Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, July 25, 2010

From the Vintage Vault...

You asked for it, lovely readers, and here it is! This is the first in a series of many posts where I will show you my recently uncovered retro drugstore and high-end makeup collection. I am SO happy that you all were just as excited as I was about my recent discovery of an old box of makeup (from my personal collection) from the 80s and 90s. So for this series, I'm going to show you pics of some vintage products, and if I have a modern, up-to-date version of the same product, I'll post them side-by-side.

I've also been asked if I can include old magazine ads for these original products, so if I can find them, I'll add those as well.

For the first post in this series, I had to go with a few of my most prized possessions:

Wet n Wild #415A Nail Color, circa 1994


Then and now: #415A (left), #466 Blue Moon (right)

Thinking back, I specifically remember buying this polish in the mid-90s because it was the ONLY shade at the drugstore that had an edgy look to it. TRUST ME, there just were not blue polishes in the drugstores back then, so I about flipped my lid when I spotted #415A. It was the only blue polish, and just one more reason why I have been a long-time, devoted Wet n Wild fan for so many years. They were doing it long before anyone else (at the drugstore), and for 99-cents a bottle! I can't believe their prices really haven't increased since the late 80s (just another reason why I love me some Wet n Wild!). And by the way, the bottle shape and brush handle color of 415A were this same style back in the late 80s, but I think the graphics were slightly different.

Moving on:

Sinful Colors Drunk & Dizzy, circa 1991


Then and now: Drunk & Dizzy (left), Glass Pink (right)

OK, does the name of this polish crack you up or what? But BOY what a pretty shade, right? And pretty fashion-forward for 1991, if I do say so. I remember that I bought this color when I was away at college in Northern California, which is how I can date it back to 1991 (or around there), and I remember thinking I was just so hip and trendy for rocking this shade on my nails. Ha! But you know what? I think I prefer the graphics on the 90s bottle more than I do the current bottle! What do you think?

Next up:

Zoya Aliana, circa 1993

Then and now: Zoya Aliana (left), Zoya Happi (right)


I can specifically remember when and where I purchased Aliana. I was in college, living off-campus, so that puts it between 1992-1994. My roommate and I were OBSESSED with painting our nails (as a way of procrastinating studying, I recall), and I remember freaking out when we went to our local beauty supply and spotted this new collection of polishes by a mysterious brand called "Zoya". I totally remember being obsessed with Zoya back then (as I still am to this day) because their polishes wore like iron and the colors were just gorgeous (glad to see things haven't changed!). Which graphic do you prefer? Old-school or new-school?

Oh and before I forget, check it out:

Even back in the early 90s, Zoya polishes were Toluene & Formaldehyde free!

And finally, here's a REALLY old one from the Vintage Vault:

Miss Marion Frosted Nail Polish in Futurama, circa 1970s(??)


I think I got this polish from a co-worker years ago who was cleaning out her beauty stash and asked me if I wanted anything (duh!). But here's the CRAZY part: Miss Marion is still being manufactured TO THIS DAY, and this shade, Futurama, is still available! Check it out here! So I don't really know if the bottle above is from the 60s, 70s or 80s because, according to the site, Miss Marion has been making nail polish since 1962. I'm just guessing from the wear on the label that it's got to be from the 70s or earlier. All I know is that this formula is definitely not Big 3 Free. Haha!

So that's it for this edition of From the Vintage Vault. I hope you enjoyed this stroll down memory lane and, as always, I'd love to hear from you. Did you own any of these polishes back in the day? Did my pics bring back some memories?
SHARE:

50 comments

  1. that was awesome! i love the then and now!!! i think i had that WnW too. good times. and that sinful is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this series, a awesome blast from the past :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to ask...are these polishes still usable?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Miss Marion Futurama bottle is so cool and the Sinful Colors Drunk & Dizzy is a very edgy, modern, and grown-up color. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this is so cool! I remember Elizabeth did a post on Lacquered Lizard about the Miss Marion polishes - I'd never heard of them before. I definitely remember those WNW bottles! And the Sinful bottle had a neat font - that color is still really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, I remember the old WnW bottles. Got a few of them myself. Ahhh, memories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I second the question of whether any of these are still usable! If so, I wanna see a swatch of that awesome Sinful color! :] I totally remember those old WnW bottles; I treasured my bottle of WnW "Ice Blue Pearl" as a kid growing up in the nineties and I had several glitter topcoats in that same packaging, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a great series! And you seriously struck gold finding that box of makeup. Like who would have guessed? I'd be so excited, haha.
    I love how you show the then and now, too; it's fun to see how the packaging has changed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you're on to something here. Loving this Vintage Vault series! Keep 'em coming. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a nice post!! :) I love how you show the before and after, the packaging of all these products has changed so much! :)

    drugstoreandbargainlover

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that Sinful is absolutely gorgeous!!! I like their old design too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that was cool! I wonder what cosmetics today are gonna look like in a few years :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I usually throw away my nail polishes after about a year or two. They get all gummy and I don't like working with them. Do you add a thinner to yours to keep them for so long?

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG, I remember those old WnW nail polish bottles. #415A was my favorite color! I recall snatching up all the colors WnW had during those days, including a dark green shimmery one, matte black (if I can recall correctly, WnW was THE company that launched black nail polish), and silver glitter.

    Great post - this brought back warm fuzzy memories of the 90s for me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just seeing that WnW bottle made me smile. I think they were the first black nail polish I bought. I had a bunch of glitter polishes from them that were huge, chunky pieces of glitter too. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Miss Marion!!??? I wonder if that pre-dates Sally Hansen.

    I wouldn't have touched a blue colored nail polish with a 10-foot pole before 1998! Had a roomie who turned me onto to it.

    How fun to have a stroll down nail polish memory lane. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this post! I love seeing that old Wet n Wild bottle. Why did they even change them? Haha. I used to have so many. I had that same blue color and when I used it on my toes my dad would ask what I dropped on my foot.

    ReplyDelete
  19. this is such an awesome post!!! it's like going down nail polish memory lane! LOL.... it's amazing how you still have the old school ones... teehee

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh wow this is amazing! The Zoya polish is my favourite, the logo is just SO 90s :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the trip down memory lane! I had the blue wet and wild!!! everyone said it looked like i had jelly beans for nails!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i cant wait for more editions!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This was such a fun post! :)
    The blue wet and Wild is so pretty. I wish I had held on to some of my oldies.

    ReplyDelete
  24. How fun!!! I can't wait for more posts like these :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. I definitely prefer the old Sinful graphics - I love that font! I like the current Zoya better, though. And as for Miss Marion...wow! I can't believe they're still making the same color. That's pretty amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I had that exact same WnW polish! What a blast from the past. I loved it to pieces but my mother absolutely loathed it. I must admit that I prefer the newer Blue Moon version of it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I loved this post!! I'd love to see more cosmetics though like eyeshadows, lipsticks, and blushes.. and even swatches (although the stuff might be expired by now.)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the look of Drunk and Dizzy! I'm guessing the shade has long since been discontinued?? They should bring it back - I reckon it would be popular!

    ReplyDelete
  29. i think i had that same wnw blue as well. but dang, i'm so out of date, that bottle design is what i think of when i think wnw polish. 'vintage' to me are the 1980s ones, which had a very different, very 80s graphic (and the black polish was thin and watery and needed like five coats to get opaque). unfortunately i couldn't find any photos online. that miss marion line looks cool. cheap and classic colors. and the bottle reminds me of a bright pink "Tinkerbell" polish I had when I was around 6. It was "removable" in that it could be peeled off once it was dry.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think I had a bottle of those old school wet n wild polishes too... but I have no idea what the heck happened to it!

    productrater.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh man that WnW brings back memories!! I remember buying my 1st black color from them in the 80's! Do you remember Cutex nailpolosh?? They had some great colors too and I believe they were the first ones to come out with nailpolish pens back on the day. Application was horrible back then on the pens. So much so, I hesitant to try Nic Sticks or Sally Hansen's pens now.

    ReplyDelete
  32. haha, i totally have that blue wet n wild back at home somewhere. unless my mom found it and threw it out

    ReplyDelete
  33. I swear I had that WnW blue color in that old bottle, loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow, that WnW bottle brings me back. I had a shade in the mid 80's that was a metallic royal blue color from WnW that we used to paint on each other at slumber parties. Bottle was very similar. That was their truly edgy color, though I think they also had black, white and neons back then too.

    ReplyDelete
  35. WOW! You guys, I cannot express to you how excited I am that you all seemed to love this post. And I was blown away by how many of you actually owned this exact WnW blue polish!!! Thank you for all your great comments, because it made me remember that a LOT of people in my life used to freak out about me wearing blue polish in the early '90s. I'd always get, "You look like you have frostbite or something" comments. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  36. really great post and i like the look of the old sinful colors too.

    ReplyDelete
  37. OMG G (so weird saying that instead of R), did you go to Cal?? I kind of came to this conclusion since you said that you went to school in Northern CA and once you mentioned that you lived in Berkeley for a few years. But you don't have to say anything if you don't want to though. =)

    ReplyDelete
  38. I have that WnW polish sitting in my closet right at this very moment. I think my bottle may have been a bad bottle, though (yes, it was purchased in 1994!), I remember it being a pain to apply without streaking, so much so that I've not used it except a few times after the initial purchase. Ah, memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. I have that exact same old Wet N Wild from the late '90s likely, and it is indeed still usable.

    ReplyDelete
  40. That Miss Marion nail polish looks like a trip. I love the super retro shape of the bottle, the font on the label, and the color is gorgeous! I think I'm going to have to order a modern bottle of it, and maybe a few other colors. I'm a sucker for awesome, vintage-y packaging when it comes to makeup.

    Also, love the old Sinful Colors bottles. So 90's.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow I had no idea Sinful Colors and Zoya were that old! I'm wearing 415A at this very moment! I have 1 more from that same time period, but it's purple. I loved Wet n Wild polishes, they were the best. I had one of their topcoats, it was like a black base with multiglitters. I'm so mad I don't have it anymore because it was a favorite and I haven't been able to find anything even remotely similar

    ReplyDelete
  42. I'm SO glad you posted about 415A. I just rediscovered my bottle of that same nail polish last night, a bottle I've had since at least 1996. Still usable too. So glad that WNW still makes that color, even if it has a different name now.

    ReplyDelete
  43. This post made me dig in the vault and Bloop! I found it! I'm still holding to my prize possession -Wet n Wild #415A LOL! Isn't that just amazing, nail polish can last a life time. I also still have the Frosted Dark Green one as well. I thought I had the purple one, I must of given that one to my niece. ♥BnB♥

    ReplyDelete
  44. Wow! I waaaayyy prefer the older SC bottles to the newer ones! Where was I when those happened and why did they change??!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Oh my goodness!!!! I had the blue wet n wild polish and it was THE polish that made me love polish! Because like you said, it was the only crazy colored polish in the store. I used the whole bottle back in 1995 (I think). I've always thought about it and wished I still had it, but thanks to your post I found a bottle on eBay! It is a little bit of a newer version of the bottle but still I'm so happy. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. I still own my first nail polish (a pale pearly salmon) from like 1996 when I was 4 lol. It didn't dry up until about 2006. Now it's in my memory box. It has a special place in my heart because my mom would apply it for me and she bought it for me herself without me even expressing a desire for nail polish, which is a big deal because my mom hates beauty products, but she knew I would like it :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig