Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, June 19, 2009

Review: Jesse's Girl Color My World Baked Eyeshadow from the MakeupMixShop

A few weeks ago a friend and I decided to go in together on an order at MakeupMasala's TheMakeupMixShop. If you've never been to this site, you must drop by ASAP. It's a mecca for all of the hard-to-find drugstore makeup products that may otherwise be impossible for you to get your hands on. The prices are incredible, the selection always changes and they are constantly running great sales.

So anyway, my friend and I set a rule for ourselves: The order could not go over $40 ($20 a piece). A girl's gotta have a limits, right? And I was astounded at how much I was able to get (including some NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils, finally!). I'll be reviewing everything I received in the weeks to come, but I'd like to start with this gorgeous eyeshadow, Jesse's Girl Color My World Baked Eyeshadow in "Evergreen":


You've probably seen Jesse's Girl products at Rite-Aid or other drugstores and were drawn to their bright, colorful shades and cheap prices (not to mention the reference to Rick Springfield's 80s pop classic). And if you're like me, you've probably purchased a product or two and been well, a little underwhelmed by their performance.

So I was skeptical about ordering this Jesse's Girl Color My World Baked Eyeshadow, but the swirls of shimmering teal and gold in "Evergreen" were just too pretty to resist. Plus, these are just $4.99 a piece and the compact is quite large for an eyeshadow single (it's more the size of a blush compact than an eyeshadow compact!).

Now, the few Jesse's Girl eyeshadows I've tried in the past had little to no pigment, huge chunks of messy glitter and zero staying power. I'm pleased to say that the Color My World shadows are sooooo much better! First of all, look at these colors:


This shadow applies very smoothly (no chalky or rough particles), it blends well and, with the help of a good primer, lasts several hours. You can also apply it wet, which I've been too scared to try since the pigmentation is quite good and the teal can look very bright, even when applied dried. Now, there is serious microglitter in this shadow and if you're not careful you'll get fallout on your cheeks. Also, the microglitter is a little chunky but nowhere near the level of say, Urban Decay Midnight Cowboy. With a light hand, you can apply this as a sheer wash of sparkly color on those days when you're craving something special. Here's a swatch:


From left to right, the first swatch is what you get when you mix the gold and teal, the second is just the teal and the third is just the gold. So really, you get three colors in one compact. Score!

Final Analysis: I was pleasantly surprised with this shadow. The colors are stunning and I will definitely use this when I want a sheer wash of shimmery color. I don't think I would ever apply it heavily to my eyes because it would be an extremely intense color with too much glitter. But with a light hand, you can get a gorgeous, sheer wash of sparkly color.

Stay tuned for more reviews from my MakeupMixShop haul, and hopefully I can talk my glossaholic friend into guest-blogging about the gorgeous NYX lipglosses she purchased as well. :)

[UPDATE: I've just been told that the Color My World shadows are dupes of the MAC Electroflash Mineralized Eyeshadow Duos that came out in Fall '08, and that "Evergreen" most closely resembles MAC "Fresh Green Mix". For pics of the MAC Electroflash Mineralized Duos, click here. I personally never purchased any of the Electroflash stuff so if you have both the MAC and Jesse's Girl shadows, please leave a comment and tell us if they're a good dupe? Thanks!]
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Ohhh I wanted to know how these guys swatched! Thanks for sharing your views on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey rasilla! You are so welcome! I'm glad I could help! The color combo of this compact is truly striking and I am liking it more and more each time I wear it. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig