Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Swatchfest! Pure Ice Once Again

A couple days ago I showed you the bottle of Pure Ice polish I purchased from the new collection (at Walmart) and I've been drooling over it ever since. Holographic microglitter floating in a swimming pool-blue base...aaaaah, perfection! And what a fun shade to wear on toes in the summertime, right?

Pure Ice Once Again (retail: $2)



Well in that original post, I asked you not to spoil it for me if you had already tried this polish. I really wanted to hold on to the hope that this wouldn't be super sheer, and that I would get that true swimming pool-blue shade that's in the bottle, when applied on my nails. Sadly, this turned out to be more of a layering polish. To me, it doesn't quite stand on its own, but the good news is that it's gorgeous on top of other blue polishes.


This swatch was taken after three coats of Once Again, and as you can see, it's very sheer, and nowhere close to the color in the bottle. Waaah!

But never to let a sheer color stop me, I decided to layer this on top of a few other blues in my nail polish stash. Here are the shades I selected for this experiment:


(L to R) Milani Cloud 9, Sally Hansen Blew Me Away!, Wet n Wild Blue Moon and Sally Hansen Gray by Gray

Would you like to see the results? OK, here we go:





Layering is such a fun and inexpensive way to jazz up your current nail color stash, and I love how you can create one-of-a-kind unique colors or dupes of popular shades, just by using your imagination.

Believe it or not, I think my favorite is Once Again layered over Sally Hansen Gray by Gray. It really seems to bring out the different colors in the glitter. What's your favorite combo?
SHARE:

16 comments

  1. i love the combos-

    my favourite layerings are black/almost black with either glitters of any kind or almost black red/blue polishes with either pink or blue sheer polishes.. the result of it is a gorgeous purple and it makes my inner purple-addict loving it and buying more sheer colours of these kind ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are really pretty! I have to run to my local walmart :)

    nailsbeautiqued.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty! I like it over gray by gray as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love layering ;)
    Nfu.Ohs and Nyx and Sally etc, all have some great polishes for layering. Sinful, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh so pretty! Thank you for the swatches :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heart it over the Sally Hansen Hard as Nails, I'm such a sucker for turquoise shades right now!

    xo
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love layering polishes! I have well..too many. Pure Ice makes some of the best. I need to find Once Again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love it over the bright Sally Hansen too. it's so tropical looking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love them all! Then again, I've never seen a shade of blue I didn't love! These almost look sugar-coated. So cute. :)
    The swatch with Blue Me Away kind of reminds of the the shade Pool Party from Essence. I just got it recently ($1 at Ulta!) and can't wait to try it. ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE layering NYC black and midnight blue. Always black for the undercoat. It ends up being the perfect shade of shimmer-navy, and on the cheap too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh, I'd like to try that one over Sinful's Gorgeous. It's a really pretty turquoise/teal that always reminds me of a pool or tropical ocean or something. Though it does take three or four coats to become completely opaque. -_-

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am not a big fan of blues but wow they do look nice with shimmer on top!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Funny I have been doing this since the 1980's!
    For the past 12 years I have kept a bottle of Love my nails( Crystal )clear with silve glitter to layer over my color of the week.
    This has always been great for my toes becuase the glitter polish makes the color stay on much much longer!
    For that Ruby Red slipper look like Dorthy's shoes in the wizzard of OZ try:
    Love My Nails Nail Polish Trio Set in Raspberry, Crystal and Nail Strengthener

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it over the Wet n Wild polish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks gritty -- is it? Nothing I hate more than sandpaper nails.

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW! Thank you all so much for your feedback! I loved reading what your favorite combo was, and I also thank you for all the great layering tips about other brands. :)

    And PB: It was gritty before the top coat, but after that, not so much. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig