Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, December 24, 2009

I'm obsessed: New Queen Helene Naturals Line (SLS and paraben-free)

I know I can't be alone in this: my skin (face, hands, body, feet) are just plain sad right now. Everything's so dry and itchy and try as I might, I can't seem to get any long-term relief when it's this cold. (Yeah, I know, I live in San Diego but it dipped down to 36 degrees last night which is COLD for me. I shiver uncontrollably when it dips below 60, for crying out loud.)

Now, any good Recessionista is probably already a fan of the legendary Queen Helen Mint Julep Mask. I've been using that little multi-tasking wonder for decades now and nothing compares to its scent, texture, and ability to suck out the bad stuff from my skin and leave silky skin behind (have you ever used it as a spot-treatment for blemishes? It's great!). Oh, and it's also around two bucks a tube! So when Queen Helene released their new Naturals line, I was beyond excited to try it out.

I contacted Queen Helene a few months ago and they graciously sent me a coupon for a free product. I've been saving it in my purse for months, waiting for the perfect opportunity to use it. As luck would have it, my Rite Aid was having a BOGO free on Queen Helene products recently (one of the many benefits of their new rewards card, the Wellness+ card, which they are currently testing in San Diego) so check it out--I managed to get the Queen Helene Naturals Cocoa Butter Wash for free with my coupon, and the Queen Helene Naturals Cocoa Butter Creme for free as well! Now that is my kind of deal.

So let's start with the Queen Helene Naturals Cocoa Butter Creme (retail: $9.99, 6 oz but you can get it on Amazon for $6.98):





I have to say, this ingredient list is pretty impressive. No parabens, and it's loaded with certified organic and fair trade certified cocoa butter (the second ingredient). When you open the jar, you are immediately hit with the warm, soothing, chocolately aroma of the cocoa butter, which I love. And I love the texture of this creme:


(I stuck my finger in the pot before I took a pic--sorry--I couldn't control myself)

The QH Butter Creme is thick like a TBS body butter, but it's not so thick that it's difficult to work with. It spreads onto the skin with ease, and I looooove the texture so much that I can't stop using it. The cocoa butter is just so darn good for my dry winter skin right now--this creme brings immediately relief and it LASTS. I slather my arms, legs, hands and feet with it right before bed and my skin is incredibly smooth in the morning. I also love the fact that cocoa butter not only penetrates my dry skin and brings it moisture, but it also leaves a thin, protective coating on my skin, which keeps it smooth for hours. Even after multiple anti-bac applications and hand-washings, my hands feel soft and hydrated. And the best part, this stuff isn't greasy! I'm telling you guys, this product is the real deal and, in my humble opinion, well worth the 10 bucks.

Next, we have Queen Helene Naturals Cocoa Butter Body Wash, which is also paraben and SLS-free (retail: $9.99, 16 oz):







It brings me much pleasure to tell you that the Cocoa Butter Body Wash is loaded with the same warm, soothing, chocolatey scent of cocoa butter as the Butter Creme. A few squirts onto a bath pouf and I've got a rich, thick lather that cleanses my skin effectively yet gently. I love that this body wash contains cocoa butter, aloe vera, avena sativa kernel oil (like Aveeno products), vitamin E and sodium PCA. I believe that this combination of ingredients helps me avoid what I like to call "the itchies". When it gets really cold, I seem to itch all over my entire body if I use a body wash that contains SLS. It's just too harsh and drying to use as a cleanser when my skin is already so dry. So this body wash, with all of its skin-loving ingredients, is definitely a welcome addition to my shower right now.

You can purchase Queen Helene Naturals products at Rite Aid and other drugstores, mass merchandisers and beauty supply stores across the nation. You can also purchase them through Queen Helene's website (which will redirect you to Amazon for the actual purchase).

Are you interested in the new Naturals line? Do you currently use any other Queen Helene products? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and gratis samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. I love Queen Helene products. It's hard to find them anywhere in my area. My local dollar stores usually carry the Mint Julep Mask, Grape Seed Peel Mask, and Honey facial scrub. I often find myself checking out their products on their website dreaming of owning so many of them! I would buy them from Amazon, but unless I have an Amazon gift card it isn't happening! :( (I so wish they would use paypal!)
    I absolutely love the products I have used. I have insanely sensitive skin and the first time I tried the Mint Julep mask I just knew my face would swell, burn, and turn bright red, but it didn't! That is why I love their products so much! Hopefully one day I'll be able to try out some more of their amazing products!

    (Oh yeah! Merry Christmas!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love Queen Helene's Mint Julip Mask! Nothing beats it as an overnight spot treatment! And if my skin is really clogged I just mix in some dissolved uncoated aspirin and let it dry and rinse.

    I'm bummed because Queen Helene's products are getting quite obscure in my area for some reason. The Cocoa Butter body wash sounds like it would be perfect for my dry skin! SLS makes my skin even worse. It's nice to see an affordable line leaving it out of their products.

    Happy Holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just used the mint masque today! I think I might have seen these at Sally's last time I was there, I'd really like to try them. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the mint julep mask -- and I have used it as a spot treatment before!


    I feel you on the itching -- I was making a comment at work today about how itchy my sides of my stomach were. Those seem to get it the worst. I'd gladly take 36 at night though -- that's the high here if we're lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ashley: Yay! I love that you're a QH fan too. :) I'm sorry that you can't seem to find a lot of QH products in your area. Do you have a Sally Beauty close by? I know they carry a pretty large selection. Also, I'd try other beauty supply stores in your town--even ones that don't seem to carry a lot of other good brands seem to have a large QH selection. Good luck and keep me posted? :)

    mooosley: Another fan of the Mint Julep mask! Yay! Do you have a Sally Beauty in your town? And like I mentioned to Ashley, a lot of small beauty supply stores seem to carry a vast array of QH products. Have you tried any of those in your area? xo

    Heather: Yay!! I would looove to know what you think of the Naturals line if you try anything! xo

    PB: OMG, thank you! I was hoping it wasn't just me, and you are RIGHT about the sides of the stomach. WHY does it always seem to itch in that area when the weather is so cold? OK, I am totally going to stop complaining if 36 is your HIGH. Yesterday, Christmas Day, it was almost 80 degrees at noon, which is nuts. No wonder my skin is acting up. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review. If you want an in store coupon for $1.00 any Queen Helene product, click on the link below and follow the steps to download and print the coupon. Feel free to pass it on to friends and readers. Enjoy!

    www.bit.ly/QH_Coupon

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig