Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, June 8, 2009

Review: Daisy Fuentes Voluminous Curls & Waves Shampoo & Conditioner


Come on, you know you've been curious about this line. Well stop your wondering because I actually purchased the Daisy Fuentes Voluminous Curls & Waves Shampoo and Conditioner and I'm giving you the scoop so that you can decide if you want to give them a whirl.

First off, let me warn you:

Do not buy these products if you do not like the smell of gardenia flowers. Seriously, the fragrance is so strong it will wake you up in the shower. This was deceptive because it didn't smell that strong in the bottle. But put some in your hair and WOW, it's a gardenia garden! And the scent lingers in your hair for a good long while afterward, so consider yourself warned.

That said, you can find Daisy Fuentes hair care products at Rite-Aid and Walgreens. The shampoos and conditioners retail for $7.99 each (10 oz). I decided to purchase the Voluminous Curls & Waves shampoo and conditioner (the other option is the Flawless Smooth and Straight Shampoo and Conditioner) based on the fact that I have wavy hair and I tend to play up my curls as opposed to straightening my hair.

I used both the shampoo and conditioner every day for one week straight and I can honestly say that I don't hate either one. I love that these products are paraben and sulfate free and, unlike some other sulfate-free shampoos, I have no problem at all with getting this one to lather. The lather is nice and thick and your hair feels clean when you rinse, but not dry at all. In fact, it feels more moisturizing than any other shampoo currently in my shower (and I've got a lot of shampoos in my shower, let me tell you).

The conditioner is thick, so it's bordering on difficult to squeeze out of the bottle. Conditioners, for the most part, are tricky because you don't know right off the bat how much you should use on your particular hair. I can use a conditioner one day and absolutely hate it, but use it the next day at half the original amount and suddenly it's the best product to have ever touched my hair. That said, I used too little the first few times I tried this conditioner, then I used too much. Eventually I found my sweet spot: For my med-long hair, a little less than a tablespoon seems to work best.

I like to call this a "sleeper" conditioner. What I mean is that you don't really feel that your hair is overly moisturized when you're rinsing it out in the shower, but once it dries it feels incredibly soft. So soft that I'm inclined to recommend this to thick, coarse-haired girls only. It feels so soft on my fine, oily hair that I am scared it will look flat and oily before the day is over. It never does look flat or oily but if feels like it's right on the border of turning that way all day. Not a good feeling. To combat this paranoia, I tried using less product but that just made my hair feel dry, poofy and out of control (i.e. like using no conditioner at all). So with this product, more is better, I guess.

Also, I should add that this did nothing to enhance my curls yet, surprisingly, it didn't weigh them down either. In other words, they looked about the same as they always do.

Final Analysis: If you love the scent of gardenia and you have thick, dry, coarse, wavy or curly hair, DEFINITELY give these products a shot. For the rest of us? There are far better sulfate and paraben free products on the market for fine and/or oily haired girls. For me? I'll probably use the shampoo on a semi-regular basis and save the conditioner for the days after I've just colored my hair and I really need some heavy-duty moisturization.

I really should have thought about the fact that Daisy Fuentes has gorgeous, very thick hair. I'm sure these products work like a charm for her...
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. I've tried the Daisy Fuentes Smooth & Straight and I love them. You're right, the scent is there! But, I love it... it smells luxurious and femenine. My hair felt a bit healthier/shinier after a couple of weeks of using the products. I also like the shine spray & the hair spray but only if you want strong hold (perfect for updos).
    Overall I like the products, and love that they're healthy (no parabens/sulfate)and smell divine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anon--thanks for taking the time to leave a comment about the Smooth & Straight products! I'm so glad they're working well for you! It's good to know that the hairspray is strong hold :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So...after using the Curly line for a couple of weeks, I have to say that this is one of the best curly shampoos I have ever come across! love the lasting smell and I must add that my curls have been beyong curly! Luv this line.
    and just FYI..the other suggested lines V05, SUAVE and Sunsilk ar horrible they are cheap and can NOT be compared to Daisy Fuentes line- Maybe Nexxus or Matrix Biolage a bit pricey but worth it=)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liz: I'm glad that this line is working so well for you! But I have to beg to differ with you about Vo5, Suave and Sunsilk. I use all three of those brands as well, and I have had fantastic results. Yes, they're inexpensive, but sometimes the most expensive shampoos are loaded with the exact same ingredients as these drugstore brands. Hair is very subjective and what may work for one person might be a disaster for another. So as I always say, try it for yourself and your results may vary. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig