Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, January 10, 2010

Review: New Wet n Wild MegaLast Lipstick and Nail Color (and pics of the new ColorIcon quads!)

If you're a fan of this blog, then you know that I'm probably one of Wet n Wild's biggest fans. I've been a loyal user of WnW products for over twenty years now and I am always SO excited when they launch new collections.

I had been hearing about the new nail polishes and eyeshadow palettes for a few weeks now, so I was freaking out when I spotted this display at my local Rite Aid last week:



MegaLast is a collection of lip and nail colors that are long-wear and, as with all things WnW, super affordable ($2.99 for the lipcolor and $1.99 for the nail color).

The first thing I noticed about this collection is that almost all of the colors are pretty classic and safe-for-work (reds, nudes, pinks and purples), which is always nice. But I did notice that there is one VERY dark purple lipstick which I'm curious about because, if it goes on as dark as it looks, it might rival something from the MAC Style Black Collection. If any of you have this shade, please leave a comment--I'd love to hear about this one!

The next thing I noticed was the sleek packaging. Let's take a look at the lipstick first:


Wet n Wild MegaLast Lip Color "906D Wine Room"




with flash


without flash

If you're a fan of this blog, then you know I always gravitate toward the soft pinky-brownish-rose shades in any lipstick collection, so that's why I purchased Wine Room. I also love cremes, so this one looked right up my alley (from what I could remember, I don't think there were any shimmers in this lip collection but I could be wrong).

One of the first things that attracted me to this lipstick was the unique shape of the actual product. I kind of like how the product itself is not shaped like a regular lipstick, which usually has a pointy tip, but more like a lip balm or tint (a flat, angled tip).

So how does Wine Room look on?



Ladies, the pigmentation of this lipstick is superb! One swipe on your lips and it's completely opaque! And just as the display states, this lip color really is "long lasting", "petal-soft" and has a "matte finish". Oh I am just jumping for joy that my beloved matte lipsticks are coming back around in style this year!

As for the moisturization, I was fearful that because of the thickness of the texture (it's very creamy), the long-wear properties, and the matte finish, this lipstick would dry out my lips in no time. I was VERY pleasantly surprised to find that it's not drying in the slightest, and it definitely doesn't fit the characteristics of your typical long-wear lipstick (heavy, drying, prone to caking).

I do want to tell you that when I first applied Wine Room, it did not glide across my lips in that feather-light effortless way that sheer lipsticks tend to do. This lipstick is on the thick and creamy side, but once you put it on, you'll noticed that it's different than other thick and creamy lipsticks. When you rub your lips together, it's got almost a balm-like feel to it. It's hard to explain, but it makes your lips feel coated in a very nice way, and it doesn't feel heavy--just moisturizing. So far this formula is amazing for me because the color lasts....and lasts...and lasts without drying or caking. Who can ask for anything more?

I also want to add that this lipstick has no fragrance or flavor. Just creamy, matte, long-wear goodness! I'm loving it and I definitely think you should check it out if you're a creme/matte lipstick lover.

Next up, I also purchased a MegaLast Nail Color:


Wet n Wild MegaLast Nail Color "217 Disturbia"

Disturbia is one of those pesky little purples that is so gorgeous in real life but impossible for me to capture in a photo. It's a deep amethyst purpley-plum with a super subtle, baby-fine touch of pink and violet shimmer running through it. It's just enough shimmer to give it that lit-from-within quality that I love.

Here's a pic of a very quick mani I did with Disturbia a few days ago (pre-cleanup):



I'm wearing two coats in this pic with Orly Bonder base coat and Sally Hansen Mega Shine top coat. It's really hard to see in this pic but when you're in full sunlight the shimmer comes out a bit more and really adds to the richness and depth of this shade. It's one of those chameleon shades that can change depending on the lighting. Sometimes it looks dark and vampy, other times it reminds me of a fresh plum, while at other times it's got a royal purple feel to it. If you're a purple fan, I think you're going to love it.

Also, I want to talk to you about the brush! For those of you who have issues with Sally Hansen's Insta-Dri and Complete Salon Manicure brushes (flat, wide and firm), I am VERY excited to tell you that the WnW MegaLast brush is like a petite version of the Sally Hansen brush. YAY for me, because I find the Sally Hansen brushes big and hard to maneuver on my nail bed. But the MegaLast brush? It's perfect if you, too, find the SH brush too big to work with (WnW, did you make this brush just for me? lol!).

Check it out:


Top: SH Complete Salon Manicure brush
Bottom: WnW MegaLast brush


Front view


Side view

I also want to report that I'm going on day three of this mani and I've got minimal tip-wear and no chips so far. Yay!

And before I forget, I want to show you some pics of the new Wet n Wild eyeshadow palettes, in case you haven't seen them yet:


Wet n Wild ColorIcon Eyeshadow Palettes

[UPDATE: Literally right after I posted this review, I looked at my blogroll to discover that Yummy411 just posted a review of these quads about 30 minutes before I posted mine! And, as always, she's got much better in-store pics than I do! So if you want to see her terrific review of ColorIcon, just click here.]

These lovely little 6-pan eyeshadow palettes retail for $4.99 each and I spotted them at the same Rite Aid that had the MegaLast display. As you can see, there are four different palettes:



According to the display, these are "longwearing", "crease-resistant" and have "stay-true color". I am SO excited to try one of these I can hardly stand it. Here are the colors that are available:


From left to right: Vanity, Lust, Pride, Greed

What you cannot see in this pic is that each of these palettes has one shade that is crazy shimmery and gorgeous. In the "Lust" palette there is a smokey plummish purple shade that has red microglitter and looks unbelievable gorgeous in the pan. I neeeed this, especially since I'm always trying to find the perfect shade of plum to work with my skin coloring. Also, in the "Greed" palette there is a gorgeous little taupe minx that I am really anxious to get my hands on. So please stay tuned because I will get this collection for review as soon as I can!

So what do you think about these newest offerings from Wet n Wild? Do you already own anything? Do you have your eye on anything in particular? I'd love to hear your thoughts!
SHARE:

16 comments

  1. Ooooh girl! Your lips look divine! Love that color on you :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that shade of nail polish...Maybe I should start looking for those as well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks great, and such a cheap price..YES!

    ...definitely awaiting the review on the eyeshadows!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love that shade of nail polish and i want to try those palettes, especially the lust one. is rite aid the only store carrying these?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that WnW is so cheap that you usually don't have to think twice before getting anything. I really want them to release new face colors - blush/bronzers because they rock at those too! But I'm so excited about the eyeshadows. I have 2 palettes from WnW and they are quite pleasant surprises! So excited to see WnW doing new things :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Rec!I love the way you do your manicures!Please consider a full post on this-your nails look fabulous!!!Love the color,also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both the lipstick and nail polish look great. I really would like you to review the eyeshadows. WnW is doing some really good collections these days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. omg so funny. great minds think alike right? i'm not surprised though because you are on top of the new releases ;) thanks for the link love. i'm linking you back since you reviewed what i didn't.. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh! for that sparkly purple/black in the lust palette, it looks like it might be another dupe for MAC's beauty marked and hip's sculpted duo half- http://yummy411.blogspot.com/2009/11/sculpted-beauty-mark.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been on the lookout for a good all-purpose shadow palette for travel, but I don't want to spend a lot of money. These WnW palettes look like they could fit the bill!

    Did you happen to see if all of the shades are shimmery? I'm looking for a palette that includes at least one matte shade.

    Thanks for reporting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I friggin love your blog, you always let me know the goodies...Adding it to my fave blog now...WnW is my fave drugstore brand. I buy their lippies like crazy and even backups thinking that one day they'll be discontinued and now they are gonna lure me in with these lippes, nail color and e/s. I can't wait for this weather to be over so I can go shopping crazy in the drugstores...lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. i'm going to have to check out that lippie collection.. i love that it's MATTE!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amber: Thank you SO much, sweetie!! You know me and those darn dusty-rose/pinky-browns. I can never say no to 'em. lol. xo

    Citrine: It's even prettier in person. You should definitely check 'em out!

    Tiff: I have VERY good news: I'm getting the eyeshadows!! Hopefully I'll have them next week, and some of their other new products too! So I will of course review them ASAP! :)

    Niki: That's the only store I've seen them at so far, but I'm SURE they will eventually hit the other stores that sell WnW. :)

    ndoodles: Your wishes will be granted, my sweet! I am super excited to confirm that they WILL be releasing new face colors. And I'll be reviewing them right here so I just ask for your patience...you won't want to miss these new products, I promise! :)

    Michelle: You are TOO kind! Thank you!! I wish I could tell you what I do, but I'm afraid I don't know myself! I just file them the best I can and I always wear base coat and top coat whenever I'm wearing a color. lol. That's about it! Oh and I occasionally buff them to smooth out the ridges. lol. :) xo

    Melody: Thank you so much! Please check back because I'm getting the eyeshadows and I will definitely review them as soon as I get 'em! :)

    yummy411: Girlie, you ROCK! Thank you so much for the dupe alert (VERY interesting!) and for the link! Great minds, indeed! xoxo

    EllenChristine: You're right--this DOES sound like a it could be a good affordable all-purpose palette for you! I did noticed that most of the shades look more on the matte or subtle shimmer side of the spectrum, with just one shade per palette that looks super shimmery/micro-glittery. Please do check back because I will be getting these palettes soon and posting reviews! :)

    rayqueenbee: lol! I am SO glad you love my blog, honey! And I think that by the time the weather settles down, there will be even MORE new WnW products in our future...and I'll be reviewing them as soon as I get them. Yay!! :)

    Christy: You are me both! I loooove me some matte lippies! lol. Glad I'm not alone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's such a beautiful purple.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I got the same lipstick you did and I really love it! I tend to put it on pretty lightly, since bright or dark colors on me (I'm quite pale) kind of scare me. XD But the formula and color are both lovely. <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. I also bought Wine Room lipstick, but it doesn't flatter me at all! I like that it stays put and that it feels nice, but the color is really not for me. Luckily I bought it at Rite Aid so I can exchange it.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig