Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Saturday, November 14, 2009

Need beauty advice? There's an app for that. (sigh.)

I'm a Blackberry user, so I don't get too excited when I see those "There's an app for that..." commercials for the iPhone. In fact, I usually let out a big "UGH!" when I see those commercials because they seem to be on every channel, all the time.

BUT, if you are an iPhone user, would you consider purchasing apps that give you beauty advice or let you change the color of your hair with a pic from your phone?

From thenhuch.com:
Given the high touch of the cosmetics industry, many people wonder how a phone application could be relevant to most businesses. While at FIT’s Cosmetics and Fragrance Masters program, we proposed a phone application as part of our graduation Capstone back in May 2008. We envisioned that people would use their phones to track fitness, beauty and nutrition and receive recommendations based on recorded behavior. Within 2 years, iPhone apps became very popular and are slowly becoming a major communication tool for beauty brands. Here is list of a few applications that are being talked about (visit iTunes to download any of them):
Good Guide – free (via ipodrepairs.net): "Rates beauty products from 1 to 10 so that you can evaluate the credibility of the company."
Beauty – $1.99 (via freshapps.com): "This application computes the Beauty Factor of a frontal face."
iStylish – $2 (via geeksugar.com): Makeover app.
ColorTry – $0.99. (via allure.com): "Take a picture with your iPhone and then try out different hair colors."
Sally’s Salon – $0.99 (via allure.com): Game format. You’re a salon owner, directing your clients from shampoo station to haircut chair to blow-dry to cash register.
Dermalogica – free: Prescription tool.


Ladies, how do you feel about beauty-related iPhone apps? Useful, or a waste of space?


SHARE:

6 comments

  1. Considering my loathsome view of Apple and all their products (though I'm a slave to my Ipod - on #4 due to Apple quality) I'd have to say no. I'm sad general apps aren't made for use with many/all phones. Not hard to do but a challenge in the Apple money making dept. Doubtful I'd use a product like that give availability on other phones, however. I like my products real, not virtual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an ipod touch which is pretty much the same thing as an ipod and I love the beauty related apps. I downloaded a few tutorial apps that are actually quite nice and very helpful.

    As for the apps you mentioned in the post I think some of them do sound nice. I think I might dl "Good Guide" right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly think Apple's going over the top with all these apps but some are actually interesting while others (like there's this one app where you can blow up a woman's skirt. I think it's disgusting) kind of piss me off (like said app).

    But Good Guide just might come in handy when you're standing in line at Sephora, biting your nails when you're wondering if the eye shadow primer you're holding is worth $20.

    Speaking of which, I haven't bought UDPP yet but my Physician's Formula concealer works pretty well. No creasing and 70% color remained at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my itouch but I don't download apps b/c they are scary... esp. when someone has pages full of apps! It's like... I don't need that much. However, that looks fun :) I'll get it as soon as I finish downloading my sudoku app :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suz--I have to say you sound exactly like my boyfriend, who has gone through 2 iPods himself. lol. I agree--the virtual products aren't for me, and to tell you the truth, I still like getting my beauty advice the "old fashioned" way: via blogs. lol. :)

    Hi samantha! Good to know that you are finding beauty apps helpful. If I had an iPhone, I would probably look at one just out of sheer curiosity, but it sort of doesn't seem right that you have to pay for them when blogs are free. :) So what apps do you like and use? Thanks!

    Shela--So there truly is an app for *everything* then, right? Sheesh! Oh, and when I'm standing in line wondering about a product, I usually just google the product name + reviews and see what the bloggers have to say. lol. I guess that's old school of me. :) Glad to hear that the PF eye primer is working for you! That's fantastic!!! xo

    ndoodles: I am the same way with my blackberry. I have one or two apps (google maps, weather, etc.) but too many apps just seems crazy to me and I think I'd forget I even have them on my phone! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah, I saved a lot of money by using my concealer as a substitution. Unfortunately, I don't have internet on my phone (I chose not to get it. I would be too attached) so I usually just call a friend for input. Or do my research before I get there ;)

    I did a "look of the day" like you requested. I even tried to do a video tutorial but it was a really really miserable attempt LOL.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig