Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, April 2, 2010

Review: newly reformulated Sunsilk Hydra TLC and Captivating Curls products

(I got this image from the Sunsilk website, which is currently being updated)

Back in February I gave you a sneak-peek at the newly repackaged and reformulated Sunsilk line (in case you missed it, click here for all the details) and today I'd like to give you my thoughts on the actual products that I received for review.

Let's start with new Hydra TLC collection:

From left to right: Sunsilk Hydra TLC Shampoo, Hydra TLC Conditioner and Hydra TLC Styling Creme


As you can see, the bottles are a real departure from the old look, and I really like them not only in terms of aesthetics, but also in terms of functionality (I especially like the nice, big flip-top lid on the shampoo). Also, Sunsilk has enlisted celebrity stylist Teddy Charles to co-create the newly reformulated products:

I have to admit, Mr. Charles is pretty easy on the eyes!

So along with the help of Teddy Charles, Sunsilk has added ingredients such as milk protein into their new Hydra TLC line. How does it compare to the old Hydra TLC line? Unfortunately I can't answer that, since I have always used Captivating Curls due to the texture of my hair.

But what I can tell you is that the fragrance of the shampoo, conditioner and styling creme reminds me of coconut candy! It's a sweet, yummy coconut fragrance, and I actually sniffed a bottle of the old formula that I found at Rite Aid a while back and it smelled nothing like coconuts, so I'm fairly certain this is a change for the line.

Also, I can tell you that, for my hair, Hydra TLC made it a lot softer than usual, and I found that it didn't weight my hair down at all. I am really liking the Styling Creme because it acts very much like a leave-in conditioner on my hair. It helps with detangling and just generally makes my hair feel a lot softer and more sleek on the days when I choose to straighten it. (In case you're not a longtime reader of my blog, my hair is long and thin in texture, but I've got lots of it. It's naturally wavy and also color-treated. I have oily roots and dry ends.)

Next up, the new Sunsilk Captivating Curls Collection:

From left to right: Sunsilk Captivating Curls Shampoo, Captivating Curls Conditioner and Captivating Curls Styling Creme


(sorry this one's so blurry but my camera's acting up)

Now as you can see, Sunsilk has added chamomile to this formula, which apparently helps with curl and wave definition. I had never heard that before, so I was very anxious to see how this formula compared with my old, beloved Captivating Curls formula.

Right off the bat I noticed that the shampoo and conditioner themselves are no longer that lovely shade of pastel lime green. Of course the green-colored formula would no longer work with the look of the new bottles, so I understand the change (btw, all of the formulas I'm reviewing are white in color now). But the fragrance of the new Captivating Curls is still quite similar to the old formula (at least to my nose). I'm glad they didn't change it because it's a very clean, fresh, and slightly sweet fragrance, which I love. If anything, I might even say that this fragrance is more intense, which is fine by me!

So how did the shampoo, conditioner and styling creme stack up to the old formulas for me? Quite well! In fact, in all honesty, I don't detect much difference at all. And this is not a bad thing, because I love how the old formulas performed for my particular hair type. The new formulas are nearly identical in terms of the way they make my hair behave. My curls are more defined, my hair is softer and more springy, and everything just feels nice and soft and under control. Yay! Crisis averted!

So there you have it. My take on some of the newly-reformulated Sunsilk products. Do you have any favorites from Sunsilk? Are you excited to try the new formulations?

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. i have the same hair type!
    what is your all time favorite shampoo/conditioner? thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the old Hydra TLC creme so I am looking forward to trying the new and improved one. I also used to love the hot pink bottles but I like this design as well. That Teddy is a cutie! The shampoo and conditioner did weigh my hair down, but I'll give it another try this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If anyone wants $1 off there's a coupon!!!

    http://see.walmart.com/sunsilk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the info on this! I've been wondering if they reformulated or just repackaged. I'll be waiting for this to show up in stores near me; so far I've only saw it in magazines and online. Which will give me time to work on some of the other countless bottles of S&C that I have, including the Bumble & Bumble Creme de Coco I got in a BOGO today! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to try captivating curls since I missed out on the old version! I see we have similar hair types!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anna: I wish I could say that I have an "all-time favorite" but honestly, I switch pretty regularly between certain shampoos and conditioners. I find that if I use one and only one brand of shampoo and conditioner for a long period of time, my hair becomes immune to its effects, so I try to switch it up pretty regularly. Right now I am really loving this Sunsilk Captivating Curls shampoo and conditioner, but I also love the new Suave Rosemary Mint shampoo and conditioner, as well as the new CVS house brand Bioluxe Polishing Shampoo and Conditioner. Oh, and how could I forgot one of my favorite conditioners of all time! Pantene Restoratives Anti-Breakage Conditioner! This stuff rocks and works well for me no matter what shampoo I use beforehand. Hope that helps! :)

    Tiff: As a regular user of the old formula, I would LOVE to know what you think of the new formula! Please please keep me posted when you try it? Thanks honey! :D

    prncssmicca: Thanks for the great tip! :D

    JenJen: Oh, congrats on snagging a B&B product on BOGO! And of course I would love to know what you think of these new products when you try 'em! :)

    PCS: Hair twinsies! :D Please let me know what you think if try these, ok? I look forward to seeing your review! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have used Hydra TLC in the pink bottle for awhile now. Loved it because it gave my fine limp hair new life and body. I loved the fresh clean scent. I have tried the new co-created Gray bottle. Hate it! It weighs my hair down and the coconut smell that it has smells like you poured suntan lotion all over your hair. No more clean fresh scent! I will not be buying anymore of the newly created Hydra TLC. I will try to find as much of the pink bottle that I can buy on the internet. Lost customer

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am soooooooooo upset that I can no longer buy the original!!! The new one SUCKS and my hair will never be the same!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig