Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, November 16, 2009

Review: Jesse's Girl Eyeshadow Transformer

A while back I posted a Wednesday Question where I asked you, my wonderful readers, to tell me about your favorite budget-friendly eyeshadow primer. I received a ton of fantastic responses, and I actually took one dear reader's advice, who swears by Jesse's Girl Eyeshadow Transformer. (FYI, the most popular budget-friendly concealer amongst my readers is definitely the e.l.f. Mineral Primer, which I recently received and will review shortly!)

But for now, let's look at the Jesse's Girl Eyeshadow Tranformer, which I purchased at Rite-Aid for $5.99 (you can also purchase it directly from the Jesse's Girl Website for the same price).



Now I don't know about you, but when I see the word "tranformer" I instantly think about a product that takes a powder eyeshadow and turns it into a liquid liner (a mixing medium). You can definitely use this product in that way, and it even comes with a fine point brush on one end (perfect for lining eyes), and a larger brush (about the size of a lipgloss brush) on the other end.




The fine brush


The larger brush

So how does this work as an eyeshadow base? Very well, if you know how to use it. First let me say that this is a clear liquid. So if you accidentally turn the opening upside down, it will spill out. Also, since this is a liquid and not a cream, you need to apply it sparingly, and you need to wait until it is dry before you attempt to apply your eyeshadow.

I tested this with two shades from my Coastal Scents palette. I deliberately chose the least pigmented shadows from this palette so that you could see what the Jesse's Girl Eyeshadow Transformer can really do.

Now be warned: This swatch on the left is what happens if you do not let the Eyeshadow Transformer dry completely before you apply your eyeshadow:


Left: Coastal Scents shadow with Eyeshadow Transformer underneath. Right: Coastal Scents shadow alone.

Gah! It's a mess! I told you, you need to let this product dry completely before you even think about putting on your eyeshadow. But I do want you to notice how much more intense the color is--it's like night and day, right? I picked the least pigmented shadow I could find in my palette, and in the pic without the primer, I used a lot of shadow on my hand yet the pigmentation is still very weak. But when I put it on over the Eyeshadow Transformer, it truly transformed that shadow into an intense and vibrant color.

So now let's take a look at how eyeshadow looks when applied after the Eyeshadow Transformer has fully dried:


Left: Coastal Scents shadow with Eyeshadow Transformer underneath. Right: Coastal Scents shadow alone.

Aaaah, now that's more like it! What a difference some drying time can make! Again, I deliberately chose an eyeshadow that had weak pigmentation so that you could really see how intense and vibrant it can be when you use the Eyeshadow Tranformer underneath.

So what about staying power? Ladies, this stuff isn't going anywhere. My Coastal Scents shadows last a good seven hours on my lids before I even start to see some fading, and even then, the fading is very minimal.

So how would this work on a daily basis? It depends. It takes a while to dry on my lids, and sometimes I've found that even when you think it's dry, it's not. So you're taking a gamble if you start to apply your eyeshadow--if you think it's dry and it isn't, you risk a streaky mess. I had to remove all of my makeup and start again once when I misjudged the dryness.

All in all, for $5.99 at your local Rite-Aid, I think Jesse's Girl Tranformer would make a great addition to your eye primer arsenal, because it's got multiple uses. If you like to use loose pigments as eyeliner, this would be fantastic for that. And if you have the patience to work with this as an eye primer, the results can be fantastic. Just be absolutely certain your lids are completely dry before you apply your shadow.

Do you own Jesse's Girl Eyeshadow Tranformer? I'd love to hear your thoughts.
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. thank you for the review! I may consider getting this to work with my pigments :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this awesome review!
    I'm so getthing this! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this! Eye primer is one of my favorite topics. I have very oily lids and I sweat under my eyes so I think I've got an obsession with this topic. LOL! I have a few questions if you don't mind answering. Approximately how long did it take for the primer to dry? 5 min? 15min? more? When it did dry properly how did it feel? Slightly tacky to the touch? Smooth, without resistance to the touch? etc. Did it crease? When? When you tested the primer was it a warm day? Did you workout while wearing the primer?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I do own this and I love it. It is my go-to item for transforming any color into an eyeliner. I was a little daunted by the larger brush when I first received this, but discovered this is a fantastic way to foil my eyeshadows for that really bold look. I have never tried it first, and then applied my eyeshadows (I've fallen in love with Fyrinnae's Pixie Epoxy for that) but I am going to try it out! Thanks again for the great review - I love learning new things for products I use all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I might purchase this in the near future :D


    By the way - have you seen on e.l.f's website that they now have a eyeshadow primer in their $1 line?! I'm thinking of trying it out... I have their mineral primer and like it but if their $1 one is just as good...that'd be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Connie: You're so welcome! I think this would work great with pigments. :)

    Fifi: You're welcome! I would love to know what you think of this when you get it! Hope you do a review. :)

    Anon: No problem at all! Here you go:

    1) It took about 3-5 minutes for this to dry on my lids. It really depends on how thick of a layer you apply. If the layer is too thin, it won't punch up the color of the eyeshadow as much, so you do want to apply it a bit more liberally than most primers.

    2) When it dries, for me at least, it's a little bit tacky to the touch. I've tried using a thinner layer, which is less tacky, but it didn't provide enough staying power that way for me. I've found that in order to get intense color and great staying power, your shadow has to kind of mix with the primer (as opposed to sitting on top of the primer).

    3) I get very little creasing with this primer, and usually after about 7-6 hours.

    4) Since it's November, I haven't had a chance to try this in very warm weather yet. But I did wear it on an 80 degree day and it was just as good as a 65 degree day. But I can't say how it would perform on a very hot day because I have only owned this for a few weeks now.

    5) I don't exercise with any makeup on, so I can't help you there. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ShakeupYourMakeup: Oooh, I am definitely going to try foiling with this! I bet it is outstanding used that way. I totally agree--it's so great to find multiple uses for a product you already own! Glad I could help! xo

    ndoodles: You know, I saw that e.l.f. primer and I was like, "But I just got the mineral one!" I swear I just cannot keep up with their new products! lol. I would love to know what you think of it if you try it--it would be so awesome to find a $1 primer that actually works. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is definitely my primer of choice. I can't say enough about it. I use it more as a primer than I ever will as a shadow/liner transformer. It's amazing, and for the -$10 price, crazy! Great review. Glad someone agrees! =]

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you loads Recessionista!

    re: hand wash liquid soaps v. using body wash as hand soap (don't worry I don't expect you to remember any of this but thought i'd reply anyway since you asked =) i'm currently using Jergens hand soap by w/ extra moisturizing stuff. my hand lotion is a mix (as in I mixed both in one bottle) of a fragrance lotion from Bath & Body and Lubiderm for extra dry skin. after I'm done with my hand soap I plan to try that peppermint body wash you liked so much (and add olive oil).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Audri! You are the person responsible for me buying Jesse's Girl! It was 100% because of your post to that Wednesday Question that I went out and looked for this! So thank you, thank you!!! xo

    Anon: You're so welcome! And of course I remember! If I had known that you were the same anon poster that had the hand soap problem, I totally would have asked you for a follow-up! :) You should create a google account with a screen name so I'll know who your are! :) So...how do you like the Jergens? And you know, if you like Lubriderm lotion for your hands, have you thought about buying a fragrance oil or perfume oil and just adding a few drops to the lotion? As long as it's skin-safe, it will work (and plus you can also add it to shower gel, body lotion, home fragrance oil burners, etc. so you'll definitely get your money's worth). Valerie's Uncommon Scents on ebay is a good seller and she's got over 400 fragrances to choose from! You can buy a sample dram for $1 and that's MORE than enough to scent a couple bottles of hand lotion. Just a fun idea I wanted to throw out there (and she's got a Candy Cane scent!!):

    http://stores.ebay.com/Valeries-Uncommon-Scents

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig