Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, March 29, 2010

Review: Sally Hansen Limited Edition Insta-Dri Nail Color in Spring Green

Alright, alright. I know I just posted pics of the new Sally Hansen Limited Edition Insta-Dri polishes the other day, and I really didn't think I was going to buy one (I'm tying to be soooo good and not make any new purchases for a while) but when I saw that Rite Aid is having a BOGO1/2OFF sale on all Sally Hansen nail products this week, I couldn't resist. I recently ran out of my favorite top coat of all time, Sally Hansen MegaShine, so naturally I had to take full advantage of the sale and pick up one of these new polishes as well. Wouldn't you? :)



I think I mentioned in my original Drugstore Sightings post that this new collection is like "muted neons" to me. That's truly the best way I can describe Spring Green. It's a vibrant pastel, which I know is an oxymoron, but really, it is!

Can we talk about this shade of green for a minute? At first you might think, "Oh yes...just what the world needs more of right now...another mint green." But actually, this green is anything but mint. It's got so much yellow in it that it clearly can be considered a lime green in the truest sense of the word. On my nails, it really reminds of the avocado-green of the 1970s, which I kind of love. (Note: I adjusted the tint and hue of the above pic to more accurately represent the true-to-life color that's on my nails. So that's why my skin looks a little too yellow.)

I still have not mastered the application technique required for both the Insta-Dri brush and formula. It turned a bit gloppy and hard to work with for me, but that's how this formula always ends up on my nails. Someone help me master this brush, PLEASE!

But as for the staying power, I'm going on two days now and no chips and no peeling! These polishes usually peel like crazy on my nails, so this is a fantastic surprise. Also, I should add that I am wearing Orly Bonder base coat, two coats of Spring Green, and one coat of Sally Hansen MegaShine top coat in this picture.

Let me conclude this review by showing you how Spring Green compares to some other greens in my collection. As you're about to see, when shown side-by-side with other true mint greens, you can really see that this is a lime green and looks nothing like the others.



So...do you think Sally Hansen Spring Green deserves a place in your spring nail color collection?
SHARE:

11 comments

  1. Actually, it looks like a really cute color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mega Shine is my fave top coat too. It dries so fast and it's soooo shiny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope this green looks good on my skin; I really like it. I am wearing Maybelline Minty now. Thanks for the tip on the top coat b/c Sally Hansen is BOGO 50% at CVS this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Random, but I wish they would stop playing around and give us a BOGO free sale at the drugstores on SH! Now that I've said that, *ahem* I love this color! Nice green. Loving that green is big this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes!!!
    Someone else shares my love of Sally Hansen Mega Shine. This is the first time that I have seen this mentioned on the blogs that I subscribe to.
    This is the only nail product that I have no qualms about paying the $14AU that it is here.
    I love your blog, and the focus on the more affordable brands.
    Regards, Tameriska

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww I can't wait to see swatches of Maybelline Minty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phyrra: It's even prettier in person. Promise. :)

    Alisa: Yay!! A fellow Mega Shine lover! It's fab, isn't it?

    PCS: I hope it works for you too! I think it actually looks better on my skin than the mints because because of my yellow undertones. Hey, it's weird how CVS and Rite Aid are featuring a lot of the same sales each week lately!

    adorepink: I am RIGHT there with you! I just could not wait any longer for a true BOGO because I really needed that top coat. I wonder why they haven't given us a BOGOFREE in so long? :(

    Tameriska: WOW, I had no idea Mega Shine was so expensive in Australia. I'm so sorry to hear that. But I'm thrilled that you love this top coat too! Yay for us! :D And thanks so much for the kind words about my blog, honey!

    Gaby: I swatched "Minty" a few weeks ago! It's in this post if you want to see. :)

    http://nouveaucheap.blogspot.com/2010/03/complete-maybelline-le-sweet-thing.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, it may be a browser issue, but in Opera 10 the thumbnail of the last picture that compares Spring Green to other polishes is replaced with a squished picture of the Milani Perfect Red tube. If I click on the image it takes me to the correct image, it's just not displaying the proper thumbnail. But your swatching settles it for me, I am buying Spring Green if I can find it :) I still need Lickity-Split Lime also...
    Yesterday I made it to the Walgreens that has the SH Classics display, and I can now tell you which colors are in the display (no L/Es, fortunately):
    160 Shell We Dance?
    170 Pink Slip
    520 Shrimply Divine
    540 Frutti Petutie
    570 Right Said Red
    610 Red Zin
    620 Wine Not
    And remember how I told you one Walgreens in my area mixed last year's and this year's Revlon scented nail polishes? I visited another Walgreens yesterday and saw the entire display from last year... brand new... at full price.. that they're promoting as the collection for this summer. I actually find it funny how product gets distributed... it dies make me wonder sometimes, though.

    ninarapoll@gmail.com
    Hope that info is useful!

    ninarapoll@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhh yeah I totally saw this shade and it's been on my mind since the other day...glad you reviewed it and I'm thought the EXACT same thing! I'm currently obsessed with pale greens and I need to add this. Just waiting for a bogo near me (we don't have a rite aid) or for actual store to start carrying it! Thanks for your pic/review :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alexandra: WOW!! Thank you SO much for taking the time to list all of those HS Classics! That is SO helpful, and it's good to know there are not LEs lurking in that display! So weird about that picture on this post...I tried viewing my blog in IE (I normally use Firefox) and I didn't see the problem, so maybe it's just an Opera thing? Anyway, thanks for pointing that out--I would have never known otherwise! Oh, and that is SO bizarre about the Revlons. My goodness, how can they do that and NOT know the product is a year old?? Crazy...

    Jennifer: I'm so glad you share my opinion of this shade!! Yay! I heard that CVS is also doing a BOGO1/2OFF on SH polishes this week, in case you have a CVS in your area. And you are so welcome--I'm thrilled you enjoyed this review. :) Oh, and btw, I'm going on day day four and STILL no chips! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that color! I just had a conversation with a friend over the brush. I don't mind it at all. She hated it so much she gave me the polish.

    Sally is my absolute fave and the insta-dry is so great

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig