Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, October 21, 2010

Review: CoverGirl Lashblast Fusion Mascara

I remember how excited I was when I first saw this new member of the Lashblast family hit store shelves. As you will see in the following pics, my lashes need all the help they can get. I have very fine lashes that are straight and sparse, and my primary need is volume, with length coming in second and easy removal coming in third on my "mascara requirement" list. But really, volume is so important to me that I'll gladly skimp on length to get it. I just need something that makes my nonexistent lashes because visible, and as long as it doesn't clump too badly, flake or smudge I'm a very happy camper. Oh, and of course I need it to remove easily with my normal cleanser, because I'm too low-maintenance to have my daily mascara dictate the need for eye makeup remover. I'm a wash-and-go kind of gal. What can I say?

When the original Lashblast first took the drugstore mascara world by storm, I remember liking it, but not loving it. I found the wand a bit bulky and I didn't think that the product deposited itself easily on my lashes. It kind of took work to get that mascara on my poor little lashes, and after the work, I didn't really see the "blast" that I was hoping for. But granted, my lashes require A LOT of help, so I wrote it off as not a love-match for me, although I know it's achieved Holy Grail status for many of you.

And then, when LashBlast Length hit the scene, I jumped to get my paws on it and discovered (as you can see in this review) that it was great for length, but not so great for volume (at least for me).

So when I received CoverGirl Lashblast Fusion recently for review, I was VERY excited to see that "volume" was the first word in the description.

After two attempts with other members of the Lashblast family, could this finally be THE Lashblast mascara for me and my needs?

CoverGirl Lashblast Fusion Mascara in Very Black
(retail: around $8.99)

First of all, I love the purple packaging (my photos make this mascara look far more blue but I assure you it is actually purple in real life). The wand size appears to be identical to the original Lashblast, but I can't confirm whether or not the bristle shape, with its tapered end, is identical to the original (it's been a while since I used the original).

Moving on to the actual formula, let me cut right to the chase: I LOVE IT. Lashblast Fusion is exactly what I wanted the original Lashblast to be. This mascara has quickly become my little workhorse when it comes to a product that is dependable, easy to use, and delivers on length and, most importantly, VOLUME. I get a little bit of both from Lastblast Fusion. The final look for me (after two coats) is not over-the-top, yet it delivers more volume than lots of my other mascaras. Plus, the fragrance of this mascara is mild, it never--and I mean NEVER--flakes or smudges on me, AND it removes very easily with my regular cleanser. No eye makeup remover needed for me, which is fabulous.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, let's take a look:

(NOTE: the first pic is of me wearing no mascara, and the two pics
below that are after two coats of Lashblast Fusion)


I thought I'd change it up a bit for the before-and-afters and show you my eyes after I had applied all of my makeup minus mascara. I don't know about you, but usually when I'm applying makeup, even if I do the most amazing job ever with my eyeshadow, it never looks quite right until I apply my mascara. So I thought it would be interesting to see a before shot of my complete makeup look (minus mascara) and then show you the after shots with two coats of mascara, just as a way to illustrate how a good mascara can really enhance an overall look.

Anyway, I hope you can see that Lashblast Fusion really gives my lashes a fuller look, yet it doesn't look clumpy. I like that my lashes are defined, noticeably fuller and longer! I did not curl my lashes before applying this mascara, because I think it's important to show you how the mascara works with no additional outside help.

Also, even though I wasn't a fan of the original Lashblast brush, this one doesn't seem to bother me at all. Now, maybe that's because I've grown accustomed to bigger brushes over the past year. I'm not sure, but all I know is that I actually found this brush easy to work with, and I haven't had any mishaps with the brush hitting my lids.

Final verdict: I think this is a fantastic daytime, work-week mascara. For me, it delivers on its claims, it's easy to use, easy to remove, and I haven't had a single issue with clumping, flaking or smudging (and with my oily skin, it's had plenty of opportunities to smudge). It doesn't give me the dramatic "Wow! Are you wearing false lashes??" look, but that's not what I want for a good day-to-day mascara. So for my particular needs, Lashblast Fusion gets an A+. I will definitely repurchase this one.

Do you own Lashblast Fusion? What do you think of it? I'd love to hear from you!

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

13 comments

  1. I've been wanting to try LashBlast Fusion,it seems like you and me have the same kind of lashes,so now I'm definitely gonna buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I *HATED* this mascara! I hated it with the heat of a thousand suns!

    My lashes looked great for about 2 hours and then I became flake city. And this made for very easy makeup removal because none were left on my lashes.

    I was totally bummed because I did like the way my lashes looked and loved the brush. But this product was not a meant to be product for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love LashBlast Fusion, too. I also like LashBlast Luxe in Black Emerald and Black Cabernet for a touch of color to my lashes.

    I agree with your review of LashBlast and LashBlast Length totally.

    JoElla— The flaking is a complete bummer. :-( I didn't have that happen with any of my LashBlast mascaras.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the Lashblast Fusion and Lashblast Luxe mascaras. For that extra OOMPH in mascara I reach for Flirt! It Curls Mascara.

    Glad you like this one like I do :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the CoverGirl LashBlast Volume very much, I shall try this when I use up my 5 unopened mascaras, whenever that is :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've tried the orange tube lash blast and the purple tube fusion one. The original works so much better for me - the fusion isn't that great. Wonder why your results are opposite mine?

    ReplyDelete
  7. THis isn't my favorite mascara, but I agree it is a great dytime/work week mascara.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am currently using Lash Blast Fusion. I like it, but I have to say i LOVE the orignal Lash Blast :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Miss Tapia: I would love to know what you think of it if you try it! :)

    JoElla: Mascara is SUCH a subjective thing. That's why it's probably the most difficult product of all for me to write about it. What works for one, might be a big huge fail for another. I'm sorry this flaked for you--it hasn't flaked one bit for me. Go figure!

    Melissa: I'm glad to hear this product worked for you as well! And thanks for chiming in regarding the flaking. Glad to hear it hasn't done that for you.

    Phyrra: Yay! So glad we have a love for this in common. :)

    cjx: Hahaha! Well, whenever you use those up, right? ;)

    Emily: Like I mentioned in my review, I know the original is Holy Grail material for a lot of you. Mascara is SUCH a subjective thing though. We probably don't have the same type of lashes, which means we don't have the same needs. That's the only thing I can think of in terms of why the orange works for you, and the purple works for me. :)

    PCS: Glad you agree, hun. :)

    Kate: Well it seems like if you like the orange, you don't like the purple, but if you like the purple, you don't like the orange. Interesting, huh? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely not the right spot for this but wasn't sure where to put it! But... at Target today they had Soft Lips Naturals line lip glosses on clearance! $1.42 instead of $5.89 :) Grabbed one of each, definitely good quality, not sticky whatsoever!! Thought I'd share!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks pretty good! I still can't get used to the original Lash Blast brush. just too bloody huge! and I have small eyes so it doesn't really do me any good at all.
    Anyway, I'm with you about awesome eyeshadow not looking great without mascara. Sometime my eyeshadow can look really good but then I go and use a mascara that's not so good, it'll totally spoil the look!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey G! :)
    I was using this 'til L'oreal Voluminous Million Lashes came out, which I am completely in love with! Like you, I need volume far more than length, and this is perfect! So hopefully you get a chance to try that soon.

    BTW, I bought EOS Lemon lip balm today based on your review. Ulta FINALLY made it to Columbus, OH and a friend and I went to the grand opening this morning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is probably my favorite all around mascara :) it gets "dry" a little fast but it's not expensive enough for me to cringe about buying a new bottle every month or so. glad you like it too!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig