Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, November 11, 2010

Review: Revlon Photo Ready Compact Makeup

I need to warn you right off the bat that this is a pretty long and detailed review. For some reason, I just cannot condense my feelings about this new foundation into a "liked it" or "hated it" type of post, and it's actually giving me flashbacks of my Maybelline The Eraser review. Gah!

OK, so let's get started:

Revlon Photo Ready Compact Foundation SPF20 in Vanilla
(retail: $13.99 at CVS, .35 oz)

NOTE: this foundation contains SPF20--I didn't even see this until I got it home because the font is so small on the compact. So I just wanted to point that out in case you also missed it.

When I purchased this foundation at CVS, I posted pics of the actual display (click here if you'd like to see) and this is a close-up of the text on the display:


This foundation claims to go from a cream to a liquid and then dry to a powder finish. The magical, mystical part of this foundation is obviously the "liquefying screen" so let's take a closer look:


I was absolutely intrigued by the fact that this screen turns the cream foundation into a liquid. You cannot remove the screen (I mean, I guess you could, but it would take a bit of prying) and I was very curious as to how the accompanying sponge was supposed to be applied to the screen in order for the "liquefying" to occur. So I documented the process:


1. The first time I applied the sponge to the product, I thought that all I probably needed to do was apply light pressure to the screen and that some light pressure would be enough to pick up the product. Looking at image number 1, this turned out not to be the case.

2. Next time, I applied even more pressure with my sponge (I didn't press hard, but just harder than the first time). Still not enough...

3. This time I pressed pretty hard, and I did get a bit more product onto the sponge, but still not enough.

4. Bingo! Pressing the sponge doesn't work, but pressing and swirling the sponge simultaneously does the trick! I can conclude, after numerous attempts, that you really need to press firmly, while swirling the sponge in a circular motion, to liquefy this product and pick up an adequate amount onto the sponge.

After using this product every day for about seven days, I find that the motion you need to use in order to get this foundation onto your sponge is similar to what you'd do with a kitchen sponge and a tough stain on a frying pan. You know how you need to press firmly and make little circles on the stain in order to clean it? That's exactly what you need to do in order to liquefy this foundation and get it onto your sponge. I hope that analogy is helpful to some of you if you decide to try this!

Here's a closer look at the inside of the compact (there is a small mirror on the inside lid), the directions and the list of ingredients (click once to enlarge, again to magnify):


And now the moment of truth: some before-and-after photos:


As you can see, I have some redness and old acne scars on my cheeks. I also have large pores in the region closest to my nose. I thought that these were the types of flaws that a product promising "complete coverage" and "perfected airbrushed skin in any light" would be able to conceal, or at least almost conceal.

Unfortunately, looking at picture number two above, this is not the case. In fact, if you look closely at that second photo, you'll see that this foundation actually pools up in my pores, and makes my skin look dry (I have very oily skin).

I do want to state that, for the record, I purchased the wrong shade for my skin. With drugstore foundations, I'm almost always the second-to-lightest shade in the range, which is what Vanilla is, but this foundation is a tad too light for me.

So I can't really comment on how it matched my skintone, but I CAN comment on its sheerness. This foundation is sheer, folks. And I'm a medium-to-full-coverage kind of gal. So right off the bat, I knew this wasn't for me.

I was, however, very pleased with the way this foundation applies and blends. It actually applies very easily on my skin, and I found that it was easy to blend it to a seamless finish without using my fingers. It's got a feather-light consistency and I think it works quite well with the accompanying sponge.

Moving on to the third picture above, I took this after applying a layer of setting powder OVER the Photo Ready Compact Makeup. Now, this is when I became the happiest, because my skin felt much more even and my flaws were much more concealed. I did not use Revlon Photo Ready Powder (because I don't own it); I used my Prestige powder foundation, but applied lightly with a fluffy powder brush.

After attempting to wear this foundation without a setting powder on top of it, I have concluded that my skin is just too oily for that to be possible. Without setting powder, I find that this foundation dries to a semi-powder finish on my skin, but it just doesn't feel as dry as I need it to feel in order to have confidence and go about my day. BUT, if you have dry skin, this foundation alone might be enough for you. If you're skin's oily like mine, I think setting powder is mandatory.

After wearing this foundation (with setting powder) for about three hours, product starts to settle into the fine lines under my eyes:

(the first two pics in this collage are of the product swatched on the inside of my arm, just to give you an idea of the consistency of this foundation)

See where I placed the arrow? That's where the product settled. This is my NUMBER ONE NO-NO for any foundation. I absolutely will not tolerate a product that settles into fine lines. I tried to correct this by using various different under-eye conealers before applying this foundation, and nothing seems to work (although I did not try using a primer first, which might help. I don't like to use primers when testing foundations though, because I want to know how a foundation works without the extra help).

I also tried stopping short of my under-eye area when applying this foundation (in other words, not applying the foundation to my eye area at all) and that works, but I just don't like the uneven feeling of not having my foundation on top of my concealer. So, for my particular needs, this is a deal-breaker for me.

So, to whom would I recommend this product? In my opinion, I think it would be best for someone who has normal-to-dry, close-to-flawless skin. If you normally use tinted moisturizers or very sheer foundations, you might love this product. I can see it working well for someone who only has minor redness and just needs to even out their skin a bit. If your skin is oily, I just don't think this is a good choice because I did notice that, before the day is through, my oily skin pretty much devours this foundation. It's a good thing I have been setting it with powder foundation because, if I didn't, I'd look like I wasn't wearing anything at all on my face by around 5PM.

All in all, I'm disappointed with how this product performed for my skin and my particular needs. The claims really sucked me in, but I only agree with about 50% of them:

"Complete coverage": no
"Superior blendability": yes
"Lightweight powder finish": sort of
"Perfected airbrushed skin in every light": no

I hope this review helps you to determine whether or not you think this foundation might be a good match for your skin. As always, I'd love to hear from you, and if there's any question I failed to answer in this review, just leave me a comment and I'd be happy to try and help!

Have you tried Revlon Photo Ready Compact Makeup yet? Do you think it might be a good product for your particular needs?
SHARE:

20 comments

  1. Saaaaad. I hate bothering with liquid foundation, but I love the coverage it gives me, so I was hoping this would work well for me. But from your review it wouldn't at all.

    Thanks a lot for saving me the money I was going to spend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey G! This foundation is so bad for dry skin! I have drier skin and this made me look super dry and patch (which my skin is not). It also creased in my undereye area and I have no fine lines! Plus, like you, I want medium to heavy coverage- not this sheer stuff. I really hated it :( I ended up returning mine actually. Sorry it didn't work for you either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bah, too gimmicky! Why should I have to use 'sponge cleaning dishes' motions to get some dang foundation on my face? I really wish cosmetics companies (drugstore brands seem particularly bad about this) would stop with the gimmicky crap and just concentrate more on their products.

    I know I sound jaded, and I really am. That L'Oreal paint roller foundation, those new eyeshadows that are supposed to be put on with ONE applicator in ONE stroke, those smokey shadows blasts from cover girl (which completely suck)....I'm just tired of all of it!

    ...I'm not sure why I picked your entry to blow off this steam, G, I'm sorry. I know you use your hard earned money to buy products and give us the lowdown and help us avoid crap like this, and for that I applaud you. You do a great thing in writing this blog, and I would surely waste a ton of money without you. So, thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh god, you just saved me $14! I was actually planning on buying this Saturday. For some reason, I thought that 'photo finish' would equal a thick, moisturizing foundation. It goes to show you how persuasive some of these makeup ad campaigns can be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that sucks! I was really hoping this would be medium-to-full coverage. Thanks for testing it out for us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. femputer, I loved the rant. I think the same thing, for heaven's sake, quit with the gimmicks! When I saw that one stroke eyeshadow, I rolled my eyes and said, "PUH-LEEEEZ!" to my computer screen. lol There is no possible way for that to work and I can't believe it made it to market.

    G, the reason I haunt this blog is because I know if something works for you, it will work for me, and vice versa. I also have the oily t-zone skin and long wavy hair, oily at the roots, dry at the ends. It's like your my long lost white twin sister! lol (I'm Native American)

    I'm glad you saved me from trying this one too. I still haven't found my holy grail foundation, although I'm lucky enough to have many okay products that do the job to choose from. Your holy grail foundation surprises me, I can't do powder. I discovered fine lines I didn't know I had because I used that 24/7 mineral foundation this summer. Now whenever I use any powder near my eyes I see them. I also like to use foundation over my concealer, so powder foundation is a definite no go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for reviewing this! At first glace, I was like, "cool!" and then after reading your review, maybe's it's not worth the try

    ReplyDelete
  8. Considering that those fine lines under my eyes are really the only wrinkles I have, I sure don't want to accentuate them!

    I'm with the others on stop with the gimmicks and put the money into a great package. Cosmetic co's could learn a lot about Maybelline's Great Lash.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hhhmmm...why not apply it with a moist sponge or a moist makeup brush for better liquification of the product? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have had this for a while, but I won't use it often because I couldn't find a good color for me and I've been in love with my Almay Nearly Naked foundation. I won't use anything else, and I have a few foundations to test that I have been putting off. From the one time I used this I found the fact that this foundation "sort of" sets to a powder finish, that process tends to dry out my skin. I think it might be best for normal to slightly oily skin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you once again G for a stellar review (I liked/totally agreed with your Age Eraser review btw, so I had a chuckle at that because it is now among my current foundations). I also appreciate the other comments about this vs. dry skin. I was hoping for a cheaper equivalent to the Lancome cream fdn I'm balking at repurchasing, but Revlon PR doesn't sound like it'll be it. And despite how well it works for me as-is, I sometimes wish Age Eraser made a cream version in a compact. Maybe someday.

    Anyway.... I too agree that companies can stop focusing so much on gimmicky packaging. All it really does now is make me wonder: so what's the REAL deal behind all the smoke and mirrors?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Based on your review and the other girl's comments, I think I too shall pass. I was really hoping you would say it was the holy grail of foundation! Thanks for the review and all the comments! Gonna stick w my Laura Geller brighten and balance. Pricy but it works for me

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good thing I'm not the least bit intrigued, I've always wanted to try one of the "famous" Revlon liquid foundations like original ColorStay and PhotoReady, but I never did, just stuck with ColorStay Active Light, which works great btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hana: Have you tried my HG Physicians Formula powder foundation? Not sure how it works if you have dry skin (mine's very oily) but it provides amazing coverage and no effort all--literally! Hope that helps. :)

    AffordableBeauty: Thank you so much for the info! Wow, if it doesn't work for dry skin, and it doesn't work for oily skin, I guess "normal" skin is the target skin for this product. Hum...

    femputer: You raise some excellent points! I have no problem at all with you unleashing your anti-gimmick feelings here, hun! Rant away! I have to say, I'm a little tired of them too. They suck me in, but seem to not deliver as well as standard products that aren't full of glitz and glam yet always get the job done. My beloved PH powder foundation has, I guess, a flashy package (bright orange and pink) but it's a solid product that always delivers. Not too much to ask, right?

    Kate: I'm so glad I could help. Yeah, if you're looking for a thick product that moisturizers, I'm afraid this probably isn't for you. :(

    RoAmy: Yeah, I'm afraid that it wasn't full-coverage AT ALL for me. :(

    Donna: I love that! We're twinsies (sisters from another mother!). As for my HG foundation, have you given it a try though? It doesn't behave like any other powder I've come across at the drugstore (although the Prestige powder foundation comes close--just a tad more sheer). I apply my moisturizer, then my ColorStay concealer under my eyes, with my Dream Mousse concealer on the rest of my face (spot coverage on discolorations) and top it with the PF foundation and I SWEAR it never, ever settles or accentuates fine lines, pores, anything. It's a dream product for me!

    Connie: Well, you DO have pretty flawless skin, so it *might* actually work for you, hun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kimberly: Well, I can't say it's definitely going to settle into those lines you have, but um, it did for me, and apparently for a few others too. :( And I agree--a lot of times, the simplest products are the best over the long haul!

    makeup: That's an interesting suggestion, but I would fear that using a damp sponge would make this product even MORE sheer, and it's already much too sheer for my personal taste. But if you try it, I'd love to know how it works for you!

    PCS: Ooooh, thank you, honey! I was wondering if you'd tried it, and now I know! That's frustrating that it doesn't seem to work for your dry skin either. I guess normal-to-slightly-oil skin works best, eh? Oh well. :(

    Steffy: I am SO glad The Eraser is working so well for you! Yay! And yeah, it doesn't seem, after reading these comments, that this product works too well for dry skin either. Big bummer! Thanks for the input about gimmicky products--it seems that we all pretty much agree that the gimmicks aren't needed--it's the quality that counts. :)

    robin: I'm so glad to have helped. Yeah, it's not holy grail for me, but maybe one of you (readers or bloggers) will find it suits your needs. It just doesn't suit mine, sadly. :(

    cjx: lol! Well, I'm so glad that Active Light works great for you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. The one in the orange compact, right? I do have that one and really like it, but it's a little pale for me so I haven't used it in awhile. Now that I think about it I'm probably pale enough for it again now... Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so glad I stumbled across your blog, your reviews are so in depth and you list details tremendously! I am in love with it already, thank you for taking the time to do what you do! It's also great that you like the same kind of products I do, so reading your review on the Covergirl nature luxe foundation has totally won me over to try it ASAP, like tomorrow lol And this Revlon photoready, I know exactly what you mean about the hate/like thing. All-in-all after I thought I liked it, I didn't. It's oily without being.. oily. It is weird and tough to explain, but, I know what you mean! ;) I'm just getting started reading your blog, but I am now a fan! Keep doing what you do, it is surely appreciated!

    -CC

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have horrible acne prone and oily skin...I also have severe acne scars....I LOVE this makeup!.. it has been the only makeup(and I have searched above and beyond) that actually covers everything without applying a seperate concealer...I do not recomend this to people with dry skin...I also don't use the sponge that it comes with...I use a stippling brush....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just found this at Big Lots for $3.50!

    ReplyDelete
  20. mine is super oily skin and i am dusky skined can u suggest affordable drug store compact and foundation for me

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig