Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Review: Maybelline Eyestudio Cream Eyeshadow Trio in Pedal to the Metal

When I was chatting with the lovely ShakeupYourMakeup on Twitter the other day, I told her that I don't generally get along well with cream eyeshadows. She asked me if I had purchased one of these new Maybelline trios yet, and I told her I was scared of them because, well, I have super oily lids. But then a deal came around that I couldn't resist (I had a CVS coupon that I could pair with a manufacturer's coupon) so instead of $6.99, I ended up paying just $3.99 for this:

Maybelline EYESTUDIO Cream Eyeshadow Trio in Pedal to the Metal (retail: $6.99 at CVS)

I love silvers and I love bronzes, so it was a no-brainer that I was going to purchase Pedal to the Metal. And when I swatched the shades (above) I was very pleasantly surprised to see how pigmented these creams are--much more than I was anticipating.

However, I'm afraid that this is where my love affair with this trio ends. In the days following this purchase, I've tried wearing these colors alone, with primer, and also with powder eyeshadow layered over them. I've tried applying them with my fingers and also with a few different brushes (tip: they apply so much easier with fingers--with a brush I've found that the pigmentation is weak and they apply much more sheer than when I apply them with my finger). Each time I wear them, no matter what I do, they crease like crazy. 

I'm now going to show you some VERY scary pics taken five hours after application. Unfortunately, I forgot to take "Before" pics of this look, so let me tell you that I used the silver shade on my lid and crease, and I also used a little it of the yellow shade on my browbone.

I also decided to use my Cover Girl Liquiline Blast eyeliner in Silver Spark on this particular day, thinking that since this liner wears so well (and for so long) it would be interesting to see if the Maybelline cream shadow would affect the staying power of the liner. 

Again, brace yourselves because this is not pretty:
These pics were taken after wearing these cream shadows for five hours. The weather that day was in the low 80s, and I did a lot of running around in my car and also playing with my 3-yr-old niece (playtime included blowing bubbles outside, making a fort out of chairs and bedsheets, things like that). Admittedly, my brows are a hot mess in these pics, but I literally did not want to touch my eyes at all before taking these pics, so that you could see exactly what I saw when I looked in the mirror.

As you can see, my lids pretty much devoured these shadows. The creasing is bad, and my long-wearing Liquiline eyeliner has been completely destroyed as well.  Looking closely, you can also see that there is a considerable amount of transfer from my upper lid down to my lower lid, where this cream shadow literally melted and ran down to underneath my eyes.

I do want to state, for the record, that I did not wear a primer in these pics, but I also can confirm that, with a primer, these shadows didn't perform much better for me. And when I layered a powder shadow over these cream shadows, it actually made my powder shadows crease.

In fairness, I have not tried the combination of primer, cream shadow, and then powder shadow. Perhaps this is the winning combo to stop these shadows from disappearing or creasing, but as far as I'm concerned, they're just not worth that type of effort (for me, at least).

If you have oily lids and you want to wear a shadow that's going to stay put during warm-weather months, I wouldn't suggest Maybelline Eyestudio Cream Eyeshadow Trios. But if you don't have oily lids, this product  might perform a lot better than it did for me.  Again, this is just my experience, but I really can't recommend this one to my fellow oily-skinned gals.

Do you own one of these trios? How do you like them? I'd love to hear from you.
SHARE:

13 comments

  1. Eek, I hate creasing. I do not own any of the Maybelline trios, and I will probably not be buying any. Thanks for the warning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a huge bummer! I was so excited when I saw the swatches, and then I scrolled down...

    Such a shame - I know I would have the same problem! Thanks or posting, maybe someone has some secrets on how to make them work? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found a trick that makes them stay: layer primer, powder e/s, cream e/s and then layer of same powder e/s again. Certainly a hassle when you don't have the time nor the patience, but for me, the intensity this technique adds to my eye looks is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad I saw your review before purchasing these shadows when I saw them the other day at Walgreens. They look so pretty but now I don't have to waste my time with disappointment and returning them back to the store.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sucks! I was hoping for a replacement for my benefit creaseless creams. Oh well, I'll just fork over another $19, they last like 2 years so it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was eyeing these ... thanks for the review (and saving my wallet some pain)!

    Do you have any recommendations for cheap cream eyeshadows, or do these not exist at all?

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmmm I had a feeling this was the case =[ They DO look really pretty in the pan. I was tempted to get one when I first saw them in the drugstore couple weeks back, but I decided to wait and see what you have to say since I seem to pretty much get the same experience from products as you do! Thanks for the review; will NOT be picking this up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually really love these! I tried them out with a primer/base/eyeshadow and they lasted about 6-7 hours before creasing and I have very oily lids. Hope this helps :) I have to agree though, without the powder eyeshadow on top or without the primer as the first step, these were a disaster!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I own them all and hate them all. I was so excited and wanted to love them. The worst part is that while I love layering shadows over different bases, especially different colored bases, I also like a product like this to be able to be worn alone. I don't buy a product labeled "cream eye shadow" to always have to wear a primer and powder eyeshadow with it. Aren't we all trying to cut down on our "getting ready" time, not add a step to it? 2 thumbs down for these imho. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I picked up flash of forest, neutral liaisons, and pedal to the metal. The only one I have actually used so far was the green in flash of forest. I used UDPP Eden, blended the green on top and then patted on my powder eyeshadow. I did not experience any creasing but I don't have oily lids. It really made my teal eyeshadow pop.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How did you get that coupon for maybelline? Was is from the CVS website, or from your card?

    Also, I found a lipstick from the Poptimistic Pretty Collection randomly in the Salsa Sun Collection in a walgreens store.

    Is there any way I can get the price to be lowered on it, since it has been around so long? Usually stores mark down stuff eventually, if I'm not mistaken.

    ReplyDelete
  12. aw that sucks these didn't work out for you! i keep seeing these at cvs and i am thinking about getting one but now i dont know...we'll see if i do, i don't have oily lids so maybe they'll work, i'll let you know if they do :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't like cream eyeshadows, I prefer good old powder. Even high-end brands like NARS' cream shadows didn't work! They had no pigmentation and creased within an hour. Needless to say, I don't think I'll be trying the Maybelline anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig