Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Saturday, October 2, 2010

Review: Smith & Vandiver Aromatherapaes Treatment Packettes

I'm not going to lie: I am a sucker, an absolute sucker, for single-serving packets. Of anything. Well, not anything, because I think it's wasteful and irresponsible to use single-serving packets of things that you love. Buy in bulk if you love something--it's cheaper in the long run, and of course friendlier to the planet.

But if you're new to a brand and would like to try out several different products without breaking the bank, single-serving packets can come in mighty handy. Plus, they're so fun, right? Who doesn't love choices and options? Especially when they're under $2 a pop.

Which brings me to this latest offering from Smith & Vandiver. If you're unfamiliar with Smith & Vandiver, it's a Monterey, California-based company founded in 1979. Since its inception, S&V "has been crafting wholesome, cruelty-free products for children and adults that feel luxurious while being safe for everyone and respecting Mother Nature". I've used Smith & Vandiver products in the past and really enjoyed them, so I was very excited when I received these new Aromatherapaes Treatment Packettes for review recently.

Let me tell you that the Smith & Vandiver Aromatherapes line means business. Six of the seven packettes I received are vegan (the Avocado & Olive Oil Face Mask is the only exception as it contains honey) and all seven packets bear the cruelty-free Humane Society stamp as well:


In addition, the formulas of these treatment packettes are free from synthetic fragrance, sulfates and parabens. Also, according to their website, Smith & Vandiver products are made in the USA, sustainably manufactured and the packaging is recycled and recyclable.

Left to right:
Avocado & Olive Oil Face Mask
Peppermint & Tangerine Foot Soak
Aloe Vera & Chamomile Shower Gel
Tangerine & Peppermint Salt Body Scrub
(retail: $1.79 each, 0.75 oz)

Left to Right:
Geranium & Rosewood Face Mud
Wheat Protein & Panthenol Hair Mask
Cucumber & Aloe Vera Face Polish
(retail: $1.79 each, 0.75 oz)

As you can see, there's a nice assortment to choose from. I've used several of these packettes over the course of the last few weeks, and the number one thing I want to tell you is that if you are a person who loves natural fragrances, you are going to LOVE these. Also, I've found that each packette contains at LEAST two applications and, in some cases, I've even been able to get three or four uses from just one packette. I think that's a great value and really helps to determine whether or not you think you might want to invest in a full-size product later down the road.

The stand-out products for me are definitely the Aloe Vera & Chamomile Shower Gel and Tangerine & Peppermint Salt Body Scrub.

The Aloe Vera & Chamomile Shower Gel is a sheer delight for me to use. If you love chamomile tea, you might fall in love with this one. To my nose, it smells just like chamomile tea (thanks to the chamomile essential oil), with just a tiny bit of fresh aloe thrown in for good measure. When I use it, I instantly feel calm. Also, I was surprised that even though it does not contain SLS, I was able to work up a nice, rich lather in no time when used with my bath pouf.

The Tangerine & Peppermint Salt Body Scrub is truly my kind of scrub. It's not one of those super oily scrubs that leaves your tub feeling like an oil slick. It's a drier sea salt scrub, and it really does the trick in terms of exfoliation. Also, it's the most perfect blend of tart, sweet tangerine and refreshing peppermint. I would eat this scrub if I could. Honestly, I adore it and I wish I had a full-size tub.

All in all, I think these Smith & Vandiver Treatment Packettes are a great option if you're looking to try some new, gentle, naturally-scented skin and hair products without spending lots of money. I think they'd be great stocking stuffers and also fun for at-home spa days with friends.

For a complete list of ingredients for any of the products mentioned in this review, click here. You can purchase Smith & Vandiver Aromatherapaes Treatment Packettes at grocery, chain drugstores, mass-market retailers, specialty stores and natural stores across the country and online here.

Have you tried anything from Smith & Vandiver? I'd love to hear from you!

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. Smith and Vandiver is made in my home town! They always have fun sales around holiday time and I have been known to make gift baskets of their goodies :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig