Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, February 18, 2010

Review: New Rimmel Glam'eyes Eye Shadow Singles

When I posted this pic of the new Rimmel Glam'eyes Eye Shadow display that I spotted at CVS recently, it quickly became one of my most downloaded pics of the past month. So I figured that since many of you seem to be curious about these new shadows, I should pick one up and give it a whirl!

Rimmel Glam'eyes Eye Shadow (retail: $3.99 at CVS)

I'm really hoping that the color selection increases when these are put into the permanent Rimmel display, but for now we've got just six shades to choose from. If you're a loyal reader of this blog, I'll give you three guesses as to which one I bought at CVS...

Spicy Bronze

Did you guess correctly? LOL! Here are some shots with and without flash:



If you think this looks like a boring mid-range brown, you would be mistaken! Ladies, this is a true beauty of a bronzy-brown and I'm hard-pressed to find a shade in my already-enormous brown eyeshadow collection that comes close to it. It's rich, it's deep, it's warm, it's shimmery and it's got a few surprises to it!

I tried my best to swatch this on my hand but, as usual, my camera can't really pick up glitter or shimmer that well. Here are some pics in different types of lighting so you can see how this color sort of changes depending on the angle:

First of all, this shade has a touch of gold micro-glitter to it! But rest assured, if you're not a glitter girl, it's not a dense glitter--it's pretty sparse and just adds a little extra sparkle to this shadow.

In this pic (which is making the color seem WAY lighter than it actually is) I tried to capture the almost duochrome effect of this color when you see it in certain types of lighting. If you look toward the top of the image, you can see that there's sort of a subtle pink flash to this bronzy-brown that gives it much more depth than your average brown shimmer eyeshadow.

In this pic I think you can see the gold micro-glitter a bit more...notice how it's not too dense and it really just gives this shade a bit of an extra sparkle.

Surprisingly, I was able to best capture the true color on this shadow when I took pics of my eyes:




Let me just say that, in person, this bronzy-brown shadow is a showstopper. If you generally gravitate toward warm browns, I'd say this is a must-have. It's just so rich and velvety on the eye--I didn't wear any other eyeshadows when I took these pics--this is just Spicy Bronze applied to the lid and then blended up into the crease. This is a PERFECT shade to own if you're like me and sometimes need a one-color-and-I'm-out-the-door shadow that's not dark yet not so light that you can't wear it alone. Do you know what I mean? Sometimes I think I look funky if I use a light color as an all-over wash because, well, it washes me out. And if the color is too dark, and I'm using it all over my lid and crease, it just seems a bit much for a daytime look. Well, Spicy Bronze definitely straddles the line and in my opinion, it's neither too dark nor too light. It's one-color-wash perfection!

Also, Rimmel wasn't lying when they said these were crease-resistant and easily blendable. MY GOODNESS! I think 2010 is the year of the drugstore eyeshadow! Between Wet n Wild, Revlon, and now Rimmel, I feel that I have absolutely no need to even look in the direction of high-end eyehshadows again. This new Rimmel formula is leaps and bounds above their old formula. This shadow applies soooo smoothly it's unbelievable (warning: do not use the sponge-tip applicator though, because for me, it made the shadow crumble. Definitely use an eyeshadow brush--it applies like a dream with a brush).

Aside from the fabulous, smooth, buttery texture of this shadow, let me just say that the staying power was INCREDIBLE. As I always do when testing a new eyeshadow, I have been wearing this without a primer all week and I am constantly amazed that, by the end of the day, my shadow is still vivid, flawless, and NO CREASING! We've been having unseasonably warm weather in San Diego this week (in the lower 80s) and so I was fully expecting this baby to crease by the end of the day. But no. It goes on perfectly and stays on perfectly for me, all darn day.
All in all, I simply cannot find one bad thing about these new Rimmel Glam'eyes shadows. I'm thoroughly impressed and I give Spicy Bronze a huge thumbs up with 5 flowing stars.

Have you tried any of the new Glam'eyes shadows yet? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

SHARE:

23 comments

  1. (Which Revlon shadows are you referring to, by-the-bye?)
    I'm impressed at your dedication in testing new eyeshadows sans primer or base. (I do that too but only for 2 days max, not a whole week! But it's far more temperate here.)

    btw random query: have you had luck using the hiP paints as a base? the one is exactly my skin colour so i have been using it to anchor some pigments, with decent results, but i feel like i could use it better....

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a beautiful color! Are you familiar with MAC's woodwinked? The pics look like it could be a dupe but I'd have to swatch it and compare to really tell. Thanks for the post! I already tried the new Wet and Wild shadows (after seeing your blog post). Love it! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this post! I have been wondering about these for a while, and there were no reviews on MUA, but typically, Rimmel eye shadows have not gotten glowing recommendations. Glad to hear they have improved - now must wait for a sale! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautifulmonday: Oh, the Revlon shadows I'm referring to are the new singles--my review is the first little box in that grid on the upper right hand side of this page, where I feature all of my newest product reviews. Just click on it to go directly to the review! Also, can you believe I haven't used those HiP paints yet? lol. I have it on my to-do list and will let you know how they work as a primer for me as soon as I get to them. I'm so lame for not trying them yet! lol. ;)

    Susie: I'm embarrassed to say this but I don't know if I own Woodwinked! lol. I have several bronzy brownish shades from MAC but after a depotting experiment gone bad, I destroyed the names on the back of a lot of my MAC shadows so I actually don't know if I own it! I'll have to go through and see if I can find any close dupes of this shade and if I do, I'll post them for sure. And I'm SO glad you are liking the WnW shadows!! Yay!! They're truly awesome. :)

    chickadee: Wow! I can't believe there are no reviews up yet on MUA for these! I actually try to stay away from MUA reviews now (not because I don't love reading them) but because I don't want other people's opinions to cloud my judgment when I'm testing something for this blog. If I read something good or bad in a review, it kind of sticks in my head, and I really want to try and be as objective as possible when I review something. Does that make sense? lol. Anyway, I'm so glad I could help you determine whether or not you think these might work for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. R: ah, i now see why I was confused- the Revlon singles and the Rimmel singles have rather similar packaging! (practical, black, boring, square, lol). i did re-read the review just to brush up on the differences though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautifulmonday: No worries, honey! Glad I could help, and wow, the packaging IS very similar! That never even occurred to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!! That eyeshadow looks great on you! Now I REALLY want to pick up the white one after hearing that these are smooth AND long-lasting! Thanks for the heads up, R!

    I can't believe you're having warm weather in San Diego! I'm wearing a thick jacket because it's freezing up here in Berkeley right now... >.< I can't wait for sunny days and warm breezes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rita: I didn't know you were in Berkeley! I used to live in the bay area back in the early 90s! Oh how I miss my Noah's Bagels. lol! Anyway, I'm so glad you found this review helpful--I would LOVE to know what you think of the white shade if you get it! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guessed brown first before scrolling and I was right lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. colormepinkenblue: LOL!!! Now you are definitely a loyal reader if you did that! :D xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. First of all, Noah's Bagels FTW! I used to live near one when the boy and I lived in Pasadena. I miss Noahs's.

    I love the color; it looks great on you. My CVS doesn't have the new Rimmel stuff yet. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  12. dangerkitty: OK, just *how* many things can we have in common?? I love it! :D And thanks for the kind words about this color--I can't wait for these to be available in your area because I really think you're going to love 'em! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay for the Bay Area! Lol, I'm not a huge fan of bagels, but I do LOVE Yogurtland. After moving here from Oakland, I visited this place like it was my second home! It's definitely the best self-serve frozen yogurt place around. Plus, it has less calories than regular ice cream! They only charge 30 cents per ounce and they have soo many different toppings!! I love piling mochi and strawberries on top of their Chocolate Twilight flavor!

    I think they have Yogurtland in San Diego too... Have you tried it?? =D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow the price is not bad at all. and the shadow seem perfect. love the press design on the shadows

    ReplyDelete
  15. Must get this. Immediately.

    Dirty enabler ;-)

    (gotta agree, though -- the Revlon ... the WnW ... now these ... I'm in d/s heaven)

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL @ the infamous Kate Moss display photo!

    I absolutely LOVE this color; the pigmentation seems wonderful as well! Warm browns are my FAVORITE eyeshadows next to variations on blacks.

    This would be on my purchase list, but I've already loaded up on all the NYX Ultimate Pearl Eyeshadows during the NYX $1 sale a few weeks ago. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rita: OMG, I looooove Yogurtland! Of all the yogurt places here in SD (and believe me, there seem to be two on every block lately) Yogurtland is my fave! And I am *obsessed* with mochi too! I am TOTALLY going to try mixing it with strawberries on chocolate yogurt next time. OMG, that sounds like a winning combo!! :)

    ngocupham: I agree! The price isn't too bad at all, especially since you get a lot of shadow. Can't wait to see what you think of these! :)

    LipstickChick: LOL!!!! Sorry...but it had to be done. :p And of course you must tell me--you are required to tell me--what you think of these when you get some. :) xo

    libbeh: LOL!! I know! I'm getting sick of looking at her mug, I tell you! :) I understand about not wanting to get one since you just made a big haul, but I have a feeling they won't be going anywhere so someday, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Beda! Oooooh, I can't wait for you to try and review these! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks great! I've added it to the wish list I just started to help me remember what to look for when there's a sale. What did you use for the eyeliner?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Susie! I can't wait to hear what you think of this when you get it! Also, the liner I'm using is my beloved automatic pencil from Styli-Style. You can check out the review here:

    http://nouveaucheap.blogspot.com/2009/07/review-new-styli-style-24-hour-power.html

    Hope that helps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. the look is Rockin' on you!! Here's another DS eye product I'm lemming after my no-buy for Lent (trying really hard to be good, heh :)
    (eyeing hard the WnW new shadows, the Physicians Formula Gel Creamliner Trio, and the Maybelline EyeStudio products. . . . )

    One-wash colors are LOVE & super easy, esp. for work or school. Thanks again for an excellent, Enabling rec!!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig