Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Review: J.R. Watkins Lip Tints, Body Oil Mist and Hand & Body Lotions

After I reviewed the wonderful J.R. Watkins Lemon Hand Cream the other day, many of you couldn't believe that ALL J.R. Watkins products are on sale this week at Rite Aid for 2/$3. Well I'm here to tell you that it's TRUE, and you can check the comments on my original review if you don't believe me! A lot of you are stocking up this week and I love hearing about what you're getting.

Since this sale is going on through this Saturday (12/17), I wanted to post about the other products I received recently in case you're looking to stock up. I've noticed that the selection of J.R. Watkins products at Rite Aid seems to vary a bit from store to store, so if you couldn't find the Lemon Hand Cream at your location, here are a few other products for your consideration:

 J.R. Watkins Hand & Body Lotion in Grapefruit
(retail: $9.99, 11 oz)



 J.R. Watkins Hand & Body Lotion in Lavender
(retail: $9.99, 11 oz)



As I mentioned in my review of the Lemon Hand Cream, J.R. Watkins products are free from just about every controversial ingredient you can think of, they're not tested on animals and they're made in the USA. Like the Lemon Hand Cream, I find the body lotions to be rich and thick since they contain lots of natural skin-loving ingredients such as shea butter, coconut oil and jojoba seed oil. This lotion has a thick consistency that's going to take a minute to work into the skin and it does not absorb quickly. I am currently loving it for my arms and legs and I like to apply it before I put on my clothes and just let it work its magic throughout the day. By the end of the day, my skin is soft and hydrated and I find that this lotion really keeps my skin soft all through the day and night. Good stuff!

 flip-top squeeze bottle

Between the Grapefruit and Lavender lotions, my favorite is Grapefruit (although they do make this in the same fabulous lemon scent as the hand cream, which is my VERY favorite). I find the Grapefruit lotion to be very natural-smelling; basically it's like grapefruit extract. The Lavender lotion is a very natural-smelling lavender (like pure lavender essential oil) and both lotions have a stronger fragrance to them. They're not scents that you can't smell a minute after you apply them--I can smell both on my skin for at least an hour after application.

To see the full list of scents available including lemon, mango, coconut and more, click here.

 J.R. Watkins Lip Tints in Scarlet Sunset and Berry Charming
(retail: $4.99 each, 0.09 oz)

There are six shades in this range and you can click here to view them all. I received Scarlet Sunset and Berry Charming for review.




To me, the J.R. Watkins Lip Tints are reminiscent of  Burt's Bees Lip Shimmers. They basically have the same narrow, long tube and both balms have a shimmery finish to them:



These have the same type of minty fragrance/flavor as the Burt's Bees version, but if my memory serves me correctly (I reviewed the Burt's Bees Lip Shimmers a few years ago and haven't used them in a while), I think the J.R. Watkins Lip Tints might be a tad more pigmented. Basically, if you like the Burt's Bees version, I'm willing to bet you'll enjoy these too. 

These Lip Tints have a drier consistency to them--they're not super greasy or slick balms and they're not glossy either. I think they impart almost a stain-like quality to the lips but with some nice shimmer as well. You know the look you achieve when you put on a regular clear lip balm and then layer lipliner over it to fill in your lips with color? THAT'S what these look like on my lips. And even though they're not slick, they are moisturizing just like a standard lip balm.

And last but not least, we have a new product from J.R. Watkins:

 J.R. Watkins Body Oil Mist in Grapefruit
(retail: $8.99, 6 oz)



For me, the J.R. Watkins Body Oil Mist functions much like a dry oil. I can spray it on my skin, rub it in, and it quickly absorbs into my skin without leaving a heavy, oily residue behind. I'm not really a dry oil person, but I do like how easy this one is to apply and that the ingredients list is so basic. My one word of caution is that since this is a mist, you need to be careful of what is around you when you spray this. The first time I used it, I didn't realize the mist would go beyond my arms and onto my desk, so my suggestion would be to hold the nozzle very close to your skin so that the mist doesn't go flying where you don't want it to go. The fragrance of this mist is the same as the Grapefruit Hand & Body Lotion--pure, sweet, tart grapefruit.

The new Body Oil Mist also comes in coconut.

I hope this review helps those of you who are thinking about taking advantage of the Rite Aid sale this week, or are interested in J.R. Watkins products in general. There are lots of great products in this line, and you can find many of them at Rite Aid, Walgreens, Target and other retailers, as well as online.

Did you buy or are you planning to buy any J.R. Watkins products this week? Are you already a fan of this brand? What are some of YOUR favorites?

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. I really have to try these products after your hand cream review, and this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm really enjoying your blog, do many great tips! I need to get to Rite Aid ASAP, maybe I'll prowl a couple of the local stores to stock up in these to replace the B&BW stuff I returned when I realized I went over budget...;) (plus no icky chemicals!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I'm really enjoying your blog, do many great tips! I need to get to Rite Aid ASAP, maybe I'll prowl a couple of the local stores to stock up in these to replace the B&BW stuff I returned when I realized I went over budget...;) (plus no icky chemicals!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, thanks so much for all this great info. I'm going to be checking out my local RAide and buying a bunch as stocking stuffers...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've tried J.R. Watkins Body lotions and was impressed. I must try other stuff in their line! I'm curious about the body oil mist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went out to look for the lemon hand cream because of your review. Couldn't find the hand cream, but went a little crazy and bought 3 hand and body lotions (lemon, lavender, mango) and 2 hand soaps (lavender, lemon). I wish they had the grapefruit scent! I can't believe these went from $8-9 each to 2/$3!

    It's a little thick to be slathering all over my body, but I'm going to be keeping these by my bed side to apply on my hands. =) Wish I could have found the lemon hand cream though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got the lotions in Mango, Lavender, Lemon, and Aloe & Green Tea. I don't really like the Mango, but I love the other scents. Wish I could find the other fragrances too. The lotions are really nice! Today I told a lady standing in line behind me about the sale and she got out of line to go get some. I just can't believe how cheap they are!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought 2 lemon creme body lotions last night at RA. I am going to try to get ahold of some of the other products and hope to find the hand cream. Of course with such a great deal, I am finding these to be pretty picked over. p.s. who doesnt love to say "pamplemousse"!?

    ReplyDelete
  9. For those who can't find JR Watkins in their area, Alice.com is having a sale of 5-20% their JR Watkins products. There's only 15 products and no dry oil or Grapefruit scent, but they do have Lemon Cream and four of the lip tints!
    You'll have to join Alice.com to check it out, but they offer free shipping on every product!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi G! i am now OBSESSED with the lemon hand cream!! i had been using an ecotools one that also smells like lemon (not nearly as amazing tho) but i havent been able to find it in ulta lately so thank you for suggesting this!! i cant get over the smell!! SO GOOD!! and is such a nice lotion as well love it! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those lipt tints look really pretty. The berry one is a really unique color.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh. My. God. I grew up with these! The guy in the truck came to our house every other month. I didn't know they were in stores!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig