Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Saturday, September 25, 2010

New shades from Borghese: Milano Taupe and Vigneto Berry

As many of you know, Borghese and Sally Hansen polishes are BOGOFREE at Rite Aid this week (the sale ends today in most areas so hurry if you want to take advantage of this rare opportunity). Since the newest limited edition release from Borghese, the Scintillare Collection, has a tear-pad of $1 coupons on the display, I knew I could get two polishes (normal retail price: $8 each) for just $6 total this week.

So when I went back to Rite Aid, I immediately went to the Scintillare display (I had already purchased Purple Confetti, which I showed you here) and grabbed Vigneto Berry. Sadly, the display was pretty wiped out, so I took a stroll to the Borghese core collection display only to discover that there are FOUR NEW CORE COLLECTION SHADES! I had no idea they had added these new colors, and I immediately fell in love with Milano Taupe.

First, Vigneto Berry:



As you can see, this is a matte fuchsia with hot pink glitter. I know, I know, I just got done telling you I'm not a matte polish fan, but the prettiness of this shade sucked me in. I just had to see what it would look like with a shiny top coat over it, and I am SO glad I did:



It's impossible for me to really show you in pictures how gorgeous this shade is in person. When I put the shiny top coat over this polish (I used Seche Vite) it was like it instantly turned into the color in the bottle. When Mr. G saw it, he actually said something (very rare to get a comment out of him when it comes to nail polish). He said, "Wow, that is gorgeous! I want to EAT your nails!" Haha! It's so pretty that I'm just going to shut up and say this: if you're a fuchsia lover, and you also love tons of sparkle, you need this. Period.

Oh, and unlike Purple Confetti, one layer of Seche Vite eliminated the grainy, bumpy texture. Yay! And by the way, the above pics were taken after two coats of Vigneto Berry.

And finally, we have Milano Taupe which, again, is a new shade in the core collection:


(Apologies for how different my middle finger looks compared to the rest--I think is has to do with the angle of my finger and how the camera flash hit it--it's weird, I know, but I swear I used the same color on all of my fingers in these pics.)



Over the past year, I've seen gray taupes, silver taupes, brown taupes, green taupes and lilac taupes. But now I can officially add pink taupe to the mix. This is officially the pinkest taupe I have ever seen at the drugstore, and I don't think I have another color in my stash that even compares. I don't quite know what to make of it, actually. If it didn't have the word "taupe" in the title, I'd be more inclined to call it a nude. I don't know...what do you think? If you have the type of skin that looks horrible against all the current greiges out there, then this might be a great solution for you.

The above pics were taken after two coats and there were no application issues at all. BUT, I do want to tell you Borghese fans that the BRUSH is extremely different in this new core collection shade! Instead of the signature "double brush", Milano Taupe has one single, very narrow, very flat brush. It's literally half the size of a standard Borghese brush!

Here's a pic for comparison:

Top: Milano Taupe
Bottom: Vigneto Berry

I was literally shocked when I started using Milano Taupe because it's just so dramatically different than the standard Borghese brush! I know that some of you love the standard "double brush" and some of you hate it, and I don't know if this is a permanent change or what, but I just want you to be prepared.

I personally found the Milano Taupe brush to be VERY easy to work with (the standard brush can be bulky and somewhat clumsy for me) so I actually hope that this is a permanent change that they're rolling out with the new core collection shades. But I guess only time will tell.

So, did you pick up any Borghese polishes during the BOGOFREE sale at Rite Aid? What shades did you get? And what do think about this different brush?
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. Do you happen to own Tickle My France-y by OPI? I'm curious about how Milano Taupe compares to it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question, how do you always paint your nails slightly above your cuticles? I've pondered that for a while

    ReplyDelete
  3. J: Sorry hun, I don't own that shade. :(

    cjx: How? Well, if I'm in a hurry, I just paint very slowly and carefully and I stop short of my cuticle. If I have more time, I do what I explained above, but then I take an old eyeliner brush and dip it in acetone to clean up the edges and make the lines super clean. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'd backtrack anything I ever said about mattes if I saw Vigneto Berry! That's a serious killer color. Maybe they'll get this color in at CVS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vigneto Berry is soooo gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I might even prefer Vigneto Berry matte rather than with the top coat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh boy... I didn't know about the brushes. I have narrow nails because my hands are kid sized, this is going to be fun trying to deal with these humongo brushes. I did pick up a couple of Borghese polishes during the sale. I got Stellare Notte and Scintilla Magic. Since I don't have Ruby Pumps I figure Scintilla Magic is close enough for me.

    I'll let you know when I try these out if I cover my entire hand with one swipe of the brush...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought at Walgreens the other day Bourghese nail polish a two pack with the base coat
    for 7.99, it was the nail polish and base coat together, great deal. The color I got was La Strada Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe I have an older formulation of Milan Taupe (I picked up this color during the last CVS sale, it was on sale and the slot machine coupon was going on as well) and my brush is the "normal" borghese brush. hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. EverythingsDiamond, you might have missed it because that was last week's sale (99 cent stuff at 3/$1.98). This week WnW is 50% off at Walgreens though!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig