Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Review: e.l.f. Eye Encyclopedia, Part I

If you saw my previous posts about the new e.l.f. products debuting at Target this month, then you know I have been the most excited about this lovely little book:



Thanks to the folks at e.l.f. I received this eye palette in the mail yesterday and I literally had to tear it open on the spot and take some pics. So this is Part I of a two-part review. Today I'm going to show you swatches and my initial thoughts about the Eye Encyclopedia, and next week I'll follow up with performance, staying power, and give you a few eyes looks. So please check back for the second part of my review coming soon.

If you haven't spotted this palette at your local Target yet, the retail price is $5. And here's what you get:



Twelve powder eyeshadows, two cream shadows, one black eyeliner pencil and a dual-ended applicator (sponge on one end, brush on the other). Can you believe this is only $5?

To give you some perspective, I put a MAC shadow on the palette so that you can see how large these e.l.f. pans are:


See what I mean? That's a lot of product for five bucks!

Also, on the other side of the palette is a little instructional guide:



So let's take a look at some swatches:



My initial reaction to these shadows is that the colors are totally practical and wearable, which, if you're a fan of this blog, you know I love. But I do want to note that the darker, more shimmery shades seem to be more intense with better pigmentation, while the lighter, matte shades have a slightly weaker pigmentation. But as always, a good eyeshadow primer should help the lighter shades along. Also, the darker, shimmery shades seem to be a little smoother to apply, while the lighter, matte shades have a slightly chalky consistency (not the worst I've seen, by any means, but not as good as the shimmery shades).

Let's take a look at the cream shadows:



I love these colors, and I am definitely going to try wearing them as highlighters in addition to using them on my lids. Heck, I'm even going to try using them has an eyeshadow primer and of course I'll report back!

That's it for my initial thoughts on the e.l.f. Eye Encyclopedia. I am so excited to start using these and let you know what I think after I've actually tried a few looks and experimented a bit. So please stay tuned...

In the meantime, are you tempted to pick up one of these the next time you're at Target?

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and gratis samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

15 comments

  1. I might get a lip gloss from elf sometime or a back up eyeshadow brush...These palette look alright to me (I just don't like palette for some reasons, especially the palette houses both cream/powder products.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that cream shadow looks like a dupe of Stila's Kitten smudge pot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colors have good pigmentation for the price. I looked in my Target and didn't find these. hopefully they have them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh honey, "tempted" is such an understatement. I'm practically dripping with shadow-obsession right now. Mut. Stop. Before. Wallet. Falls. Apart!

    Oh, but I did find the BEST mascara ever. NYX's lengthening doll mascara. It's practically an Estee Lauder More than Mascara dupe. No raccoon eyes, no smudging, holds a curl-- amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Citrine! I think I know exactly what you mean about the palettes that have both creams and powders. The creams always seem to get powder in them after a while, huh? I have a Too Faced palette that has powder blushes right next to lip colors and it's impossible to deep the lip colors clean. But with this palette I don't think it will be nearly as messy because the eyeshadow pans are so big, and the creams are at the bottom so most of powders are far away from them. lol. Plus, at this price, even if it does get messy over time you can just run out and buy another. lol! :)

    Hey Giselle! Wow, great call about the Stila dupe! That makes it even better! :) xo

    rayqueenbee--I agree, especially with the darker, more shimmery shades. I've purchased some other drugstore brands that have way less pigmentation than these and for almost double the price, you know? :)

    Shela! Ooooh, I get it now! I tempt you with this palette and so you've got to tempt me right back with this NYX mascara? I see how you are! LOL!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you posted this!!

    I went into my Target the other day (which was totally picked over) and saw this, picked it up, went to the register and DUH forget my wallet!! I was so mad! Then I tried to talk myself into not wanting it, but I think I'll go back tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i finally saw my elf display at target.. not impressed =( these shadows sound reminiscent of another brands quality.. hello coastal scents. glad you are enjoying the palette anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Lisa Kate! That is too funny. I try to talk myself out of buying stuff at Target all the time! Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. :) I would love to know what you think of this palette when you get it. I just love that you get so many shades for the price of a regular drugstore eyeshadow single. So even if only two or three shades work for you, it's still a good investment, you know? :)

    yummy411--Did your display have any single brushes left? It sounds like the $1 brushes are the first thing to be wiped out at most locations. I still haven't seen them at my Target yet. :( Just wondering what you thought of those if you saw them. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really thinking about getting this eyeshadow book. I love the colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Katy! I would love to know what you think of it if you get it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!!!! I think I'm definitely going to pick this up over the weekend. I've seen the ELF display in at least 3 of my Targets- for the life of me I don't know why I haven't picked on up yet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey girlie! I would love love love to see one of your awesome reviews if/when you buy one of these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh, girl! I love love love this palette. I'm so glad I bought it! The pigmentation is fabulous and the shadows have pretty decent staying power, considering the fact that my lids are oily and they eat up makeup!

    I also bought the elf waterproof eyeliner pen and it gives me the BEST precision! The felt tip didn't jab my in the eye either, so that's a bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  14. *adds waterproof eyeliner pen to future haul list*. Done! lol. xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha hey join the club ;)
    I'm already letting everyone I know to get one before they're gone!

    And I just realized that I have a typo in almost every post. It must be because I get too excited to spell correctly LOL!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig