Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Saturday, October 2, 2010

Review: Maybelline Dream Mousse Concealer in "Cream"

I swear it feels like I've read about a hundred glowing reviews for this concealer, and I honestly do not know why it's taken me so long to review it. I adore so many Maybelline products, and my holy grail concealer is Maybelline Super Stay. I guess maybe, deep down inside, I think that nothing will ever compare to that concealer for me, so that's why it's taken me so long to get to this one.
The last time there was a 40% off sale on Maybelline, I picked this up (and of course used coupons as well) and paid close to nothing for it. Let's take a look:
Maybelline Dream Mousse Concealer in Cream (retail: around $7, 0.106 oz)

The one complaint I have about Dream Mousse products is that it's impossible to tell what color you're truly getting because the glass container is so thick. It really warps your view of the shade. Anyway, I selected Cream because it looked to have the most peach in it (as I always say, I have to use under-eye concealers with a lot of peach in them to counteract my under-eye discoloration. If the product is too yellow, it makes my under-eye area look gray).

The swatches above were taken in two forms of lighting, and neither one is really 100% accurate. One of them looks too peach, and the other looks too yellow. I'd say that in real life, the color of this concealer is somewhere in the middle between the two. In other words, it's not so yellow that when I swatched it it made me run screaming back to the drugstore to return it, yet it's no so peach that it made me instantly fall in love with it.

Now for the before-and-after:


The "before" picture was taken on freshly washed and moisturized skin. The "after" picture was taken after applying Dream Mousse Concealer in Cream. I am only wearing this concealer in the "after" pic--no foundation, powder, etc. (Well, in both pics I am wearing eyebrow pencil, but that doesn't count, right?)

I'm not sure if you can really see it in the above pics, but the finish of this concealer is very natural-looking. It's wonderfully simple to apply (it glides on just like a mousse, of course, and it's light and easy to spread). It's also a snap to blend this concealer using just your fingers. It literally seems to melt right into my skin and I can hardly detect it once it's blended.

But that, my friends, is also its downfall (for me, at least). As you can see, it doesn't really conceal. Well, it doesn't conceal my dark circles (your mileage of course may vary). I think that after I blend it, it just becomes too sheer to be effective. And if I try to layer more on and build the coverage, that's where I end up with issues. I've tried building several times with this concealer and every time I do, I end up with a cakey mess and the product ends up settling into my fine lines within the hour.

This leaves me with only one conclusion: for my particular needs, I maintain that Maybelline Super Stay is still my reigning champ at the drugstore. It's my holy grail for the following reasons: there's a shade that suits me (peach!), it's long-wear even with my oily skin, it conceals my darkness better than any other drugstore concealer I've ever used, and it never, ever cakes or settles into my fine lines.

So, do you own Dream Mousse Concealer? Is it a "dream" product for you? As always, I'd love to hear from you!
SHARE:

16 comments

  1. great review. I was close of buying this, instead i got the dream matte powder which i ended up returning because the shade was too light for me and they only have limited shades boo! I should try your holy grail concealer coz i love my almay line smoothing concealer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have it...doesn't do much for concealing redness either. Def not good for under eye issues. It's meh to me. P.S. love ya Doll!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It doesn't do much for concealing for me either =(

    And I have super duper panda eye circles =(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still haven't tried this! But I used to have the Dream Mousse foundation..need to pull that out again as I don't remember how well it worked. I still love the Super Stay too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This actually is my HG product for concealing acne and scars! I don't use it for under eye, though, as I find liquid works best for me in that department. But I love love LOVE this for concealing everything else <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually really like this concealer! It's great for the redness on my cheeks and I also like it for under my eyes, especially for layering over creamy concealers- gives the undereyes an airbrushed finish as opposed to a cream/greasy finish. I also like it for blemishes! So sorry it didn't work out for you. I do also love the superstay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the super stay concealer, except that I bought light accidentally and I should have gotten medium. It still works okay since I wear foundation on top of my concealer and that seems to blend it much closer to my skin tone.

    Before I got super stay I was using a different Maybelline concealer, I can't remember the name and I'm too tired to go look for it now, but it was something illusion and it's discontinued. I got it at Big Lots for like $2-3. The way I use concealer is I dab it under my eyes, then pat it in place with my fingers. The illusion one always wanted to come off and stick to my fingers. Super stay doesn't, it stays under my eyes. I love it. Now I just need the right color. lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the review G. !! :) Too bad this didn't work out for you! I like the "after" picture though! Anyway, I'll check out your superstay review now! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Blog! Also, your review couldn't be more timely...I was gonna get this sometime over the weekend...Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Dream Mousse Concealer! I bought it in Cream a few months back, and I am hitting pan on it!! I think I might try a lighter shade next as I am really pale and I think the Cream may have been a little too dark for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't tried Maybelline SuperStay, but Maybelline Dream Mousse Concealer is my holy grail for under eye concealers at the moment! While it does settle into my fine lines a bit, it's the only concealer I've tried that doesn't go grayish by the end of the day, which is just as bad as under eye circles.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have this an it oxidizes on me! =/ I couldn't use it after a while because I have dry under eyes and it made them look super cakey. And from wearing glasses for the past 7 years I have this wierd wrinkle looking thing so that concealer does nothing, but I agree that superstay one is amazing. I just bought it and I am in love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow it looks great on you! I have this ,but found it kind of drying (I have dry skin).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Forgive me for not saying this sooner. I just wanted to take time to how to say this to the best of my abilities. I've been personally going through tough times for the past several years and so I can truly sympathize with you; even though what you are going through is probably much different, I know it must be incredibly hard. I am sorry for whatever you are going through with your family. I admire your strength :) I just want you to know that I love your blog and will be praying for you!
    I had wanted to say this better but I hope you get what I am trying to say!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad you tried this! This is my favorite concealer-- another blogger stated that it "Must!" be applied with a brush, but I agree that with your fingers is best! My dark circles are relatively covered up, but I give up a bit of coverage for the natural finish. It also seems to fill in my pores next to my nose (funny sounding, I know lol). And it really lasts ALL day! I used the SuperStay for a while (it's SO GREAT I got 3 colors for all seasons haha!) but it was a little drying on my skin.

    Such a great review and I LOVE your blog! I really enjoy your posts! Please stay around for a bit =D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really dont like it as a concealer, b but i do use it to conceal discoloration. And i don't know if any of you remember this, but my favorite makeup was maybelline express 3 in 1. that seriously was good for everything. I miss it. :(

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig