Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, July 26, 2010

From the Vintage Vault...

Alright so I know I said I'd be doing a "From the Vintage Vault" post about once a week, but I'm already breaking my own rules because, well, it looks like you're as excited about these recently-uncovered vintage beauty products as I am! And so many of you requested that I show you some of my makeup (as opposed to nail products) that it made me want to dig through my box and post a few!

First up is one that I'm sure many, many of you have in your own collections:

Then and now: Original MAC lipstick (left), modern-day MAC lipstick (right)

MAC Bronx (circa 2000), MAC Modesty (2010)

Interesting that MAC products were originally made in Canada, but now they're made in the USA. I never realized they even switched locations.  Also, they didn't print the texture of the lipsticks on the tubes back in the day!

Here's what Bronx looks like:

MAC Bronx (circa 2000), MAC Modesty (2010)

I'm not even sure when Bronx was discontinued, but all I know was that, at the time, it was one of the only true nudes I could find that really worked for me. It's interesting to see that when MAC changed their lipstick packaging, they shortened the silver part of the case--it used to be so much longer, as you can see above.

Moving along:

Then and now: 
Avon Glazewear Liquid Lip Color in Gold Digger, circa 1999 (left)
Avon Glazewear Liquid Lip Color in Clear, 2010 (right)

It's hard to see in these pics but the brush handle is actually metallic blue on the old-school Glazewears, and the printing on the tube is metallic blue as well.


And as you can see, Avon has made the doe-foot applicator more short and compact whereas before it was longer and thinner.

And finally, anyone remember THESE?

L'Oreal Rouge Pulp Liquid Lip Colour in Blushing, circa 2002



Oh man was I mad at L'Oreal for discontinuing Rouge Pulp! Haha. I think I bought this in the early '00s and, as far as I can remember, I would still occasionally spot these at Big Lots up until a few years ago.  What I really loved about Rouge Pulp was that these weren't glosses--they were true liquid lipsticks and had awesome pigmentation and staying power.  Did any of you love Rouge Pulp back in the day as well?

Hope you enjoyed this second edition of From the Vintage Vault, and as always, I would LOVE to hear from you if you owned anything here, or if these pics brought back memories for you!
SHARE:

31 comments

  1. wow that MAC lipstick looks sooo weird, could you still use 10 year old lipstick?

    I think many MAC products are still made in Toronto (Canada) they are still labelled as such.

    productrater.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Rouge Pulp! Man, L'Oreal shoudl bring those back. I had the reddest of reds I could possibly find. I miss that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the blue and the acid green im the Rouge Pulps! I also loved the smell. Such a strong but nostalgic scent!

      Delete
  3. not sure why, but I think I like the old MAC packaging better. somehow it looks more refined. thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a cool feature! Man, I'd be soooo happy to find and old box of cosmetics! Like a time capsule! Or like when you find a $20 in the coat you haven't worn since last winter...only better! LOL :) I had forgotten all about Rouge Pulp! I remember I had a nude one that I loooved - it may have even been the same one you have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think these posts are super interesting and unique :) Keep 'em coming please~

    MAC was originally a Canadian brand until Estee Lauder bought the company :) It's funny how I know this yet I barely own MAC. The chairman of Estee Lauder, Leonard Lauder, graduated from my high school and when he visited us , he told us how he bought companies like MAC, Bobbi Brown, Origins, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy geez, I remember buying Rouge Pulp in lime green and ice blue just because they were on clearance! Neither one did much for me, as I recall, surprise surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rouge Pulp!!! I loved that stuff! I had a few different shades, one of which I think was the same one you have. I liked it because it wasn't sticky and had good pigment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! I've never seen a Mac lipstick like that! I have a few of the Glazewear glosses that look like the old one hanging around my house though. And i LOVED Rouge Pulp, i still have a bright red one. And also thanks to Natasha above I now need to find these green and blue shades!

    ReplyDelete
  9. More More More! Ha ha I think all the newer designs are better - especially the lipglosses. They were too long back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. rouge pulp. omg. i had a couple of those in late 90s. and i am ashamed to admit i stole them from someone! i guess i wasn't too worried about bacteria and honesty back in the day. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. ooh i like the old MAC packaging! i have a square Glazewear lippie as well, hmm didnt know i had it that long!
    cant wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. PS--i wonder what would happen if your tried to B2M a 20 yr old MAC item like that?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVED ROUGE PULP! I found two shades at a dollar store a couple of years ago. They weren't shades I even liked the look of, but I was so excited that I bought them anyway. And you know what? Even the BAD shades are GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the old MAC lipstick packaging better. It's hard to believe 2000 was 10 years ago..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh, I LOVED Rouge Pulp. Not to date myself, but I remember having a light pink Rouge Pulp that I ROCKED in high school. Totally forgot about it until this post! Wish they would come back.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't own any of these, but I am loving these posts! I'm so glad you're posting them for us!

    ReplyDelete
  17. ♥ing these posts! Rouge Pulp - man, those were sooo awesome. They were my first lipstick/lip gloss purchases back in the early 2000s (LOL, so weird typing that out, as if the early 2000s was 20 years ago or something!) I think I had the very same shade you have posted up too!

    Keep these awesome posts coming - I'm super curious as to what else you have!


    P.S. I also noticed that you no longer have "Recessionista" on as your author's name!! I always felt a little weird calling you "Rec" or "Recessionista" so I'm glad you've posted your name :-D

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow i definitely like MAC's new packaging!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i always wanted to buy Rouge Pulp but never did. (i wanted the weird shades, which may have been part of the reason i held off.) i don't recall them leaving- they were just gone all of a sudden. wow.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, I had all three of those, but not in the same color... my MAC oldie was Desire, Glazewear was Tickled Pink, and the Rouge Pulp was a four-letter word, like Hush or something like that. Thanks for those pics, they took me back for a second...

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG, I loved Rouge Pulp. I was in middle school wearing those. I soo miss them

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have an old Rouge pulp?!?!? Dang.....

    ReplyDelete
  23. OMG, Rouge Pulp. I loved that stuff, and had forgotten all about it til now. Thanks for reminding me - gonna go troll ebay and see if I can find any that don't look totally sketchy and unsanitary.

    I also wore a L'Oreal mascara when I was into Rouge Pulp - I think it was Voluminous in Black Cherry, a really nice deep purple shade. Man, was I mad when that got discontinued.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have a large collection of the Rouge Pulps -- i bought waaaay too many back when they were d/c'ed -- and I still use them sparingly (I have no idea how I've managed to keep them in such good condition for so long, just lucky, I guess!). My favorites were the oranges/peaches and reds, and to this day I still get a little angry over their having been d/c'ed. I blame Rouge Pulps and a liquid lipstick I had back in the 80s for my inability to wear lipgloss that is either sheer or just doesn't have strong color.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Rouge Pulp! Oh, I loved that stuff. I just threw away my last tubes a few weeks ago; I found them stashed deep in my makeup storage and while I admit I paused for a moment (thinking 'Maybe, maybe!'), in the end I knew they had to go. They smelled so lovely and went on so smoothly back in their heyday! I have one of the Hip lip glosses that reminds me a lot of my favourite RP, so that's something.

    ReplyDelete
  26. hey girl, another fun post from the vintage vault! MAC actually is a Canadian brand. I believe that's where it all started.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I loved the L'Oreal Rouge Pulps! My first favorite "real" lip color was a light nude/pink with a really slight iridescence to it, that I think was called Goddess. I felt so grown up when I wore it, since it wasn't clear, but also wasn't sparkly or glittery like most of the transitional makeup colors I had when I was 12 and 13. I would definitely wear that color again if I could snag it, it was great.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig