Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, January 21, 2010

Review: New Maybelline EyeStudio products

Some of you may recall that I was beyond excited to finally see the new Maybelline EyeStudio displays at my local CVS a little while ago, so of course I had to purchase a Color Plush Eyeshadow Quad (retail: $9.99 at CVS) and Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner (retail: $9.99 at CVS) for review. Besides, there was a BOGO going on at the time at CVS so how could I resist??

I've been using both products off and on for a few weeks now so here's my review! Let's start with the quad:


Maybelline EyeStudio Color Plush Eyeshadow Quad in Irresistibly Ivy

The first thing I noticed about this gorgeous quad (and I do mean gorgeous, but then again if you're a fan of this blog you know I have a thing for bronzes and teals) is that the largest pan in the quad is the shade I'm LEAST likely to use on a regular basis. I mentioned this before, but I've got to say, the lightest shade in any quad is the one that gets the least amount of action for me, so I'm kind of bummed that Maybelline chose to give us more of this shade than the others. I would have loved to have gotten a larger pan of the copper shade, which I can see myself using as an all-over color when I need something quick before I head out the door.

The next thing I discovered about this quad is that the shimmery appearance of each color disappears when you swipe the product. If you look closely at the pic above, you'll see that right in the middle of the lightest shade, I swiped it with the sponge-tip applicator and the shimmery appearance is gone. Sort of a bummer. Here are some swatches:



What I found very interesting is that this quad definitely contains different textures and finishes. That kind of shocked me as I was expecting the texture and finish of each shade to be identical given how they look in the pan! The light beige is almost a straight up matte. To me, both the copper and bronze shades are nearly identical in texture to MAC frost eyeshadows. The teal is, in my opinion, a matte base loaded with very fine gold micro-glitter (but don't worry--I had no fallout with this one). So you really get more than you bargained for in this little quad, that's for sure!

Here's a quick eye look I did using all four shades (light beige from lash line to brow bone, copper on my lid, bronze in the crease and teal just in the corners of my eyes for a little pop (and of course I used the EyeStudio Gel Eyeliner, which I'm also reviewing here today):







Now I did not use an eyeshadow primer, so I'm sure things would look much more vivid if I did. Also, I went nuts with my blender blush before I snapped these photos, so I kind of removed some eyeshadow while blending (I think I need to go to over-blenders anonymous).

Funny story: I suck at doing the "pop of color" thing but I really wanted to use that teal for these photos. When my boyfriend saw me, he said:

"That looks really good, but you need to do that thing with the turquoise color."

I said, "What thing?"

And he said, "You know, smooth it out."

And I said, "Do you mean BLEND?"

And he said, "Yeah! Blend it! It looks like you just put it in the corners of your eyes and walked away."

And I said, "I DID blend it! How dare you accuse me of NOT blending! I'm a blending freak, I tell you! But this teal is a pop of color and you're not supposed to blend it out!"

So this is why, dear friends, I over-blended the shadows in these pics. :)

Anyway, my final analysis of EyeStudio Color Plush Quads: They're nice and fun to play around with. The colors blend easily (obviously!) and I was very happy with the pigmentation of three out of the four shades in this particular palette (the light beige being the weakest of the four). I love that there is a variety of textures and finishes in each quad and I can see myself reaching for the copper shade quite often when I want a quick wash of color. The staying power is decent for drugstore eyeshadow, but most of you already use primer so I don't even need to tell you that primer will help keep these shades looking great throughout the day, right? All in all, I'd wait for a BOGO and pick up a couple. They're beautiful and think you'll have fun with them.

Next we have the EyeStudio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner:




The color I purchased is Brown, which turned out to be a pretty standard, muddy, matte brown. Nothing to write home about, but it'll definitely get the job done.

What I like about this product is that it comes with a decent brush. The size of the brush isn't quite full-size but it's double the size of most brushes that come with drugstore gel liners. I'd say it's the size of a deluxe travel brush that you'd get from a high-end brand like Bobbi Brown.

One of my lovely readers told me that this particular gel liner is rumored to be the #1 selling eyeliner in Japan. While I can't confirm that, I can tell you why I think it's so popular.

First of all, the name is misleading. To me, this is much more of a creme eyeliner than a gel. When I think of gel liners, I think of a feather-light consistency and a product that literally glides across your lids. This liner has a thicker, drier consistency than other gel liners I've used, and it doesn't glide across your lids like a gel does. But for what it is, it's pretty darn good!



Here are some swatches on the back of my hand. As you can see, the first two lines were made when the brush was loaded with product (too much product) but by the third line, I was able to get the amount just right for optimum texture, appearance and staying power. Less is DEFINITELY more with this product, and like with most gel/creme liners, the thinner the layer, the better the staying power (especially if you have oily skin like me).

When I use a thin layer on my upper lid, and then just take what's remaining on my brush to line my lower lid (in other words, I do NOT dip my brush back into the pot for more liner after I've lined my upper lid), it gives me just the right amount of product to make this liner last all darn day with no running or smudging. Honestly, if I use this method, I am good to go for the rest of the day. So if you were to ask me, I'd guess that that's why this might be the #1 selling eyeliner in Japan at the moment. It truly lasts....if you apply it correctly.

But that said, I can't say this liner is perfection. If you like a razor-sharp, thin line, you might have a hard time getting one with Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner. The thickness and consistency just do not lend themselves to creating a very fine line. Also, the brush, while quite good in comparison to brushes that normally accompany drugstore gel liners, isn't as good as my beloved e.l.f. smudge brush, which I strongly recommend to any of you if you're looking for a good liner brush (scroll all the way down to my weheartthis reviews at the bottom of this page for more info). In case you're curious, here's a pic for comparison:



The top line in this pic was drawn with my e.l.f. smudge brush, while the bottom line was drawn using the brush that comes with the Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner. As you can see, the e.l.f. brush just gives a cleaner, more consistent line, and I find that I have much more control over my line when I'm using the e.l.f. brush. But of course, this picture is an extreme close-up and to the naked eye, you probably can't really tell much of a difference. But for any of you gel or creme liner connoisseurs out there, I think you know what I'm talking about!

My final analysis on Maybelline EyeStudio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner: While it's not really a gel, it can be a true workhorse in your beauty arsenal. For a no-fuss liner that has fantastic staying power (if used sparingly), it comes with a very decent brush, which makes it a pretty good value for $9.99. If you have yet to try a gel or creme eyeliner, I think this would be a very worthy investment because it's quite forgiving, not overly dramatic, and darn close to mistake-proof. If you're a gel/creme liner fanatic, I don't think you need this product, but you might still want to try it if you tend to like liners that have a drier consistency.

Oh I almost forgot! The smudge test! Here are the lines on my hand before:



And here are the same lines after I took my index finger and smudged furiously for about 10 seconds:



Pretty darn good, right? Sorry for the difference in lighting but my camera had a mind of its own and used the flash even though I turned it off.

I hope these reviews help you to better determine whether or not these products may be right for you, and of course I'd love to hear your thoughts! And please stay tuned because a very dear girlfriend of mine just sent me one of the new EyeStudio Baked Eyeshadow Singles (how sweet is she??) so I will definitely review that soon!
SHARE:

14 comments

  1. Haha funny stuff there between you and your boyfriend. I think I suck at "pop of color" too. XD

    I think the palette is gorgeous. The color reminds me of one of Urban Decay's one. Too bad these maybelline palettes haven't been released over here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha u n ur voyfriend so funny!smooth it out
    lol
    btw wow the gel liner is impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh ha ha - I love it when guys notice little things like that :D You've got him trained well ;p

    Good for you Maybelline - 2 for 2 on Nouveau Cheap. That's pretty good indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought the Mauve shaded color palette of shadow and I was sad that the shimmer went away =( Also, the dark purple, the color that I was most excited about, turned out to be a blackish with purple glitter/shimmer. I really wanted to love these, and thought they'd be great because I assume they're competing with L'Oreal's HIP line?, but it was a little "Eh". Thanks for the review! The eyeliner looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol...your boyfriend is really funny...but its great that he notices your makeup application. I love the colors of the quad and the pigmentation is great. Maybelline is stepping their game up, I wanna try baked shadows when they go on BOGO.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw that Maybelline eye shadow palette at target yesterday and said "I WANT THAT". I think I was drawn to the teal and I love anything bronze or gold. It looks gorgeous on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That palette is gorgeous... as well as the look you created. Now I want this! lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL @ you & your boyfriend.

    I haven't picked up any of the newest Maybelline products.
    But when I was in Target this week all of it was marked down to like $6.59!!!!! I started to get a palette, but the one I intended on buying was sold-out. :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. those e/s look so pretty I wanted to try them, but I suck at using up things once I buy them so I'm exercising restraint lol. I like the blue/brown combination. The eyeliner had sparked my curiosity, however I think I'll pass. I am faithfully devoted to my Loreal HIP cream liner! :P Thanks for reviewing these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm...this eyeshadow palette's colors remind me of Urban Decay's Get Baked palette. I can't wait to try the EyeStudio products out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL, love the interaction between you & the boy ;-) "How DARE you?!" lol ... classic!

    I tried one of the new Maybelline quads ... Sunset something or other? (Excuse my inability to recall names well!) I ended up returning it, because, while it is just stunning in the pan, it just wasn't worth my $10 for products that just appeared "meh" when on. As you noted, the sparkle/shimmer just blends on out once applied, so in the end, it looked like some of my other Maybelline quads that perform just as well :-/

    But it does allow you to try on unusual colors that might compete with higher end lines, just to sample the shade before perhaps committing to a more expensive product :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fifi: I am so glad I'm not alone with not mastering the "pop of color" technique! I feel like such a klutz whenever I try it! And I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you'll be able to find these soon. xo

    Vanilla: Glad you enjoyed reading our little conversation. lol!! And yes, I'm pretty impressed by the staying power of this liner! :)

    ndoodles: LOL!! I didn't think of that but yeah, I guess it is 2 for 2! :) And yes, I'm pretty darn lucky that my boyfriend notices stuff like my eyeshadow...you'd think he'd be immune to it since he's seen me with so many different makeup looks and colors on a daily basis, but I LOVE that he still notices and cares enough to comment. :)

    BeautyMaven: I'm so sorry the quad you got was a big let-down. That sucks! But I can totally see how that would happen. Thank goodness for me, the colors I really wanted to work out DID work out, so I'm not too bummed about the light beige and teal not being shimmers/frosts. If you return it, I hope you get something good in its place! xo

    rayqueenbee: Thank you!! Yeah, he's pretty great. :) And I would love to know what you think of these quads and baked shadows when you try them! I'll be reviewing my baked shadow next week. xo

    bianca: That is exactly what drew me to this quad as well! It HAD to be mine! lol. I'd love to know what you think if/when you get one! xo

    Mz. More: You are too kind! Thank you SO much for that! :) Would love to know what you think if you get one! xo

    Rai: That is an excellent price! Thanks so much for sharing that info with us. Wow! I'm sorry the color you wanted was sold out though--don't you hate that? :(

    Miss Tat: OMG, please don't even speak to me about using things up! I haven't used up an eyeshadow in...forever! lol. I am SO bad. But I'm glad you found your holy grail in the HiP liner! yay! :)

    Amy: OK, you're the second person to say that! I need to check out that UD palette (I'm so bad at keeping up with high end products!). I'd love to know what you think if you try any of these quads. :)

    LipstickChick: LOL!!! Yeah, I went a little overboard there, but he's used to it. ;) You make some great points about these quads--they DO end up looking like the regular Maybelline shadows once they're blended out, don't they? Wow. But lucky for me, I REALLY like two shades in this quad so it's worth keeping. And I agree that it's a fun way to try shades you wouldn't normally buy. Great points all around, honey! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bought the eye studio eyeshadow quad in purple icon.Unfortunately I wasn't impressed. I thought that the colors were just not pigmented enough once on the eye lid. Looked so pretty in the package though..also I tried out the applicator that came with it and it's just so tiny! I could barely even hold it in my hand

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha your boyfriend sounds hilarious... you know....smooth it out? LOL.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig