Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, May 3, 2010

How do I store my coupons?

You'd think that someone who calls herself "Recessionista" would have a pretty fancy way of keeping coupons organized, right? Well you are so wrong! I have dreamed about owning one of those fancy accordion-style contraptions that has multiple sections for each coupon category (food, cosmetics, etc) but the truth is, I'm pretty low-tech when it comes to how I keep my coupons.

A while back, I found a really cute little makeup bag at my local Japanese dollar store. I initially purchased it to hold my feminine products (it's the perfect size for those types of things) because, well, I'll come clean and tell you I'm really lame when it comes to keeping feminine products in my purse. I can't count how many tampons I've wasted because I was in a hurry, threw a few in my purse, only to dig them out a few months later with wrappers tattered or totally destroyed. So anyway, I bought this bag thinking I was going to use it to keep my feminine products nice and pristine, however the bag had other ideas and eventually became my coupon holder:


If you've never been to a Japanese dollar store, a lot of the items have cute sayings printed on them. Sometimes the sentiment gets lost in translation, but this one makes perfect sense. It always makes me smile when I see it:

Let's have a happy time every day.

Wanna see inside?


So the challenge with this bag was that, after a while, all of my coupons would get mixed together and I'd find myself having to go through every single coupon to find the one I was looking for. Luckily, Mr. R came up with a great DIY idea. I used an old file folder and it cut it down into strips that fit inside the bag. The paper used to make file folders is sturdy enough to use as separators, but it's not so thick that it adds a lot of extra bulk to the bag. To jazz it up a bit, I covered each strip of file folder with some leftover vinyl cabinet liner paper (pink gingham design) and presto! Coupon separators!


Now I've got sections for cosmetics, bath and body products, food and household items. Yay!


It is SO much easier to find exactly what I'm looking for now that I've got these little separators to keep everything neat and tidy.

I also am trying to make it a habit to go through my coupon bag every Sunday and toss out all my expired coupons, and also pull the coupons that are about to expire and move them to the front of the bag just to remind myself that I either need to find a way to use them, or toss them to make room for new ones.

I hope this post has inspired you to create your own coupon organizing system. It literally can cost pennies to do this, and the rewards are tenfold. If you use a bag that fits easily into your purse, you'll never be without your coupons again!

If you've already got your own system, I would LOVE to hear all about it. Please leave a comment on this post and let us know how you work your coupon magic!
SHARE:

18 comments

  1. That is cute. I wish that store was here. I need something like that. I end up forgeting my coupons and leaving them at home. What nail polish are you wearing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My coupon bag isn't so glamourous either! Your nail polish is gorgeous; what color is it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an adorable bag! The whole non separating thing would have had me frustrated and I'm not sure I would have thought up the separator thing by myself.
    At Target in their dollar section they had those small accordion folders made of plastic and I had to get one, especially since it was only a dollar. It already had the separators and even little stickers to label the tabs.
    Each week when I clip my new coupons I usually go through and take out the old ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have my coupon organizer in this video.. it's pretty bulky but if i carry a tote or larger purse, it fits right in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs7yI7oGoXo

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh man, so timely. i was just saying to my mother that i need to start organizing my coupons so that they're with me but don't add to my 15-lb purse. i don't clip half as many as she does but better to start a habit of organizing them now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. System???? A quart sized, clear, plastic, zip lock bag. Then I stuff it in my purse.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just did this yesterday. I picked up the Sunday paper, and since I am a coupon cutting newbie, I have no system! So in my little purse notebook that I keep my coupons in, I separated them by food/cosmetics, etc and checked to see which ones were expiring! Thats all the "system" I have for now. LOL By the way, did you see that $4 off Nivea body wash coupon?! Jackpot! I went to my local grocery store and picked up some Nivea body wash for .49 cents plus tax! I am hooked on this "couponing"!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww that's so cute! :D How nice to have enough coupons to afford their own little bag!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a dream coupon organizer that I saw a lady used in store. It's about the size of a notebook, with different compartments, each with a labelled tab. So there're food, cosmetics, baby, etc. Very impressive :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a newbie to couponing too and i'm still figuring out how to store them (i've acquired many since i started a few weeks ago, it's quite addicting). I really like how you do it, so off to find a purse that fits them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. daiso?
    ahh i should've went there today! i was at tapioca express too, right down the street (kinda) :) i havent gone to marukai/daiso for a while. is the living store any good to check out? i havent gone in that one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, your system is really cute and pretty "green" at the same time! :) I'm not as organized as you. Right now, any coupons I have are haphazardly tossed into a small zippered pocket in my purse. I find expired coupons in here all the time. :/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that little bag! And I am one of those people with the accordion-style folders with separate sections, but yours is so much cuter!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, my couponing system works really well...when I work it. Othertimes, I'll let a pile of coupons stagnate (like several whole RedPlum inserts), then have to play catch-up in the car outside the store-LOL. =) So, I have a little canvas tote bag with an accordion coupon-filer thing ( I bought at Walgreens in the office-supply aisle). I toss each RedPlum coupon insert in the tote,along with blunt-tip scissors, the accordian thingie, and a rolled up plastic bag. Whenever I have some down-time (waiting in the car between lessons, I'm a private music teacher), I'll start clipping and sorting. I'll put all the unwanted bits of paper in the plastic bag, and dump them in the recycle bin when I get home. Having the bag, the scissors, the file, and the tote makes keeping everything together a no-brainer, and I just keep the tote in my trunk, so the coupons are always avaiable when I drop by my fave drugstore for impusle m/u purchases, etc. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  16. lol, typos...sorry 'bout that. Also, I realized after posting that it sounded like the accordion-file and tote bag came together; they didn't. The file I bought at Walgreens. The little canvas tote was purchased elsewhere, and just laying around the house. I know I've saved around a thousand dollars in the eight years I've been doing this, and I'm only 30! =) Really work sales, too. I only recently discovered that Wags and CVS have sale trends, and that websites out there give a heads-up on what will be on sale. Recessionista, you and other posters who follow you have really taught me so much. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Melody: Awww, I'm sorry you don't have a Japanese dollar store in your area. :( I'm wearing a new polish that I'm about to review today, so please check back! :)

    PCS: You will see in just a few minutes. :) xo

    Coral How did I miss those accordion wallets at Target? I am the queen of scoping that dollar section! Thanks for the heads-up! :)

    Rache: WOW WOW WOW! I just watched your vid and it is soooo inspiring! You go, girl!! I love your system and you are SO on top of it! :)

    beautifulmonday: Yay! I hope I inspired you to get a cute little bag and make it work for you! This bag is actually so small in real life, but it fits my needs and, most importantly, it doesn't add any extra bulk to my purse (it's roughly the size and thickness of say, two travel-size kleenex packages). I can't wait to hear what you come up with for your system!

    thedogismine: lol! Hey, whatever works for you is awesome!! The point is just to HAVE the coupons and use them, right? :)

    adorepink: Yay! A fellow newbie! It sounds like you are already on top of it--great job! And yes, I'm going to be posting about that Nivea deal today! Yay!! Which scent did you get??

    Lillian: Thank, honey! Yes, it's nice to have a big stash to choose from, definitely. :)

    El blog: Yay!!! I'm so glad you're getting into the whole coupon thing too! It's totally addicting, I agree. You should take a trip to your local dollar store and see if you can find a cute little makeup bag! :)

    ellenbaby: Yes, I love Daiso! And I love Tapioca Express too! lol. :) I did a post a while ago about my shopping trip to Daiso and Marukai--there is a GREAT version of L'Oreal's Scrublet at Marukai Living, which I highly recommend! It's pink and it doesn't come with a cleanser like the L'Oreal product, but you can just use it with your regular cleanser. It's about 5 bucks and it totally rocks. I'm going to actually do a follow-up review on it, so please check back if you need more details! :)

    K.Lo: Awwww, thank you, honey!! I hope I inspired you to do it too--I hate it when I find expired coupons because it always feels like such a waste. Get yourself a cute bag at the dollar store! :)

    Gloria: Thank you, sweetie! I am so jealous that you have one of those fancy accordion-style wallets! Ahhh, I can dream. lol. :)

    JAMMac: First of all, how cool is it that you're a private music instructor?? Second, I LOVE your system! It is totally inspiring! I think it's brilliant to keep all your coupon "tools" all in once place, and then to have it in the trunk of your car is even more handy! You will literally never be without your coupons when you need 'em! Love that. AND you're still managing to be environmentally conscious by keeping your scraps together for future recycling. That ROCKS! And I am so glad you've found this blog to be inspiring. Believe me, we are ALL inspiring each other here. That's the true beauty of this. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Halifax: Ooops! I published my comment and then immediately realized I hadn't responded to you! Sorry, honey. That coupon wallet sounds extremely impressive! I am jealous of that woman I don't even know her! lol.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig