Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, December 24, 2009

Review: New Revlon ColorBurst Lipsticks

I was super excited to find the display for these new Revlon ColorBurst lipsticks the other day and I knew I had to get a few to try, because I believe that this collection is Revlon's response to the wildly popular Maybelline Color Sensational lipstick line (which you know I love).

The colors I purchased (retail: $8.99) were 045 Raspberry, which is a shimmer (left), and 040 Soft Rose, which is a creme (right):


Love the quilted packaging!



My camera makes all red shades look more orange than they really are, but these swatches are close to the real-life colors:


Soft Rose (left), Raspberry (right)

[UPDATE: I recently discovered that "Soft Rose" is a spot-on dupe of a very popular NARS lip color. Click here to see!]

The above pic was taken after just one swipe on my hand, and you can see that after one swipe, the colors are kind of sheer. They don't have the immediate color payoff that Color Sensational lipsticks have (in my experience, Color Sensational lipsticks are packed with pigment and are quite opaque even after one swipe).

Something I love about these ColorBurst lipsticks is that they have no fragrance or flavor (just like the new Revlon Matte lipsticks). So if you dislike the fragrance or flavor of regular Revlon lippies, that won't be a problem with this collection. Something I don't like about ColorBurst is the lack of shades available. I believe there were just eight colors in the display I saw (I could be wrong but I think it was eight), compared to Color Sensational, which has a gazillion shades to choose from.

Here are some swatches on my lips:




Raspberry


Soft Rose

Both colors are gorgeous and I like the shiny satin finish to these lipsticks. They're quite moisturizing and they feel good on your lips (they do remind me of the way Color Sensational lipsticks feel on my lips).

So, what about the staying power? This is where ColorBurst kind of fails me. The staying power is not bad, compared to other lipsticks that are on the sheer side. But I will tell you that I saw fading after one hour, with color remaining on the outside border of my lips while the inside faded. I don't really seem to have this problem with Color Sensational, which lasts a few hours without inconsistent fading.

Final Analysis: If you're already a Revlon fan, nothing I say will probably stop you from trying these and I don't think they're a foolish investment if you can find a shade that works for your skintone. Luckily both of the shades I purchased seem to really work with my skintone, and the colors are gorgeous. For me they are more moisturizing that regular Revlon lipsticks, and they don't have that heavy, thick feeling that regular Revlon lipsticks tend to have on my lips. But I was surprised at the sheerness of the formula since these are supposed to "burst" with "color". I think I had it in my head that they'd be as pigmented as Color Sensational (or even better). For me, they are not. But for what they are (slightly sheer, fragrance-free, moisturizing lipsticks in pretty shades) they are quite good. The staying power could be better, but since they're on the sheer side, you can't quite expect the staying power to be stellar. If you want amazing staying power from Revlon, your best bet is try a lipstick from their new Matte collection.

What do you think of the new Revlon ColorBurst collection? Do you plan to pick some up? I'd love to hear your thoughts!
SHARE:

11 comments

  1. I'm disappointed that these are so sheer! I had high expectations on these after trying and loving the Super Lustrous Mattes (I just wish they'd expand their colors).

    I think I will pass on these and grab more Maybelline Color Sensation during a sale. Thanks for saving me the cash on these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a bit amused seeing them so sheer...but I generally prefer Revlon tube over Maybelline as they has tougher tubes that doesn't get scratched easily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate that the Revlon lipsticks are so sheer - I have the regular lipstick and that color takes time to build!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just saw these in my CVS and Bogo starts next week on them so I'll try some colors and see if I really like them. But I'm loving the matte colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had such great success with a Revlon Matte l/s you raved about recently (I suck with names ... Move Over Mauve? Something like that?), and when I saw these roll out, I had high hopes, too.

    Fail lol. Mine are going back. I picked up the Soft Rose and the lightest nude pink shade they offered, and I hate the shiny finish ... these remind me of MAC Lustres, which I also dislike. I can say, though, that the coverage was good, but the finish just wasn't for me.

    Oddly, most people find that their lips look plumper when glossy ... mine seem to work the opposite way, so this finish was a deal-killer. Too bad I didn't know about this prior to purchasing them :-/

    ReplyDelete
  6. mooosley: Yeah, I was definitely surprised at the sheerness, but for what they are, they're pretty good. lol. I don't think I need to buy more of them though, since these are really the only two shades in the (small) collection that I know would work for my skintone. :( You are so welcome, and yeah, they just don't hold a candle to those mattes! xo

    Citrine: You made a good point about the toughness of the Revlon tubes. The Color Sensational tubes do scratch easily! But those colors work better for me, and so does the formula, so I guess it's worth it. lol. :)

    ndoodles: Great point! The regular Revlon lippies do take time to build! And so do these new ColorBurst shades, that's for sure. :(

    rayqueenbee: I'd love to know what you think if you try any of these. But I'll tell you, since you love the Mattes, these might not live up to that standard for you. :(

    LipstickChick: Soooo happy that the new Matte lippies are working for you! Yay!! Aren't they awesome? I'm happy to know that the coverage of the ColorBurst shades you got was better for you than it was for me, but since you don't like shiny lipsticks, I can totally see why you'd return them. And I actually do understand your matte vs. shiny issue! Certain mattes I own make my lips look waaaay fuller than glossy lipsticks. So strange, huh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sticker Shock! *thud* XD dead!
    thanks for the heads up. I do like mattes, but sheer, not so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1xellus1: LOL! I know, they are like one or two dollars more than the regular lipsticks, right? And for a sheer? I would rather pay full price for another one of those mattes, that's for sure. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just discovered the Colorburst lipsticks after receiving a coupon, and I adore the Plum 010. It's gorgeous on my lips; I find the color very saturated. Surprisingly, I don't have to mix with other lipstick colors to make it right on me (something I commonly do). Too bad I discovered this at the tail end of winter. I can hardly wait for September when it can serve as my go-to daily lip color! : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Just wanted to let you know that some of the displays have not been properly filled - there are over 20 shades in ColorBurst.

    Thanks!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love the review. now i know if its worth $2 at cvs lol

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig