Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Review: Cover Girl Liquiline Blast Eyeliner Pencils

I know a lot of you have been waiting for this review but I really wanted to take my time with these pencils and give them a thorough testing before I shared them with you, so that's why it took me so long. So let's not waste anymore time, right? Here we go:

Cover Girl Liquiline Blast Eyeliner Pencils in Green Glow and Silver Spark (retail: around $8.99 each)




I picked up both of these shades when they were on BOGO1/2OFF at Rite Aid, plus I had some coupons so it brought my total down to about $6 for BOTH of them (I know I'm a broken record but ya gotta wait for sales and use coupons to get things for a steal, folks!).

The first thing I noticed about these pencils (aside from the obvious fact that they're very similar to Urban Decay 24/7 eyeliners and all of the other drugstore versions out there) is the unique smudge tip:


It was hard to capture this in photos, but the sponge on this smudge tip is different than any other pencil I've ever seen. It's a triangular wedge-shaped tip with rounded corners. I LOVE it because you can really get down into your lashline and smudge to your heart's content.



And the pencils themselves:


Just like UD 24/7 liners, Prestige Total Intensity liners, Milani Liquifeyes liners, etc., the "lead" in these pencils is encased in that easy-to-sharpen black plasticky material (just what IS it, anyway??).

Let's take a look at some swatches for comparison:

(CORRECTION: I have no idea why I labeled the third swatch "Hard Candy" when it's obviously URBAN DECAY Mildew. Sorry about that!)

The first thing you might notice in these swatches is something I immediately noticed when I first tried these: they're not as deeply pigmented as UD or even Prestige Total Intensity liners. In fact, when I first applied these CG liners to my eyes, they almost seemed, for lack of a better word, translucent. I had to go over my line a few times to really get the same intensity that I'm able to get with just one swipe of my UD and Prestige liners.

Now let's take a look at how they passed my smudge test (I ran my index finger back and forth against all of the swatches for about 10 seconds):


Not bad at all! The CG liners held up just as nicely as the UD and Prestige liners! In fact, while actually wearing the Liquiline liners, I was PLEASANTLY surprised to discover that the staying power on my LOWER lash line (something that isn't too great with both UD and Prestige, due to my very oily skin) was MUCH better than I anticipated. I will go so far as to say that, in general, I found the Liquiline liners to have better staying power in general (when compared to UD and Prestige). I think this might be due to the slightly "sticky" consistency of the Liquiline pencils after they dry or "set". They have a very slight gummy feel to them when they're on your lids, but it's not anything that bothered me at all. I mean, how often do you actually touch your liner after you apply it, right?

So are these as smooth and silky to apply as the UD and Prestige liners? Well, they DO glide on the eyes easier than traditional eye pencils, but for me, they're not quite as smooth as UD or Prestige. But they're close. Very close. Only a trained expert could probably tell the difference. LOL! (Yes, that was a joke.)

Something else I noticed was that Silver Spark has the EXACT same sparkly effect as the new Avon Glimmerstick Diamonds liners that I reviewed a while back (click here to compare). Interesting!

So before I show you some pics of me wearing both shades, I want to warn you that I applied my makeup in a serious hurry before I took these pics. My allergies are really acting up this week and my eyes are a watery mess. So I tried to do my brows, liner and mascara very quickly before my eyes started to water again, and the result is these very sloppy pics. Sorry, but I hope you get the idea of what these colors look like on! Also, in all pics I am not wearing any eyeshadow so that the true shade of the liners can be seen:


Silver Spark
(can you see the silver sparkle?)



Green Glow (with black liner on my waterline)


In person, Green Glow is a crazy-bright lime green that almost borders on neon. It was actually shocking to see this color in full sunlight on my eyes and, for me, it's a bit too light to wear on its own without washing me out, thus the black liner on my waterline.

My final verdict on Cover Girl Liquiline Eyeliner Pencils: Due to the sheer color of the two colors I purchased, I cannot say that these are spot-on dupes of Urban Decay 24/7 eyeliners. The pigmentation is not there are on the first swipe, like with UD liners, BUT, you can successfully build for more intensity. CG Liquiline Eyeliners glide across the lids easily, but not exactly as smoothly as UD liners. So do you need CG Liquiline Eyeliners in your life? If you like to smudge your liner out for a smokey look, then YES. You've got to experience this smudge tip for yourself. Also, if UD/Prestige/Milani liners have smudged or smeared for you, then you definitely should give Liquilines a try. These liners lasted much longer on my lower lash line than any of the other liners (especially if you blend them out a bit with that smudge tip).

So, what do you think? Are you interested in the newest Cover Girl Blast product? Do you already own any of these? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

SHARE:

28 comments

  1. Loved that green liner... can't believe they are so great. I want to go out and buy these right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The green looks awesome on you! I got 4 of these and surprisingly, that one is my favorite on me too. I was a little leery about bright green on pale, cool-toned, blue-eyed me, but it works (at least, I think it does, LOL)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you reviewed the. I love love the Milani pencils and wanted to try the cover girl ones in different colors. Silver looks very pretty.
    You Rock

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love these! I found the same thing, it lasts much longer on the bottom lid than most eyeliner does. I love the silver on you, I think I am going to go back and get that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am definitely interested in getting these. I really need to branch out with my makeup and eye looks. All I have are black and brown eyeliners. I've been thinking about getting more funky colors, but never got around to it. I'll definitely be picking these up. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the thorough review, I keep seeing good reviews on these, your comparative review was super helpful, since no one's noted that some of these are sheer yet.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. liptonTEE: I hope you can find these in your area--I know they're not available *everywhere* just yet but they should be more widely available very soon. :)

    JenJen: Are you kiddin' me, honey? Against your skintone and eye color I bet Green Glow looks freaking AMAZING on you! I'm thrilled that this color works so well for you--the jury's still out in terms of how much I think I'll use this one. So far, I haven't found the perfect eyeshadows to pair it with. What shadows do you use when you wear it? :)

    organizingwithoutlimits: I would love to know what you think of these since you love the Milani liners! Keep me posted? :)

    Mary: Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know that you had a similar experience with these! I am SO happy they worked better on your lower lid too!!! And I bet the silver would look gorgeous on you! You should totally get it. :D

    Stephanie: I of course would love to know what you think if you get some of these! And girlfriend, you need to branch out and add some color into your eyeliner stash! What are ya waiting for? These colors would look stunning on you! :)

    Ariana: You are so welcome! Seriously? No one else has noted that these are sheer(er) than the UD liners? Wow...I am so surprised since that was one of the first things I noticed. Maybe not all of the shades in the range are as sheer as the two I got? Wouldn't that be my dumb luck. lol! But also, I was surprised that Silver Spark had micro-glitter in it while Green Glow is a true shimmer. Now I'm wondering what the others are like! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ah, everytime i see your eyes i just sigh and wish mine could be as beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oldfashioned: OMG, you are just too sweet, I tell you! Every time I post one of these pics I absolutely cringe, thinking that people can see every little flaw. So I really cannot thank you enough for that. Honestly. You totally made my day. :) And PS: I bet your eyes are far more beautiful than mine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. After looking at the swatches, the olive one looked amazing but on your eyes the green one defintely looks the best. I think the silver is not worth having. Might give the green one a try, although havent really used covergirl products before! I guess its not easy to find that brand here in the UK. Please check out my new blog, http://charstarblog.blogspot.com. Thanks ! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. CharStarFashionBeautyBlogger: I'm glad you seem to like the green so much. As for the silver being "not worth having", you're certainly entitled to your opinion but I know for myself and others here, we LOVE the silver! It's definitely my fave of the two.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh, what a great find! I definitely need to get my hands on these babies!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmm, not so sure about them. The lime color is wicked, but the sheerness is a bit of a turn-off, especially since I like to wear my bright eyeliners with equally bright makeup, so I worry about getting them to stand out. That said, the lime color is incredible. However, I stocked up on UD 24/7 minis during the last F&F, so I'm not really in search of liners for now. Though I might have to check out the Prestige ones, now! I've tried their regular eye pencils, and I hated them because they were to hard, and the pigmentation was terrible, but I haven't tried those softer ones.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmm I find the new smudge tip very intriguing but I'm not sure if I could pull off green or silver liner! I usually stick to basic black and brown :P

    Nevertheless, I think I'll give these babies a try. Thanks for the tip :]

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanks for reviewing these R! i was wondering if it was just another pencil with a new marketing spin haha. i might pick up that prestige pencil you swatched here, it looks gorgeous!! i can never figure out those smudger things at the end of the sticks, i don't know how to smudge haha. i guess i've tried my whole life to get my eyeliner NOT to smudge that i can't get it to smudge and look right? now i'm rambling... :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have the green liner and I have to say I get compliments each time I wear it. I pair it up with the L'oreal HIP duo in Riotous(the lighter bright green is almost the same color by the way)I use UD primer and the color lasts over 14 hours. I want to try the blue one next, but it's not available in my area, someone must have bought it up LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. i had to laugh when i saw this post last night because i had just gotten in from drugstore and grocery shopping and spent about 15 minutes in CVS dithering over whether to buy one of these or not. recalling my rather large stash of eyeliners, and not having read any reviews from anyone on them, i decided to pass, but at the grocery store they had a big display of the new WnW products you reviews months ago (yes it's sad- the first i've seen of them! you California girls have it good!).

    so i bought a single shadow (copper penny) and it's a rosey/copper/gold that is amazing and i will go back for more. i love the quads....none of them really jumped out at me except one but i already own similar shades so DILEMMA.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for the review! There are so many of the news, lower price-point liners coming out and I really wanted to see some in action before I started buying. I think that, based on your opacity comments, I might stick with Prestige (and Nyx).

    Also, I totally confuse Urban Decay and Hard Candy ALL THE TIME! I have no idea why! Always have! You are not alone. :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. I also paired the green with the Hip duo as Lysses said and it is a perfect match. I bought them all and love them. The purple and blue ones are even better than the green and silver.

    ReplyDelete
  20. thanks for the great review! i'll have to try those out :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Have you seen the Loreal HiP chrome eyeliners? They have the same black material. They only have four colors that I know of, Black, Silver, Gold, and Purple.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Stephine: I'd love to know what you think when you try one! :)

    Lindsey: It sounds like you're pretty much set for liners for a while, but I have to say, if you like the UD ones, I think you might love the Prestige version. Definitely give them a shot. :)

    SeeingSunshine: Oh, they have these in black too, honey! So if you're more comfortable with black liners, don't worry, you can always get one in black if you decide to give CG a try. :)

    kellie: OMG, I totally understand what you mean! It's HARD to get the hang of deliberately smudging your liner--think of it as just "softening" the straight line. Sometimes I do it just for an overall softer look and if I don't think "smudge" when I'm doing it, it somehow works better for me. I just say to myself: "I'm *softening* this line." LOL! :)

    Lysses: OMG, thank you so much for the shadow rec! I totally need to get it and give this a shot. You're the best! :D

    beautifulmonday: That is too funny! Well hey, at least the WnW stuff is there now, and you can finally explore it! I'm so glad you like the e/s single you got! yay! :)

    Sarah: I am SO glad I'm not alone with confusing HC and UD! Whew! :) Also, I think if you already like the UD liners, then you probably will love the Prestige ones too. Keep me posted? :)

    ilovesoap: Ooooh, another person who pairs the green liner w/ the HiP duo! OK, that settles it. I'm getting that eyeshadow! :D

    Emma: You are so welcome, sweetie!

    Alyssum: Yep. And I actually reviewed them here a while back. They ran and smudged like crazy for me and I ended up returning the one I got almost immediately after I bought it (I had the Silver one). Do you own any? I hope they work better for you than they did for me! :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. I will totally look out for these!!

    I just had to tell you that I stopped at the Dollar General store tonight (similar to Family Dolar - not a 1$ store but all items are ceap and usually 1$ 2$ 3$ 4$ ...) and I found E.L.F. makeup brushes and tools for 1$!!! The also had some Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Polishes for 2$ and Assorted Wet N Wild and Cover Girl products for 2$ - 5$!!!

    I scored some really soft brushes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Emeryldmist: Ooooh, thank you so much for the great info! Would you mind doing me a HUGE favor and leave a comment with this info on my new feature on the right-hand sidebar (Great deals YOU have spotted)? It would help SO much for everyone to know about these deals--especially those who live near a Dollar General. Thanks so much, sweetie! :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey R! :)
    The first day that I wore the green, I kept it simple and only used one shade - just a slightly shimmery, sheer white. The other time I jazzed up that same shade with a new LE Wet 'n Wild baked eyeshadow (the green one) - which I am LOVING too! Speaking of those, you should really keep your eye out for those and pick 'em up if you find them - so worth it! I posted a review and swatches a few days ago so if you're interested, have a look! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. These look so nifty! I got the blue one but I haven't tested it out yet... I'm hoping it doesn't smudge on me like the 24/7's do!

    ReplyDelete
  27. the review is great! i've read that people have had issues sharpening the pencils after usage though...how did you find it?

    ReplyDelete
  28. thanks for the review! how did you find sharpening the pencils though? i've heard that some people have had issues with these...

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig