Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, March 14, 2010

Drugstore Hidden Gem: Walgreens Organic Lip Balm

I love perusing the lip balm aisle at my local drugstores, and that's what I was doing the other day when I stumbled across this lovely little product:


Did you know that Walgreens now makes two "98% certified organic" lip balms? The other one is a "medicated" formula but I had to buy the "Vitamin C" formula for myself because I'm a sucker for anything orange-flavored (and besides, even though the Vitamin C content is marginal, I can always use an extra bit of Vitamin C wherever I can find it).

The retail price on these organic lip balms is $2.99, but now through March 27th, they are on sale for 2/$5, which is pretty good considering the ingredients:



As you can see, this balm is totally natural and contains no petroleum-based ingredients, parabens, etc. It's also cruelty-free and safe for vegetarians (sorry, vegans, there's beeswax in these).


I don't know why, exactly, but I love the packaging on this balm. The colors and design remind me of someone's kitchen in 1986. Ha! For me, it's comforting in a nostalgic way. And I like the little flowers at the top of the label:




As you can see, it's got a natural color to it, and the BEST part is the texture. OMG, it is so creamy and just glides onto your lips like butta. Plus, on my lips, it's got fantastic staying power (it's definitely not one of those balms that you need to reapply every 15 minutes) and the fragrance and flavor are natural orange with just a tiny hint of natural vanilla. I'm telling you, I LOVE this balm!

Do you own any Walgreens Organic Lip Balms? I'd love to hear your thoughts!
SHARE:

13 comments

  1. SO going to get one of these! I guess I'm going to Wags tonight! I love that there is no petrolatum because apparently petrolatum is usually contaminated with carcinogens such as 1,4 Dioxane. Funny how the use of petrolatum is controlled in food and medicinal products, but not in cosmetic ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo these look nice! A nice alternative to the overly parabened and fragranced lip balms :) How does it compare to Burt's Bees?

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOw you are so lucky! It's inexpensive and it lookes yummy! I love organic lipbalms ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like a store version of Alba lip balm to me, that's the exact same packaging!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, awesome fact! I didnt know that about walgreens :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I second Victoria's question about how it compares with Burt's Bees please? Your review pretty much convinced me so I hope you could also do a comparison? Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. PCS: So did you get one last night? :) And yes, it's great to see petro-free balms popping up in drugstores these days (especially for this price!).

    Victoria: It's been a while since I've used BB's lip balm, but from what I remember, it's a little bit waxy, right? This Walgreens balm goes on soooo smoothly, and I swear to you, you can feel the effects for a very long time afterward. I put this balm on at around 3PM yesterday, and my lips STILL feel so hydrated and smooth right now (it's 11AM the next day). For me, this balm is worth triple the price. I am in LOVE! :)

    Gaby: Awww, I'm sorry you don't have Walgreens in Canada. :(

    PS: Wow, you're right! I wonder if it's made in the same facility! Good catch. :)

    Becky: Definitely check these out the next time you're there. I think you might really love this one. :)

    jo: Yep, like I mentioned to Victoria, it's been a while since I used the BB, but I do remember that it was kind of waxy and didn't glide on as smoothly as this one. Plus, for me, the moisturizing effects are STILL lingering the next day, which is incredible. I can count on one hand how many lip balms over the years have had such true healing properties on my lips, and this is DEFINITELY one of them. I really can't recommend this one enough! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh yes! My bf took me to wags at like midnight after his band practice. Funny how where I live people are just walking around walgreens at 12:30 am as if it were 3 pm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been wanting to try this for a while. I used to have a coupon for it, but I couldn't find it in the store (fail!). Now I'm gonna have to give finding it another go...

    Also, while I'm commenting, I found the new e.l.f. display at my target! I grabbed a few things too! I'll do a post about it either tonight or tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. PCS: Yay! You gotta let me know what you think of it after you've tried it, ok? I used it again today and I am so incredibly impressed with how it keeps my lips so soft and hydrated ALL day, even hours after I've applied it. I think I'm totally obsessed with this little balm now. lol.

    Aedd: OMG, get it! Get it! You neeeed this little gem! lol. But seriously, it is amazing for me, so I'm hoping you'll love it just as much. :) And YAY for elf at your Target!!! Finally!!! I guess I need to see if my Target has it too, since we're both in SD! Great news. Can't wait for your reviews! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. ohh man. i stood in the lipbalm aisle debating with myself whether i should get these, and i came out emptyhanded cuz i still have this huge tin of Rosebud Salve (I love!!) to finish plus 40 million other balms. But then I came back here, and re-read your blog about these, and now I want the Vit C one, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this lip balm! Normally, I use Blistex because it is smooth and non-waxy, but this is better. I love the orange scent and how it glides on smoothly. I need to go buy more because now I need this in my handbag, next to my bed, in my pocket...mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is 50% off this week. I'm going to get some - but does it contain an SPF?

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig