Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Excuse me, but would you care to clarify?


Let's talk Clarifying shampoos, shall we? By now, everyone probably knows that if your favorite shampoo and conditioner suddenly stop doing all the wonderful things you're accustomed to them doing, you probably just have a case of product build-up. Those lovely silicones that make your hair so soft and silky also, over time, leave a waxy build-up on your strands. A lot of conditioners contain silicones that are not water soluble, so a good washing with your favorite shampoo (especially if you use a "moisturizing" shampoo) might not remove the build-up. Enter the clarifying shampoo.

After years of trying various salon brands and drugstore brands of clarifying shampoos, I always come back to Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo. It's a dollar or two, it smells nice and clean, and it WORKS. Use it once a week if you regularly use a lot of styling products on your hair, or use it once a month if you don't. Then return to your favorite shampoo and conditioner the next time you wash your hair and they'll work their magic again.

You can also use Suave (or any other clarifying shampoo you may own) to clean your makeup brushes! Take a glass of warm water, add a dollop of shampoo, and swirl your brush in the mixture for a few minutes. Then rinse your brush under running water and air-dry the brush on the sink. Important: Don't ever air-dry your brushes by leaving them standing upright in a container! If you do this, the water will drip back down into the handle and may cause rusting. Simply set your brush on the edge of your sink (don't let the bristles touch the counter) and let them dry overnight. In the morning they'll be dry, clean, soft and ready to go!
SHARE:

3 comments

  1. WOW, better than the beauty advice from oh so many magazines!
    I will continue to follow this blog and read EVERY SINGLE WORD.
    Better than a friend in the beauty business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post! I use the same clarifying shampoo and it works like a charm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pantene used to make an excellent clarifying shampoo that went away when they did all the repackaging and new products. I miss it so much. I think I'll pick up some of this and see if it makes a difference. I also wanted to mention that Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap makes an excellent brush cleaner too. Certainly more expensive than shampoo, but my issue is that I wouldn't put shampoo on my face so I won't put it on my brushes. Still, the number of people I know who've never cleaned their brushes or never think about it astound me.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig