Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Review: Maybelline Cinnamon Spice Eyeshadow (New Formula)

A little while ago I snagged this Maybelline shadow for $1 (retail: $3.49 at CVS) by using coupons and taking advantage of a 40% off Maybelline sale that was going on at CVS (if you ever find coupons for drugstore brands, I can't stress it enough--wait for a good sale and make the most of that coupon!).

The reason I purchased this eyeshadow was because the label indicates that it's a "New Formula". Honestly, I have never been impressed with the regular Maybelline eyeshadow singles. In my past experiences, I've found them chalky and not very pigmented. So I was excited to try this new formula to see how much they have improved.

Maybelline Expert Wear Eye Shadow, Cinnamon Spice


The first thing I was drawn to about this product was the color. I am such a sucker for medium-range bronzy-browns, because not only do they make excellent crease shades, but they work like magic when you're in a hurry as an all-over wash from lash-line to crease, and then blended out just above the crease. Wearing a shade like this on my eyes is a daily go-to look for me, so I just can never have enough of them in my beauty arsenal.

When I applied this shadow, the first thing I noticed was that the formula IS much smoother. The powder seems more finely milled now (not chalky at all) and it applies much smoother than what I remember from the past. I was able to apply this shadow to my lids and crease and blend it out easily and quickly. There is a little bit of sparkle to this color which did produce a bit of fallout, but I owe that more to the fact that I was applying this in a hurry and not really taking my time with it.

That said, here are some pics of Cinnamon Spice on my eyes:




The pigmentation is good (not great), but for a soft, natural look, I think it's quite lovely. I didn't experience any creasing with this shadow, and the staying power wasn't too bad (I think I wore this shadow for about 5 hours before I started to notice fading, and I did NOT use a primer beforehand).

All in all, I think that the new formula of these shadows is a marked improvement over the old formula. If you see a color that catches your eye, and you spot these on sale, I say give 'em a try.
Oh, and I also wanted to mention that when I first applied this shadow, I immediately thought, "This looks exactly like my Rimmel Glam'eyes Spicy Bronze shadow!" (Click here if you missed my Glam'eyes review):


Just looking at these shadows side-by-side, they do look a lot a like, right?

L: Rimmel Spicy Bronze, R: Maybelline Cinnamon Spice

But as you can see when you swatch them, the Rimmel is more of a true bronze, while the Maybelline is more of a bronzy-brown. But since they're still quite similar, I'd say that if you have one, you probably don't need the other. Also, I find the Rimmel shadow to be more pigmented, but it also has more sparkle (and more potential for fallout).

Do you own any of the newly formulated Maybelline Expert Wear Eye Shadow singles? I'd love to hear what you think of them!
SHARE:

15 comments

  1. I own soooo many of the Maybelline quads, and I love them! But I've never tried any shadows from them besides the quads, and looking at this single makes me curious to branch out! =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. wingsinheaven5: I think you should try a single the next time you see a sale! Just be sure that you see the "New Formula" sticker on the package. Keep me posted? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness your peepers are gorgeous! Especially in those bronzy colors; no wonder you wear them so much! I have one maybelline new formula expert wear quad, but I've never tried the singles. I don't think Maybelline does eye shadow nearly as well as Revlon, Wet 'n Wild, Jane, and the new Rimmel shadows, but if I see a color I like that I can't find elsewhere I just might check it out! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree that Maybelline shadows have improved greatly :) I a lot of the palettes and one singles... really just enjoy them all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the review and the swatch, it looks lovely on you. I'll look out for this locally. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the swatches, as I've been really disappointed with Maybelline's eyeshadows so far. This one might be worth it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG you have the most beautiful eyes ever!! I love how the eyeshadow complements them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL - my first thought when I read "I am such a sucker for medium-range bronzy-browns" was "I wonder if she's tried the new Rimmel one?" Then I scrolled down and saw the comparison swatch/pic! :-) Went and read your review - both the Maybelline and the Rimmel look great on you!

    P.S. You should try the lavender Rimmel one, if you haven't yet! It's such a pretty springy shade and would look lovely with your eye color!

    ReplyDelete
  9. PCS: Thank you so much, honey! *blushes* And I agree--there are some other new drugstore brands that are really stepping it up a notch with their new eyeshadow formulas, but I do have to say that this one is a GREAT improvement over the old eyeshadow singles. I'd love to know what you think of them if you try one. :)

    ndoodles: Yay! So glad these are working for you, sweetie. :)

    jo: Thank you so much!! I'd love to see a review if/when you try one. :)

    Gaby: You are so welcome, honey! I'd love to see your review if you get one! :D

    Kitty: You are TOO kind! Thank you so very much for that. And yes, it took me decades to finally figure out which shades work best for me, but now that I know, rarely steer away from them. lol!

    JenJen: Oh that is too funny!! Yep, I really love that Rimmel shade. :) And I would try that Lavender shade too, but sadly, lavenders and purples look horrid on me. I've tried and tried and I've yet to find one that works for my skintone. :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this shade! I actually saw this for $1 something at Big Lots last week-ish. I should go back to get it.

    There was tons of Maybelline products for $1.25.
    I even found some L'Oreal HIP Bronzers I never seen before.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rai: Wow, that's a great deal!! And did they say "New Formula" on the front?? I am definitely going to have to take a trip to my Big Lots and see what I can find. Thanks so much for the heads-up, sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  13. YAY, your blog is mysteriously not blocked today! And I can see the pics! This is truly a cause for celebration. :-P (Darn work internet, blocking everything I wanna look at!)

    Anyway, I've always found Maybelline eyeshadows to be rather sucky, too. I have a couple of their quads and a duo, but the pigmentation in them is so low I have to apply it with a trowel to see anything. So I'm glad they redid their formula! Maybe Maybelline is listening. :-D

    And can I say again you have the cutest eyes, and you do not look your age at all? I'm serious! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. femputer!!! I missed you, honey!! OMG, you are too, too kind! Thank you so much--I really FEEL my age today, I'll tell ya that much. lol!! So nice to have you back...don't be such a stranger, ok? And YAY that my site wasn't blocked for you! :D xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. That bronzy color is awesome. And I am totally jealous of your eyebrow shape. Hey, how about a tut on getting great brow shaping and what to do if you have no arches, but slashes? (alas...sigh...)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig