Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Lipstick League - week of 5.9.11

image source: LatestBeauty.com
A young Kim Basinger for Maybelline...

This week's Lipstick League Question of the Week:

What was the first beauty product that you ever tried? 

G's answer: I believe it was the original Kissing Potion by Maybelline (pictured above). I can still remember the clear, thick, syrupy consistency of these glosses--I adored them and I loved the heavy, "gold" lids and (real) glass tubes. They felt heavy and substantial in my hand, and boy were they glossy! If this wasn't my first beauty product, then it was definitely Village Lip Lickers. Anybody remember those? They were the first lip balm to come in a slider tin, and I was obsessed with them--I had them in every flavor (Peach was my favorite!) and I even had the giant "double-barrel" ones that had two flavors in one tin. Aaaaah, memories!

The Lipstick League Links of the Week:

Pink Sith - Joeybunny has 3 new TAUPE eyeshadows to show you with her Introduction To Silk Naturals post!

Phyrra  - raves about Sonia Kashuk Makeup Remover and tells you why it's her favorite.

Vampy Varnish - loves the new Kat Von D Angeles Eyeshadow Palette.

we heart this -  All this beauty has made us thirsty! Doesn't a Lemongrass Mojito sound good right about now? We've got an original recipe for you.

Beauty Junkies Unite - has the scoop on the newest eyeshadow releases from bareMinerals for Summer 2011, and she can't stop looking at the colors. Check out her easy to re-create "Calypso Sunrise" eye look!

Clumps of Mascara -  is in a Target Beauty contest and needs your vote to advance to the next round. Vote daily!

EauMG -  EauMG introduces a perfume that proves that smelling good does not need to cost a fortune. Move over Montale! Here’s Pirouette Essentials.

Lipglossiping - will use any old excuse to drag out her collection of NARS blushes.  It’s a NARS Blush-a-palooza!!

Nouveau Cheap -  My favorite post this week is actually one I did at another blog! These new eyeshadows and liners from Hard Candy aren't just hot, they're downright baked and molten.


 What was your first beauty product?
SHARE:

15 comments

  1. I think that I always had toy lipsticks and little lipglosses growing up ... But, I remember that first tube of Maybelline Great Lash clear mascara! Then a Clinique compact and L'Oreal eyeliner. Ah, the good old days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so freaky that you remember the Kissing Potions. That was no doubt my first makeup and I have for years tried to remember the name Village Lip Lickers. I remember the sliding tin, and it seems they were highly scented.

    I bought some really cheap eye shadow and blush, but I couldn't begin to tell you what brands were around when we were kids. Think Wet N Wild type.

    G, I know you had to have had a heart throb from back then... mine is a meth head who wears a bandanna all the time. LOL, you? Tigerbeat forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Yardley make-up and my favorite product was the Shine Stopper Foundation....I used it for years! They also had a kit containing several facial masks that were creamy, but dried to a mettalic finish on your face! ( how do I remember that...?) I had the blue one on one day and my Dad walked in my room....and may have been scared!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie Bell Lip Smackers!

    (I also loved that roll on lip gloss).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie Bell Lip Smackers! (I also loved that roll on lip gloss.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I loved those roll-on glosses! I wore them in high school (and I'm approaching my 25th reunion this summer). Why can we have those again? I mean, I'm a complete glossaholic and I would love to wear something like this again, so fresh and without color. Alas, I'll deal with those yummy Maybelline squeezy tubes.

    Oh, and I remember my mom getting me a two-pan Aziza eye shadow, Christmas 7th grade, 1980. But since I was scarred by my Blue Eye Shadow school picture I'd shied away from make-up at that time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was my first too. I loved that stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the trip down memory lane :) You described the Maybelline lip gloss to a t. I also remember the tin slide lip gloss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybelline Kissing Coolers!!! Ahhhh, I LOVED those! There was even a Facebook group a while ago trying to petition to get them re-released. Talk about a lemming!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Emmm Geeee!! I so remember those glosses!! But my first makeup purchase was a cover girl compact...I love that smell to this day! Thanks for taking me back to my youth with this weeks question G!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. GIRLLL. I had so many Kissing Potions over the years, it was ridiculous! I loved them. Also, do you remember these: http://bit.ly/ixGdGM I loved those too! I think my first beauty product was probably a WNW nail polish, though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember having one of those roll on glosses too. I think it broke in my purse. :(

    Like I said on Twitter,I think Maybelline Shine Free stuff was my favorite. That & the Tinkerbell Lily of the Valley cologne, that was the most perfect LofV scent ever & I've been trying to find a dupe for about 30+ years.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my word! You guys have brought back SO many memories. I would read what someone posted and say to myself...Oh yeah, I remember those. :O) I do remember the little tins with the sliding lids with lip gloss and the clear mascara (it was the first makeup I was allowed to wear besides lip gloss)..oh and the lip gloss with the roller ball. I was young but I SO remember those. We loved them!!! What a great post!!! Love the "memory lane" topic...thank you!!!

    Oh, I SO remember Tiger Beat. Had the posters all over my room. Goodness. Is that magazine still around? My guess on the bandanna guy? Maybe Leif Garrett? My.."crush" was Matthew Laborteaux,your saying. Who? Albert Ingalls on Little House. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That lipgloss sure did go fast - apply, lick, reapply, lick, reapply, etc.! And then there were the jumbo Lip Smackers (the new ones aren't the same IMO); Aziza eyeshadows and blushes (also not the same quality now); and Avon lip balms and solid perfume pins (I posted about them on Facebook).

    TigerBeat faves? Willie Aames, Scott Baio, Paul Michael Glaser, Leif Garrett, Grant Goodeve, Rex Smith....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh man. I forgot I had these when I was a kid. I used to get the lip smacker ones ALL the time. xD

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig