Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Review: Hard Candy Just Nails Nail Color in "Mr. Wrong"

I'm mad at work testing out the other products I purchased during my Hard Candy haul from last week, but I wanted to do a quick review today of the nail color I bought, "Mr. Wrong" (retail: $5). Let's take a look:



First I want to say big thanks to Tanya at The Pink Train Case for doing a review of this a few weeks ago--her review is the main reason I bought this color. And also thanks to Halifax who sweetly asked me yesterday when I was going to review it--I had initally put this at the bottom of my list to review (I'm really excited about reviewing the makeup!) but now I am so glad I busted it out--it's stunning!

As you can see, this color is quite the chameleon. I've got to say, it's one of the most interesting and complex shades I've come across in a while (especially at the drugstore level). Depending on the lighting, "Mr. Wrong" can look like a taupe, a golden foil, an iridescent silver or even a deep purple shimmer. I totally understand why they named this shade "Mr. Wrong" because this color is mysterious and alluring and anything but boring...just like many "Mr. Wrongs" I've met in my life. :)

Here are some swatches (warning, these were taken pre-clean-up because I wanted to get this blog entry up as quickly as possible):










(All pics taken after 2 coats, base coat (Orly Bonder) and top coat (Revlon Quick Dry Top Coat).)

See...I told you it's a chameleon! I've got to say, this color would be perfect those of you who are attracted to dark, vampy colors, and if you've secretly always wanted to wear black nail polish but never thought you could pull it off, try "Mr. Wrong." It's dark and seductive yet the intense gold and silver shimmer manage to keep it lighter and more feminine than your average vampy almost-black shades out there. You know, I'm going to go out on a limb and say I even think is a safe-for-work color. Yep, I really do. Because even though it's got tons of shimmer, the base color makes it almost neutral. In other words, it's not a shockingly bright color in real life. It's subtle from far away, but it sucks you in as you get closer and closer to it. Like I said, it's appropriately named, that's for sure!

Let's talk about the brush and texture. I'd say the brush is on the thin side (which I personally like because it makes it easier for me to paint the sides of my nails). If I had to compare the brush to another brand, I'd say it's quite similar to China Glaze brushes. The texture? Well this is where I hit a minor snag. It's not thick at first, but mid-manicure this polish thickened up on me. Nothing too terrible, but I still want to note it so that it doesn't surprise you. But seriously, this is nothing that a few drops of nail polish thinner can't fix--and really, no good recessionista should be without a bottle of nail polish thinner anyway! It's the cheapest, quickest way to extend the life of your existing nail polish stash, so definitely get some at your local beauty supply if you don't already own some. I bought this one at Sally for like 4 bucks and it's awesome because the dropper is built-in.

As for the staying power, I can't speak to it yet because I've been wearing this for less than 24 hours. But so far, so good. I'll update this post after a few days to let you know how it passes the chip and wear tests.

[10/11/09--UPDATE: To see how my nails looked on day five of my Hard Candy "Mr. Wrong" manicure, click here.]

And here's a bonus shot of my Mr. Right, the boyfriend, modeling the iconic Hard Candy ring, which comes with each bottle of nail polish:


I took this with my Blackberry camera because there was just no way he was going to sit still with this ring on while I ran upstairs to grab my digital camera. :)

So do you plan on picking up some Hard Candy Just Nails polishes? I'd love to hear your thoughts!
SHARE:

17 comments

  1. Thanks so much for this review! I've been looking forward to your Hard Candy reviews!

    Mr Wrong is such a unique color for a drugstore polish. I will definitely grab this one as soon as one of my local stores decide to carry it. Please report back on its' wear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sorta reminds me of their old polish in Ghetto Girl. Same sort of reflecting different colors in different lights, and similar base color.

    Looking at the colors again, I want to try the plum sparkly one and maybe the peachy shimmery one (I have no idea of names here!)

    I may be semi-forced out of the house tomorrow when my boyfriend has a friend over in the afternoon so I'll likely go on a HC hunt again.

    I'd also like to hear the wear of them though -- I'm not going to spend $5 on a polish if it'll chip in a day!

    Also is Orly Bonder really good? I thought about buying it but I read in some reviews that people have noticed their nails stained from it.

    The safe for work part made me giggle a little -- these are the people who saw me through pink, bright red, purple, and orange hair -- I think they can deal with whatever polish color I choose! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, love it, love it! I actually just bought this the other day - it's gorgeous, and you are right, quite an alluring color!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting color! I love it. Thanks for the review...I may have to make the trip to my nearest wal-mart :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woo hooo! R brought out Mr. Wrong, just for me!!! Just kidding.

    Thanks so much for reviewing this shade. I love the nature of chameleon in eyeshadows and polishes, because it's so fun. And yeah, for $5, Mr. Wrong gotta do better than China Glaze which is my fav brand.

    Bonus point for the bf to model the ring, lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nail polish thinner.... I never thought of that! I'm so new to this whole nail polish thing. Some of my polishes have getting thicker while I'm working on my nails... making it extremely annoying. I'll look into that :D Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Black nail polish is a bit too edgy for me. But with glitter or shimmer, I'll give it a try =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This color is so pretty! The color sort of reminds me of Chanel's Noir Ceramic, which I looove, but starts chipping in about an hour. This polish definitely seems like a must have for fall and winter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agh, I wanted to buy this yesterday, but my Wal-Mart only had half of the nail polishes that yours had. Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey mooosley! I'd love to know what you think of this color if you buy it. Also, day 2 and no chips so far! I'll keep you posted. xo

    Hey Papaya Bunny! Interesting that you think there was a similar color in the original collection. Honestly, I only owned maybe three or four different shades from that collection (a lime green cream, a pink and I forget what else!) so thanks for the heads-up. Also, regarding Orly Bonder: I have heard those same complaints, but luckily that hasn't happened to me yet. I've been using it for about a year and so far so good. It's been a great base coat for me and extends the life of my mani by several days. I haven't found anything better yet! What do you use?

    Hey Shakeup Your Makeup! Oooh, I'm so glad you bought this too--I cannot wait to see your review and PICS! Your pics are always so amazing and I'm sure you're going to pick up much more detail! :)

    Hey giselle! Would love to know what you think if you pick this one up. :)

    Hey Halifax! Yup, I did it for you! :) And I'm glad I listened to you, too! lol. It's truly a gorgeous color and I really hope these become available for you soon (or that you can get one in a swap!). I'll tell the bf that you gave him bonus points. lol. xoxo

    Hey Laurie! Well I can tell you that I've been wearing this for about 24 hrs now and no chips (I even did dishes last night). So, so far so good. :) And this is a heck of a lot less expensive than the Chanel. lol!

    Hey Miss Molly! Oh that sucks--hopefully they'll stock the polish section of your Walmart very soon...keep me posted? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been using Gelous Advanced Nail Gel Coat from Sally's since it was the only base coat on the makeupalley reviews that got 100%. I actually experimented this week with one hand with and one hand without, so whenever I motivate myself to organize the pictures (probably Friday or Saturday) I'll have a post about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey sweetie--thanks for the info! I'll definitely check out your blog for the review. xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sad! I went to 2 walmarts looking for Hard Candy, and they don't have it yet :( I'll have to try another one soon.

    This looks like such a neat color.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is quite an interesting shade! I've been looking for something like that for a while now. Thanks for posting this (=

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Phyrra! Did you find it yet? I'm so sorry you've been having trouble HC in your area. :(

    Hey Gaby! You are so welcome! I hope you love it as much as I do when you see it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I heard this is a close dupe for chanel's graphite from their fall 2011 collection

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow. I still have this polish! and it is still one of my faves. They really dont seem to have much polish these days after the walmart re-launch. :(

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig