Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Compare & contrast: UD 24/7, Milani Liquif'eye and Prestige Total Intensity liners

When Urban Decay 27/4 Glide-on Eye Pencils first came on the scene, everyone thought they were the greatest product invention to hit the eyeliner world in years. I can't deny that I still LOVE and covet my UD liners (no one, and I mean no one, can rival UD's color selection) but I want to make sure that you all are aware that there are several drugstore brands that offer eyeliners with VERY similar formulas and for less than half the price.

Two pencils that immediately come to mind are Milani's new Liquif'eye Metallic Eye Liner Pencil, and Prestige Total Intensity Eyeliner. There is a third drugstore liner that also resembles UD 24/7, which is L'Oreal HiP Chrome Eyeliner, but I won't be talking about that today because I actually returned it shortly after I reviewed it back in July of last year (click here for that review). It smudged and ran like crazy on me, so that's why I returned it.

So here's UD 24/7 in Mildew, Milani Liquif'eye in Black and Prestige Total Intensity in Intense Olive:

(sorry the Prestige is upside-down but they printed the text in the opposite direction of the other two pencils and I wanted to show you all of the tips in a row)


As you can see, the pencil that houses each of these liners is black in color and made of essentially the same substance (I think this substance is a hybrid of wood and plastic but I'm not 100% sure. Does anyone know?). Anyway, the black "substance" that houses the "lead" in these pencils is super easy to sharpen and I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that it's actually more fun to sharpen these than it is to sharpen a traditional wooden pencil. It's just a very smooth process and it sharpens in one continuous motion. But my point is, the black casing is the same for all three pencils.

Let's talk about texture. In my humble opinion, the texture of all three pencils is virtually identical. They all three glide on the skin effortlessly. They're smooth as butter, there's no tugging, and they deposit rich pigment every single time.


In person, UD Mildew is more of a chrome, while Prestige Intense Olive is an olive green base with gold shimmer. But other than the obvious color differences, these three liners feel the same when applying them to the skin.

Let's do the smudge test! Here's a pic of the same three lines, after I took my index finger and rubbed back and forth over the lines for about 10 seconds straight:


I'd say they all three held up pretty darn well! Surprisingly though (or maybe not if you're already a fan of Prestige), the Total Intensity liner seems to have held up the best to the smudge test. The UD and Milani lines look to have faded a tiny a bit, while the Prestige line is still standing pretty strong. But regardless, I think it's easy to say that, on dry skin, none of these liners is going to budge much at all.

Notice how I said DRY skin? That's because, on super oily skin like mine, I'm afraid to tell you that none of these liners is bullet-proof. I know that, for a lot of you, these types of liners wear like iron. But for women who have a more oily eye region, this might not be the case. For all three liners, I can get a full day of wear when applied to my upper lid only. The upper lid is NO problem at all. But when applied to my lower lid, that's where the running and smudging starts. I have found that, for all three of these pencils, I must apply the liner VERY sparingly and blend it out. If I do this, then I'll have no problems. But the more liner I apply to my lower lid, the bigger the risk of smudging and running.

When all is said and done, I find little to no difference in the formula of these three eyeliners. If one of them works well for you, I'll go out on a limb and say that the other two will probably work just as well! So if you're a loyal UD user, you might want to give one of these drugstore alternatives a shot. The only real difference is the shade selection and price, of course. Prestige offers some very nice shades (click here for a list). Milani's shade selection is pretty standard although they do have a vivid aqua that I have yet to see in person (click here for the shade selection). But of course, nothing can compare to the shade selection of UD, so if you are a color fiend who craves unique eyeliner shades, well I would never even try to talk you out of using UD!

UD 24/7 liners retail for $17. Milani Liquif'eye liners retail for $5.50. Prestige Total Intensity liners retail for $5.50.

Oh, I almost forgot! The lovely Cutiegingerbread told me that Milani Liquif'eye worked better on her waterline than any other liner she has ever used. Of course, I needed to try it after that glowing review, and I'm happy to say that while it didn't last all day for me (NO liner lasts all day for me on my waterline) it lasted a lot longer than the traditional liners I normally use on my waterline. I think I got a full four hours out of Milani on my waterline before I started to see fading on the outer corners, which is a miracle for me. So if you're looking for a good waterline liner, you might want to pick up the Milani and see how it works for you!

I hope this comparison helped some of you who may be looking for a more affordable alternative to your beloved UD 24/7 liners. Do you already own any of these pencils? How do you think they compare? Do you have a favorite of the three? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Disclaimer: I purchased both the Milani and Prestige pencils with my own funds at my local drugstore. I was given the UD liner by WeHeartThis.com for a previous review on their website.
SHARE:

16 comments

  1. If you're looking for a color selection that does in fact rival UD -- Make Up For Ever has a huge selection of liners in their Aqua Eyes collection :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. joybeatsworld: I agree, MUFE does have awesome colors, but the price is what I'm most interested in right now (given the theme of this blog! lol!) and MUFE's prices are the same as UD. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've been intrigued by UD for a while, but haven't taken the plunge financially. being an eyeliner FREAK, i can't thank you enough for this thorough and informative review. i love it when a DS line makes a comparable product to a much more expensive one! (which happens a lot, because hey, i never buy the $$$ stuff. lol)

    you are the best beauty blogger!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had the same luck with urban decay liners! I have Zero and Honey and neither of them last long on me. I find prestige and milani to be far more durable. It's a shame because of the vast array of colors UD has to offer! I love their heavy metal glitter eyeliners; I've never found a replacement. I have the same problem with my waterline! Worse, the eyeliner usually gets stuck to my contacts and is hard to rub off; I'm always scared I'm going to rip them! Therefore, hardly ever line my waterline.

    ReplyDelete
  5. have you tried the wet n wild cream eyeliner (can't remember the name, but the one that comes in the little UFO-shaped pot for like $4 that everybody's calling the bargain fluidline)? that stuff will not budge ... eyelid, under the eye, waterline. in fact i can barely even get it off with baby oil! if i don't specifically remove it, it'll just stay on for like five days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've tried UD 24/7 and MUFE aqua eyes, love the color selection. I'd also say there's no liners last all day for me except MAC liquid eyeliner...but not too long ago my sister has found me the HG pencil liner for my waterline - L'oreal Extra-Intense eyeliner! it only comes in three colors and I've tried all of them. Love the grey one! Plus it's currently on sale at my local Walgreens for $5 each (regular price $8.99). I always wore it to work and gym afterwards, didn't smudge at all. Give it a try if you can't find a good liner for your waterlines.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The other 2 liners I have had good luck with are NYC Waterproof & Prestige Waterproof-not large color selection but great for the $!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for that review! I recently swapped for one of the Prestige liners, but have yet to try it out. My only complaint with the Milani one you tested, is that it is no where near as black as UD's 24/7 in Zero. And I like me some blackety black liner. But in the event that I should run out one day, I would consider the Milani in a pinch. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautifulmonday: You are SO sweet! Thank you SOOO much for that. :) I definitely think you should try either the Milani or Prestige...and of course you must let me know what you think after you get them! :D xo

    PCS: Yikes! I am so sorry to hear about your waterline issue. That's a bummer. :( And I'm also sorry to hear that UD doesn't last for you, but at least you have some more affordable options that do the trick. Yay! :)

    jane: Yep, I actually reviewed that exact WnW liner here on this blog! Love it! :D

    gamij: Thanks so much for the rec! I haven't used L'Oreal liners in a loooong time (they just have never seemed to work for my oily skin) but I just might give this one a whirl based on your glowing rec! :D

    Michelle: I actually really like both of those liners that you mentioned! Great minds think alike! :D

    chickadee1066: You are so welcome! Thanks for the info about how the Milani isn't as black as the UD. I don't wear a lot of black liners, so, to me, the Milani seemed *super* black. But I guess there's one that's even blacker out there! lol. And I would LOVE to know what you think of the Prestige when you get around to trying it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH, my bad... I meant to say CVS instead of Walgreens for the $5 L'oreal liner... hope that works for you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for doing this review. I have a hard time paying UD's price but I love the product. I don't have many stores here that carry Milani and I've never seen Prestige, but I'm going on the hunt tomorrow!
    As for the smudge problem you have on your lower lash line, I would suggest using a soft sponge applicator to dab a little bit of your face primer under your eye, line with a long lasting liner, and then dust a heavy layer of matte finishing powder (I use MAC, but Rimmel works just as good) under and on top of the liner. I do this every day and I can go from an 8 hour work day to the bar and never have a smudge. Just a suggesting, thanks again for having an awesome blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're so awesome for reviewing this! Loreal's smears on my like no otha (so does UD...insert sad face here).

    I will go to CVS and get Milani's & Prestige!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nothing last all day on my waterline either. I wish I were one of those people. I almost bought some UD liners today but passed because of the price tag. I have the Milani and I'm going to try the Prestige next! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have the Milani- vivid Aqua liner and it is gorgeous and a beautiful metallic aqua! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know this is an old post but have you tried the new NYX Slide-On liners yet? They're supposed to be another UD 24/7 dupe and they come in lots of colors! I'd be interested in seeing how they compare to these.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have tried Milani's liquifeye and it smudged on me. I do have oily eyes so it is quite difficult to find an eyeliner that won't budge. I have tried Maybelline's master drama eyeliner and I saw better results. It stayed on my upper lash line till the end of my 8 hour day! It is creamy and pigmented too.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig