Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Review: Milani HD Advanced Concealer

I know it seems to be Milani-mania here on Nouveau Cheap this week, but I can't help the fact that Milani has released so many new and interesting products lately that I'm drawn to them like a moth to a flame!

Today I'd like to share my thoughts about the new HD Advanced Concealer, which I purchased at my local CVS a while back for $7. I've been using it every day for a few weeks because I really wanted to give it a proper test-drive before I shared my thoughts.



The obvious comparisons to YSL Touche Eclat aside (the packaging is so similar!), I'm not going to try and review this by comparing it to Touche Eclat, because it's been a while since I have used the YSL product and my memory of it is foggy. I do remember that Touche Eclat is really more of a highlighter that brings light to darkness as opposed to concealing darkness, and in that respect, I think Milani HD Advance Concealer works in a very similar way (and btw, Touche Eclat retails for a whopping $40 so if you love T.E. I would say you owe it to yourself to at least try the Milani version).


Milani HD Advanced Concealer comes in standard click-pen delivery system, and the shade I purchased above is Medium.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, let's get right to some before-and-afters:


Here's my sleepy-morning-eye, complete with puffiness and bags. This is my freshly-cleansed face with nothing more than moisturizer and eye cream. As you can see, I have darkness under my eyes that really needs concealing. Gah! I hate this picture! But I love you guys, so I'm posting it anyway. Please don't judge. :)


Here I am, applying Milani HD Advance Concealer...


And here I am, just seconds after having blended this concealer into my eye area.

As you can see in this "after" pic, the light from my camera's flash really picks up on the tiny light-refracting particles that are in this concealer. While I can still see my dark circles (especially near the inside corner of my eye), I do like how this product generally makes my entire under-eye area seem a bit more bright. In fact, I think that Milani should have called this something like a "luminous highlighter" (which is how YSL describes its product) as opposed to a "concealer" because I don't find that it conceals at all, per say.

And why does it not conceal? Well, for me, the formula is just too thin to do any true concealing. Also, it's not a very pigmented product, so it really can't conceal in the way that my beloved Maybelline SuperStay Concealer does. I tried using this product on problematic areas on other parts of my face (old acne scars, new blemishes, etc.) and the results were less than stellar.

I also want to mention that this product settled into my fine lines within just an hour or two of application. I did find a way to remedy this: foundation primer. On the days that I used my Black Radiance Complexion Perfection primer, this concealer did not settle into my fine lines one bit. But without primer? It was kind of a mess.

So to whom would I recommend this product? Well I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone who has my caliber of under-eye darkness or worse. If you're looking for something that is truly going to conceal your darkness, this might not be your product. BUT, if you're looking for something that's going to bring general lightness and luminosity to your skin (perhaps even on top of your usual concealer) then this might be a great fit for you. For me, it truly is a highlighter and not a concealer. In fact, I think it would be a good product to use if you're a person who likes to contour your face. For that, it just might work. But again, I do want to warn those of you who have fine lines that this product, at least for me, required a good primer beforehand.

Have you tried Milani HD Advanced Concealer? Did it work for you? I'd love to hear your thoughts!
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. Great review as usual, my dear!

    I was hoping for good news regarding this concealer, seeing as how I'm always on the lookout for a good one. Sadly, it seems as though this would be no match for Rings of Darkness around my peepers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see we had similar problems, only for me not even a primer helped! I ended up trying the YSL version and I wasn't impressed with that either. I think I'll stick to my super stay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dangerkitty: Thank you so much for that! :D And yup. From one possessor of Rings of Darkness to another...this ain't the thing for us. :(

    PCS: Yes! It think our experiences were quite similar! I guess we'll continue to be Super Stay twins. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually really liked it. :o I thought it gave a nice no-makeup look, and yet really did brighten up my dark circles nicely. I don't usually wear concealer under my eyes because it ends up looking cakey and fake (I think I need a different eye cream for daytime) and sinks into the creases I've had under my eyes ever since I was a little kid. I don't have to worry about fine lines much yet, but those creases are sure annoying.

    Anyway, I think some people might still like it. :D Maybe it's better for people like me who don't usually like wearing concealer under their eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the review. I guess I'll keep looking. My dark circles are so bad that kids used to tease me about having black eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad I read this review. I've been thinking about getting this, but there is no way it is going to work for me. My dark circles are horrbile. I need full coverage, not brightening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hana: I'm SO glad this works for you! That's fantastic! And I think you might be right--I can see this working great for women who don't usually wear concealer, because it's got a real natural feel to it. :)

    Miss Molly: You are so welcome! I feel your pain about the dark circles, and I really don't think this is the product for us gals. :( Have you tried Maybelline Super Stay?

    Annette: I am right there with you, honey. The brightening might be nice on top of a concealer that actually conceals, but by itself? It just didn't cut it for me. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. You keep talkin about SuperStay, I so need to try it!! My creases however are pretty deep and it's so hard, actually, practically impossible to keep concealer from settling in.

    I still want to try this bad boy, I still need a highlighter and I'm NOT willing to get the YSL T.E.

    Great review, as always!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig