Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, December 12, 2011

Review: J.R. Watkins Lemon Cream Hand Cream (caution: do not use while hungry)

Since Rite Aid is having a sale this week on J.R. Watkins products (2/$3!), I thought I better hurry up and post a review ASAP. I recently received an assortment of J.R. Watkins products and will be bringing you additional reviews in the near future, but today I want to talk about my very favorite product of the bunch, the Lemon Cream Hand Cream. Lovelies, this is the product that I wanted Lush Lemony Flutter to be, but I'm jumping ahead of myself here (more on that in a bit):

 J.R. Watkins Lemon Cream Hand Cream 
(retail: $9.99, 3.3 oz)

Before I even get into why I love this product, I have to say that I adore the vintage apothecary packaging. Not only because I love anything old-timey, but because J.R. Watkins has actually been in business since 1868, so they're not just being "cutesy" with this packaging. It's a call-back to their roots:


This hand cream is free of just about every controversial ingredient you can think of, and J.R. Watkins products are also not tested on animals:





Lemon Cream Hand Cream 
N.P.A. Certified Article No. 40509

J.R. Watkins Body Creams provide your skin with the ultimate moisturizing experience. Natural shea and cocoa butters are whipped together with more than 10 natural oils and extracts to protect, soothe and condition your delicate skin. This is a healthy treat your skin will never forget!

  • 96-97% natural
  • Ideal for rough areas including heels, knees and elbows

    Brand Commitments:
    • 95% Natural and above
    • Sodium Lauryl Sulfate Free
    • Sodium Laureth Sulfate Free
    • Paraben Free
    • Phthalate Free
    • Mineral Oil, Petrolatum free
    • Dye Free

  • I also like that this hand cream comes in a convenient squeeze-tube:


    But let's get down to the two reasons why I'm going to proclaim this my New Favorite Hand Cream

    Number one: the fragrance. OK, have you ever eaten the infamous Costco Lemon Cake? Or heck, any type of lemon bundt cake in general? This cream smells EXACTLY like that. I mean, I can pick out the lemon, the sugar, the butter, the frosting...it's got it all. I am seriously tempted to lick my hands when I use this stuff. This is actually want I WANTED Lush Lemony Flutter to smell like, but that product ended up smelling of citronella, diaper cream and band-aids for me (sorry, Lush!).

    Number two: for wintertime, this is one rich, thick hand cream that works so well for this time of year. This isn't the kind of stuff that's going to wear off in 10 minutes after you apply it. Now granted, due to all the natural ingredients like shea butter (which, by the way, is the second ingredient down on the list, which means there's a nice amount of it here), macadamia seed oil, jojoba oil, etc., it's rich and it's going to take a bit of time to work it into your hands and get it to absorb. So be prepared for a bit of greasiness at first, but I don't find it lasts long. After a few minutes this stuff absorbs nicely and leaves a wonderful, soft, protective coating behind.



    If you're new to this brand and would like to know more, I encourage you to take a look around their website and check out their history, commitment to leaving a smaller carbon footprint and details about their Clear Conscious Club. Interesting stuff!

    FINAL  VERDICT: I'm proudly declaring J.R. Watkins Lemon Hand Cream my New Favorite Hand Cream. I'm almost ashamed it took me so long to try this one because not only am I loving it for my hands, but I'm loving it for my feet (especially my poor, dry heels). If you are in the market for a delicious, lemon-cake-scented hand cream that's full of natural ingredients and is rich and thick, this might be the perfect product for you. It takes a few minutes to absorb so be prepared for that, but I think it's definitely worth the extra minute or two because this stuff lasts on my hands and keeps them so soft and protected. I really can't think of anyone this wouldn't work for, with the exception of those who don't like lemony or gourmand fragrances, and those who require a fast-absorbing hand cream. Other than that, I say give this one a shot (especially if you can pick it up during the Rite Aid sale--you don't see these products 2/$3 often, so I'm stocking up).

    J.R. Watkins products are available at Rite Aid, Target, Walgreens and other retailers across the nation, as well as online.

    Have you tried any products by J.R. Watkins? What do you think of them? Please check back soon because I'll be bringing you reviews of their new body oil mist, tinted lip balms and body lotions in the very near future.

    A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
    SHARE:

    25 comments

    1. I'm dropping by a Rite Aid tonight - I'll have to check this out! It is so hard to find beauty products that are almost completely natural - JR Watkins seems to be doing a great job of that, you know what most of the ingredients are!
      My hands get destroyed this time of year, and I mainly use Curel and Gold Bond Ultimate Healing lotions to deal with the dryness from the cold (and indoor heat), but would love to try something new. The yummy smell is an added plus!

      ReplyDelete
    2. completely random, but i really need your help. im a makeup newbie. :)
      so which do you suggest physicians formula healthy wear powder foundation or maybelline's power powder foundation? please reply!
      ps. i love your blog and trust you completely!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Thank you for the Lemony Flutter description. I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out why I don't like it. I just feel like I should like it because everyone else does.

      Now I know. :D

      And the hand cream sounds divine.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Consider my attention grabbed. Haha, I was wondering if there were any natural products in the drugstore that could do something about my scaly winter hands. (Shameful but true.) There's a Rite-Aid within walking distance, so I'll have to see if I can find this brand there and stock up!

      Plus I love lemon scents. Thank you~! ♥

      ReplyDelete
    5. i love me a good hand cream and 2 for 3$ thats a great deal thanks for the great review i will look for some at my walgreens, and costco sure does have some good pastries i need to try this lemon cake you speak off I cant get enough of theyre pupmkin pie its the best ever!

      ReplyDelete
    6. It sounds lovely and I think I'll enjoy it! I love lemony cake scents too :-) Thanks for sharing!

      ReplyDelete
    7. Wow, two for three bucks is a great deal! I'll have to go to Rite-Aid tomorrow. I used to have a Watkins lemon cuticle salve that was wonderful. I just bought O'Keefe's "Working Hands," have you ever tried that? It's not greasy at all, but nicely moisturizing. I got it at Lowe's, of all places! :-)

      ReplyDelete
    8. I love their body butter which is now discontinued :( I used it on my feet and it was amazing!! I had lemon cream too and yea, it smelled yummy

      ReplyDelete
    9. I LOVE this stuff! I found at Target a couple years back, but I'm pretty sure I pay more than a few buck for it. Wish my local Walgreens & Rite-Aid carried it.

      ReplyDelete
    10. Thanks for the review, I'll be going to Rite Aid to buy this tomorrow!
      I thought I was the only one who thought Lemony Flutter smelled like bandaids! Glad I'm not alone!

      ReplyDelete
    11. O.K., this product sounds great! I checked the JRWatkins web-site to see what other products they have available....and lo and behold.....they have a lemon toilet bowl cleaner! Too funny.......

      ReplyDelete
    12. I just got back from Rite Aid - I picked up the body lotion in lavender at that awesome 2 for $3 price (I thought it was a mistake!). The lemon cream smelled fantastic but I had to put it back because no kidding it smells so delicious I would end up craving lemon cake all day long if I used it.

      ReplyDelete
    13. This is one of my ALL time favorite hand creams, I positively swear by it, and of course it smells absolutely divine!!

      ReplyDelete
    14. Thanks for posting about this. I need a rich hand cream for the winter. I love that this has natural ingredients, smells good, and is CHEAP! I'll be heading to Rite Aid tomorrow to pick a few up!

      ReplyDelete
    15. I will have to try this! Looks amazing!

      ReplyDelete
    16. Ok I am absolutely going to Rite Aid today! I love love love lemon! I have always stayed away from J.R Watkins b/c I sniffed one once and was really grossed out. IDK what it was...anyway tis the season to have hand cream on every counter, especially Central NY! Thanks so much for giving us the heads up on this G.!

      ReplyDelete
    17. OMG I hve the lemon creme butter in a tub... and you're right. I don't use it when I'm on a diet LOL.... thanks for the review!!

      ReplyDelete
    18. Holy cow I can't believe the awesome deal Rite Aid is having right now on this brand! I went and bought 6 of the Lemon Hand and Body lotions (large size!) My total went from $56 to $9 after she scanned my card! And the scent is so yummy!! I love your site so much, you have turned me on to so many awesome products! I always check your site first when I go online!

      ReplyDelete
    19. I got the Lemon lotion and hand soap (they didn't have the cream). Thank you G, they smell wonderful! What a fantastic price. They're normally $6.99 each, I think it said!

      ReplyDelete
    20. My RiteAid didn't have the hand cream, but I did buy two bottles of the Lemon Cream lotion. $3 for two 11 oz. bottles--cheap and twice the price!

      ReplyDelete
    21. I went to about 5 different Rite Aids today looking for this hand cream, but none of them carried it. So instead I picked up 8 bottles of lotion, 1 bottle of foot cream, and 1 bottle of hand soap, all for $1.50 each. At the first store I went to, the guy rang me up and said, "Wow, $5.34! That's what you call good shopping!" LOL!

      I told my parents about this deal, so now I have to go back and get my dad several lotions and foot creams, plus some lotions for my mom. I may have to pick up some more for myself. I normally make my own lotion because I haven't found a natural store-bought lotion that I like, but I hate doing it. I'm stocking up on these so I won't have to make more for a while.

      ReplyDelete
    22. Picked up my bottles tonight. Retail $8.99 ea. at my Rite Aid. They had Mango and Lavendar too. Found 1 $1 off 1 coupon too!

      Thanks!!

      ReplyDelete
    23. Omg the scent is total crack! I discovered this in a friend's bathroom years ago and would always slather it on my hands and be reminded of those lemon creme sandwich Girl Scout cookies! I use the body lotion and it's sooooo nice.

      ReplyDelete
    24. We don't have Rite Aid in Oklahoma (I wish we did!) but I went out to Walgreens tonight and bought some of this. It is AWESOME. Also I found a $1 off coupon for it. I ended up paying $7.99 for the 11 oz. bottle but it's totally worth it. Thanks for sharing!

      ReplyDelete
    25. You can also find these at Cracker Barrel!

      ReplyDelete

    I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

    Please refrain from comments that contain:
    • Links to your own blog or website
    • Advertisements or referral links

    Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

    © 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
    BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig