Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, June 17, 2010

CVS is trying to make me gain weight

No, really! I think CVS is attempting to weaken my will to eat fruit when I get a sugar craving. I've scanned my CVS card four times in the past week or so and each time, the CVS slot machine gives me chocolate coupons. Dove, Godiva, M&Ms, you name it. Every single time, I get not one, but two $1 or BOGO coupons for chocolate. And no makeup coupons. What gives? I think I've only purchased chocolate once or twice in the past six months at CVS. So why, CVS, are you trying to tempt me into buying more chocolate than anyone should have in their home at one time???

OK, now that I've gotten that off my chest, I'd like to show you the mini-haul I did at CVS today because I'm pretty happy with the amount of money I saved. I hope that when I show you these hauls, it inspires you to get out and start clipping coupons, watching sales, and paying attention to your Extra Bucks opportunities because it really can save you a ton on things you buy and use on a regular basis!

Here's what I bought today, with the exception of one item, which is not pictured (more on that in a second):

L to R: Biore Makeup Removing Towelettes with Green Tea, Aveeno Ultra-Calming Foaming Cleanser, John Frieda Root Awakening Strength Restoring Smoothing Lotion (not pictured: Schick Hydro 5 Blade Razor)

I gave the Schick Hydro to my little brother as an early Father's Day gift, and I actually got that for free (which I was all too proud to explain to him, of course. I love watching his eyes glaze over as I explain my "process"). In case you're curious about how I got it for free, there was a $5 coupon in last Sunday's paper for the Schick Hydro, and this week CVS has it on sale for $8.99 with 4 Extra Bucks. So when all is said and done, it's free.

As for the other goodies, well I had been wanting to try that Aveeno cleanser ever since I saw Aquaheart's review of it. So even though it's on sale this week at CVS for just $1 less than the regular retail price ($6.99 instead of $7.99), I had 2 extra bucks in my wallet from when I bought my Maybelline The Falsies Mascara last week, which cut the cost down even more.

John Freida, Biore and Jergens products are on sale this week at CVS, and when you buy $10 worth of products from these brands, you get 3 extra bucks. So I got the John Frieda product for $5 (retail: $6.99), and the Biore towelettes for $6 (retail: $7.99). But then I also had a $3 John Frieda Root Awakening coupon from the newspaper, and the Biore Towelettes had an instant "Save $1 Now" coupon attached to them, PLUS, I had those 2 Extra Bucks from my previous Maybelline purchase. So that brought my total down to $5 for both items.

So how did I get my grand total down to $4.99? Easy! I purchased the John Frieda, Biore and Schick Hyrdo products in one transaction, using my $1 Biore coupon, my $3 John Frida coupon, and my 2 Extra Bucks from my previous Maybelline purchase. After I bought these items, I got the 4 Extra Bucks from the Schick Hydro and the 3 Extra Bucks my Biore/John Frieda purchases. So I used those to pay for the Aveeno Foaming Cleanser, which, remember, is on sale this week for what? $6.99!

So when all was said and done, I paid a grand total of $4.99 for all three products (plus the Schick Hydro Razor).

Now, I want to tell you that I did NOT have this planned out in my head when I walked into CVS. Unlike a lot of people who are much more savvy, I kind of wing it and make my trips to the drugstore an adventure. Sure, there are things I pay attention to in the weekly circulars (like that Hydro deal) but other times, I like to walk down the aisles and discover the Extra Bucks deals and then go through my coupon bag and see if I have anything I can pair it with. It's a challenge to get the best deal, and I will not stop until I can get the products I need/want for the least amount possible!

Hope you enjoyed this post, and I will definitely be reviewing everything in the above pic, so please check back later for those reviews if you'd like to see them.

In the meantime, I'd love to know YOUR coupon/sale process. Are you more methodical about clipping coupons and studying the weekly circulars, or do you like to figure it all out once you're in the store?
SHARE:

11 comments

  1. lol! Yeah I keep getting godiva coupons and godiva is my favorite chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. all my favorite cleansers...Great deals I like to figure out my process before going to the store with the circular...I think CVS is one of the best stores around i think i go thier at least once a week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've really been into the whole coupon thing since summer started. In just the last few weeks, I've gotten so many items so free - it's great!!

    The Shick Hydro deal was SOOO good and coupon bloggers were talking about it like crazy! But, that $5/1 coupon wasn't in the inserts in upstate SC so sadly, we had to miss out.

    Congratulations for the deal though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The card scanner was out of service when I went to CVS yesterday! So sad. And there wasn't a Schick coupon in our paper, either -- the spouse and I both use that brand, so I'm always on the lookout for coupons.

    When it comes to coupons (and I apologise in advance for the length at which I'm about to go on!), I have certain things I watch for to match up with the store ads every week and some that I don't. Our nearest Target store is clearance heaven, so I tend to hoard certain coupons (bath/body; household; pet) to use on top of their clearance prices. I saved $30 there yesterday by combining Target coupons and manufacturer's coupons!

    My coupon organizer (just a little envelope-size thing with pockets) is divided into sections based on the type of coupon and how soon I should use it. Close-to-expiring ones are at the front, and I check the weekly store ads to find the best place to use them. Behind them are coupons that are relevant to this week's sales promotions. Other than that, it's more just me stumbling across something and thinking 'Ooh, I have a coupon! That will be both cheap and useful!', prompting the spouse to say he's going to put 'Hold on, I think I have a coupon' on my gravestone when I die.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i def like to go through circulars and plan my purchases..cvs is a little easier to just go in and wing it..but walgreens is a pain because of how register rewards have to be used... ps i LOVE the biore towelletes !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish they had these types of promotions in canadian drugstores! i lovee chocolate!

    roxy

    Join my giveaway: http://roxybeautyblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girl, you are seriously the coupon queen.. it's amazing! You've def inspired me to hang on to all the little coupons I get from my CVS card!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm very methodical, hahaha. Or... IDK, I guess I'm more methodical about the coupons I clip?? I'm trying to cut back, so I'm aiming to make lists and stick with them. After that, I watch out for coupons and sales.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could really use a coupon bag like the one you use! I go through the ads and check some of the deals sites, and organize my coupons by store. When I go to RiteAid I try to take advantage of the $5 off $20 Video Values coupon or the $5 off $25 coupons that have been available lately, and combine that with other store/manufacturer's coupons and rebates to maximize the savings. When my total is a few dollars under that target total, I wander the beauty section to find something to add - that's pretty easy!

    I got the CVS Godiva coupon too - I might just have to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always look at the circulars to see what's going on in the upcoming week and pair it with the coupons with all the smartsource/redplums/p&g booklets I have saved up. I also read coupon forums and coupon blogs to see what other people do. It's soo much fun and my stockpile has grown so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bought some of the Root Awakening stuff last week - it's nice stuff. Smells really fresh. Be good to hear what you think about it!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig