Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Holy grail products can be found...in the children's aisle?!

I admit I have an addiction to beauty products (and I'm assuming you do too if you're reading this) but regardless of the countless items I purchase (and the products I'm lucky enough to receive for review), I sometimes crave simplicity and a product that just plain works. I don't always need fancy packaging (though it's certainly pretty to look at) but what I do always need is a reliable product that's easily available and doesn't cost a lot of money.

And sometimes, that product can be found in the kid's aisle.

I know a lot of you already use and love products made for children, but for those of you who don't, allow me to introduce you to a few of my favorite children's products, and tell you why I love them.


Johnson's No More Tangles Detangling Spray (retail: around $4, 10 oz)

If you've got long hair that's prone to tangling, meet your new best friend. No matter how many high-end detangling sprays I've used in the past, Johnson's No More Tangles is my absolute favorite because it gets the job done. It's cheap, it doesn't leave my hair greasy or weighed down, it smells clean and it WORKS. Every time. A few spritzes on your tangles and your comb or brush will slide through your locks like butta. In the cold weather we're currently having, my hair is drier and more tangled than ever, so I absolutely depend on this product to avoid breakage. Honestly, I think it's the best out there and it works on both dry and wet hair equally as well.


L'Oreal Extra Gentle 2-in-1 Strawberry Smoothie Shampoo (retail: around $3.50, 9 oz)

I'm generally not a huge fan of 2-in-1 products, but I make exception for this little cutie. L'Oreal really hit it out of the park with this kid's shampoo because it smells amazing (sweeeet strawberries), it's gentle, and it cleanses your hair without making it brittle (like some kid's shampoos tend to do). My hair feels so soft and springy when I use this (but if you've got damaged hair, you'll need to follow with your regular conditioner). Love it when I'm in the mood for a sweet treat.

Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps Unscented Baby-Mild Pure-Castile Soap (retail: around $3, 5 oz)

I keep a bar of this in my bathroom cabinet for whenever my skin is really acting up (the skin on face and/or body). It's got fantastic ingredients (as is the case with all of Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps) and it's one of the few soaps that is not only mild, but actually cleans my oily skin. Don't you hate it when you buy something that says "mild" on the package and then it feels like it didn't actually clean your skin at all? This soap even removes eye-makeup, and I swear it leaves your skin feeling so clean and pampered. If you've got any mild skin irritation that seems to feel worse when you use your usual products, you might want to give this soap a try. It calms my skin whenever I need it. One word of caution: it's not truly unscented. It does have a very mild, clean scent to it, but it never, ever bothers my skin.

Mayron's Good Baby Barrier and Diaper Cream (retail: $9.95, 2 oz)

Back in July of last year, I had the amazing fortune of "meeting" actress and director Melanie Mayron (of 30-something fame) on Twitter. It was then that I discovered that Ms. Mayron is not only is a successful actress and director, but she and her chemist father have also created a line of all-natural baby products (click here for my full review of Mayron's Good Baby Barrier and Diaper Cream). This diaper cream is filled to the brim with vitamins, essential oils and shea butter, and it contains NO synthetic fragrance, parabens, SLS or DEA. Oh, and you may ask yourself why a grown woman like me would need diaper cream? Well, both my boyfriend and I have numerous uses for this, including skin rashes and chaffing (him on his inner thighs, me where my underwire bra rubs against my skin), shoe blisters, razor burn, and the list goes on. I love this stuff, and I've found that one tube lasts a loooong time because you only need a little to sooth your aching skin. Plus, it smells like fresh lavender and it dries sheer so no staining of clothes. The only downside is that it's not widely available, but I make exception for this wonder product and order it online (click here for more info).


Suave for Kids Splashing Apple Toss 3-in-1 Shampoo, Conditioner and Body Wash (retail: around $3, 22.5 oz)

Like I mentioned earlier, I'm not usually big on 2-in-1 or 3-in-1 products, but I loooove to use this Suave product as a body wash. It makes my entire bathroom smell like apples, and for an inexpensive body wash, it packs some serious lather and bubbles. Just a fun, fun product to use when you want a pick-me-up in the shower and the best part? It costs far less than sweet-smelling "adult" body washes!




Band-Aid Spongebob Squarepants Glow-in-the-Dark Bandages (retail: around $3.50, 20 bandages)

And last but certainly not least, I LOVE CHILDREN'S BAND-AIDS! Whew! There. I said it. Now, bear with me here, but Band-Aids are obvious anyway, right? There's really no concealing that you've got a cut on your finger, even if you use the clear Band-Aids. So why not have a little fun with it and rock a Spongebob glow-in-the-dark Band-Aid the next time you have a boo-boo? There are so many cute designs of kid's bandages out there lately that it's a fun little process just deciding which box to buy when I run out. :)

So there you have it--a few of my very favorite children's products. No tell me me about yours! I'd love to hear all about them.

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.

SHARE:

27 comments

  1. I LOVE Loreal Kids Detangling Spray! My FAVORITE is in Sweet Pear and it smells SO good and works AMAZINGLY. The bottle is SO cute, too. It's green and looks like a fish (like many of the other Loreal Kids shampoos!) It's super cheap, too ($2.99 at Ulta) and I used to use it ALL the time. It made my hair smell SO great. Speaking of which, I'm actually planning on going back and getting a few bottles...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baby wipes! I love me some baby wipes. They're super multipurpose, and I use them for everything in our house. I wipe away mascara, wipe off cosmetic bottles/compacts, wipe off cabinets, walls, and sinks after beauty projects... Definitely a household staple.

    Honorable mention goes to baby shampoo for cleaning makeup brushes as well as Suave Kids Swimmer's shampoo. Lovely at clarifying after swimming in the summer months.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I refuse to buy Band-aids unless they are the Hello Kitty kind. I also steal my sister's detangling spray, I think it is Suave (you know, the green bottle with the Octopus on it), because my hair gets really curly after I take a shower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that and baby powder... it saves me when I'm too lazy to shower. One application on my hair and it's like all the oil is gone. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. kids bandaids are awesome! I like mine with little ducks and kitties :p
    It's too bad that we don't have Good Baby diaper cream here. looks like something I need!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been using Johnson & Johnson Head to Toe Baby Wash (the one that comes in the big light yellow bottle) for around 6 months now. I bought it after I used up my bottle of Purpose cleanser, which I loved but discovered that it had basically identical ingredients to the baby wash (both are J & J products). I use it as my morning face wash because it's gentle and doesn't strip my skin, but leaves it soft and clean. I also use it to clean my makeup brushes. In high school I also frequently used those L'Oreal Kids fish-shaped shampoos and now I'm halfway through a huge bottle of the Suave version. I also use the kiddie Suave pear detangler and it works well and smells so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hee!! I have the Suave Kid's apple hair detangler....and I currently have transformers, Disney fairies, and Spider Man BandAids. But its okay, all my friends come to me for bandaids.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love the johnson's & johnson's detangler. I have long hair so I've used it for awhile :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Johnson's Detangling Spray. Smells pleasant but subtle, and gets the job done! I also love all of the L'Oreal Kids No Tears shampoos. They were great when I had 2 a day practices. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aveeno soothing relief baby wash is my HG body wash for my dry skin (body, not face). I am so in love with it I don't buy anything else for shower gel.... And I'm rarely loyal to a product for more than a month! It's been a year now and I am super satisfied with the Aveeno!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent post girl!!!

    Castile soap is amazing! It is so soft, it is what I used to bath my kids when they were babies and my Mom used it on my brother and me too. Totally agree it is great when you need to give your skin a break.

    And hey....SPONGE BOB!!!! Love him to death, LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amy: Ooooh, I'll have to remember that one! I rarely make it into an Ulta (the closest one to me is still far away) but I love anything that's pear-scented so I might have to see how this one works in comparison to my beloved No More Tangles! :) And yes, baby powder is amazing--I totally agree!

    Jessie: Oh don't even get me started on baby wipes! LOVE 'EM!! And yes, they come in handy for SO many things it's ridiculous, right? lol. And I agree that baby shampoo is great for makeup brushes! For the longest time I used J&J Head-to-Toe for my brushes and also has a facial cleanser. Glad I'm not alone in my addiction to baby wipes and shampoo. lol. Hey, do you have a fave brand of baby wipes? Thanks!

    Heather: LOL!! How could I forget the Hello Kitty band-aids?? For some reason they're harder to find in my area. Where do you buy yours? :)

    Connie: OMG, how cute are you! Little ducks and kitties? I neeeed those! :)

    J: Oh yes, I know that Head-to-Toe quite well! I used to use that as a facial cleanser for years! And also for makeup brushes. It's fantastic and I'm so glad it's working for you! Also, you're one of many on this post who seems to love that pear detangler. I think I need to seriously put it to the test and see how it compares to my No More Tangles! xo

    kenzie: OMG, you are too cute with your band-aids! If I was your friend in real life I'd go straight to you for my band-aids too! :)

    Katy: YAY! So glad to hear that someone else uses this!! It is a lifesaver, I tell ya! :)

    Katherine: Awesome!! Another No More Tangles fan!!! And you're right--the smell is subtle, which I love. :)

    Diane: The same body wash for a YEAR? Those words do not compute in my mind. LOL!!!! WOW, I think I need to seriously give this Aveeno product a try after such a glowing rec from you! So glad you found something that works so well for you--don't you love that? :)

    Beda: Thank you so much, honey!! I'm so glad you are a fellow castile soap lover! It's amazing, isn't it? And how beautiful to hear that the tradition of using castile soap has been handed down in your family. I love that.

    And yes, thanks to my 3-year-old niece, I am now officially a Spongebob lover too! lol! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG! I was just thinking about the L'Oreal Kids strawberry shampoo TWO days ago, we really are Siamese wireless twins ;)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I use the liquid Dr. Bronner's Castile soap for cleaning my makeup brushes. I LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My makeup remover is Johnsons Baby Oil, ir removes all my WP mascaras and long lasting lipsticks. And for No Cone regimen, Johnsons Baby Classic shampoo is great!

    And sometimes, a bit of Baby cologne is great for summer, such as the Mustela Musti cologne.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Johnson & Johnson's baby shampoo (the original formula only)--for cleaning my makeup brushes AND for taking off all my makeup! (I had read that eye doctors recommend it for taking off eye makeup.) It takes all the makeup off my oily face--even UDPP, Colorstay foundation AND eyeliner!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's nice to know that I'm not alone in my love of kid's Band-Aids. I have fairies, Transformers, and SpongeBob. If I have to use a Band-Aid it may as well be something I like.

    I really want to try that Suave 3-in-1. I'm a sucker for anything that smells like apples.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am absolutely with you on band-aids. The 'flesh' colour of the regular adult ones looks like noone's skin i've ever met, so why not have some fun?

    ReplyDelete
  19. My favorites would have to be Hello Kitty bandaids & Johnsons baby shampoo...for cleaning my makeup brushes, and on my hair when I get the urge.

    ReplyDelete
  20. spongebob band-aids!!! i'm normally just a "lurker" but your blog is my new favorite thing ever, and seeing spongebob band-aids cements the deal XD

    the kid's body wash idea is clever, too :D i'm about to run out of my touch of happiness body wash and need something fruity and fun to replace it, and now i know where to go looking!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Burt's Bees Diaper Cream smells LUSH but I haven't found a use for it other than spreading on my baby's behind...
    Any suggestions welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ok, I just added "check out the kids aisle" to my ongoing Target list! I can't believe I've never thought of that - duh. I am constantly searching for a good de-tangler (hopefully one that helps with flyaways/static as well)and spend way too much money on name brands that let me down. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the heads up about my comments not working! I would have never known! I'm pretty sure I've got it fixed now. And its good to know about the e.l.f. display at my Target. I'll def be looking forward to March!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amber: Why am I not surprised AT ALL about this?? lol. xo

    Phyrra: Thank you so much for the reminder about using Dr. Bronner's on makeup brushes. I have GOT to try this! :)

    Elena: Baby colognes! So soft and sweet. :) And I think I need to try baby oil as eyemakeup remover! Thanks for the rec! :)

    Anon: Wow, I had no idea that baby shampoo was rec'd by eye doctors! That's very interesting--maybe I need to start using this again! Thanks. :)

    dangerkitty: Why am I no surprised that you already rock the kids band-aids? Great minds...:) xo

    Lillian: YES!! So glad you agree with me on this one (but it totally doesn't surprise me!). xo

    Cupcake: I neeeeed to get some Hello Kitty band-aids! Where do you get yours?

    spacemonkeypunk8: YEAH!!! So glad that I was able to post something to urge you to come out of lurker status!! :D I'm so glad you're with me on the spongebob band-aids! :) Looking forward to seeing your comments in the future--please feel free to comment again soon, ok? xo

    PP: Hello there, honey! If you like the BB diaper cream, I would highly suggest trying it for the uses I listed under the Maryon's Good Baby Diaper Cream (and please report back how it works!). xo

    Tyna: lol! Isn't it funny that sometimes great products are right under our noses but they just never occur to us? I would LOVE to know what you think of the J&J Detangler. It works wonders for me, and it also really helps with flyaways and static! :)

    Aedd: You are so welcome! I was so hoping you'd read that post so that you'd know it was working. Whew! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm a huge fan of the suave 3 in 1. It smells awesome and man does that stuff save time in the AM :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yay! So glad you like these too, sweetie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yes! Yes! I LOVE the L'oréal Kids 2-in-one!!! It's so nice-smelling... and who can resist the cute eyes? =)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig