Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, September 28, 2015

Review: NEW Pacifica Tunisian Jasmine Lime Perfume Roll-On

I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned this here on the blog but, when it comes perfume, Mr. G's all-time favorite of everything in my embarrassingly-large collection is Pacifica Tunisian Jasmine. And naturally, Pacifica discontinued that fragrance a while back (Murphy's Law, right?). This devastated me, because I also love this fragrance--it smells just like you're holding a bouquet of fresh jasmine flowers while standing on a breezy, white sand beach.

ANYWAY, when I first saw Pacifica post about their newest fragrance on Instagram, I mentally jumped for joy. Tunisian Jasmine Lime? I mean, lime is one of my favorite notes of all time! Could the addition of citrus actually improve the original? Make it a bit tart? More complex? So many questions.

Pacifica Tunisian Jasmine Lime Perfume Roll-On
(retail: $12, 0.33 oz.)

When I saw that this fragrance was available on the Ulta website (it's also available in-store), I immediately clicked "add to bag" and waited impatiently for it to arrive. So now that I've had it for a few weeks, I'd love to share my opinion with you...





Can we talk about this adorable packaging for a moment? Rainbows, jasmine flowers, and unicorns?? Yes, yes, and yes.


So before I get into my review, here's what Tunisian Jasmine Lime looks like next to my original bottle of Tunisian Jasmine:

New Tunisian Jasmine Lime vs. original Tunisian Jasmine

OK. So here's the deal. I have literally never met a Pacifica fragrance that I did not love (or at least like very much). From Mexican Cocoa (the first Pacifica fragrance I ever fell in love with--in candle form--over a decade ago) to Tuscan Blood Orange, Malibu Lemon Blossom, Mediterranean Fig and the list goes on, I adore Pacifica fragrances.

Sadly, I dislike Tunisian Jasmine Lime, and I wish I would have tried a tester in-store before making this purchase. If I had, I can tell you that I would not have made a purchase. For me, Tunisian Jasmine Lime is in no way similar to the original Tunisian Jasmine, nor do I find it an improvement on the original.

To my nose, the addition of lime here ends up turning this fragrance into something that I can only describe as "Bay rum meets sugar cookie." This is most definitely a unisex fragrance to me, and the bay rum fragrance I detect here is quite predominant.

From Wikipedia:
[Bay rum] is a distillate that was originally made in Saint Thomas "and probably other West Indian islands" from rum and the leaves and/or berries of the West Indian bay tree, Pimenta racemosa. Other ingredients may be citrus and spice oils, the most common being lime oil, oil of cloves and cinnamon.

Though not listed in the description, I detect clove in Tunisian Jasmine Lime, and definitely lime oil. In the background I do get some jasmine but oddly enough, the jasmine seems to add a faint sweetness to this fragrance that ends up reminding me of sugar cookies. Overall, this fragrance smells like a man wearing bay rum while holding a plate of freshly baked sugar cookies that waft softly into the air around him. I understand that this could be a lovely idea for some of you, but it's just not my cup of tea.

As I mentioned at the start of this review, Mr. G adores when I wear the original Tunisian Jasmine, so I thought that maybe he might like this new fragrance, to wear himself (he is a fan of bay rum). Sadly, he said that it's just a bit too sweet for him. Bummer.

I can't really comment on projection or staying power, because I haven't given this a true testing (only little dabs on my wrists here and there over the course of a few weeks). Sorry about that, but since I dislike this fragrance, it's just not something I've wanted to apply liberally and smell throughout the day. But based on wrist-wear, this fragrance does seem to hold on for the better part of the day, although it tends to say a little close to the skin.

FINAL VERDICT: I was hoping for an even better, lovelier version of the original, but what I got was bay rum + sugar cookies. If you're generally a fan of bay rum, this might be a fun, sweet twist for you. But if you were hoping for something akin to the original, with perhaps with just a dash of fresh citrus, I'm afraid that you might be a bit disappointed, since this feels more like a spicy, unisex fragrance to me. 

The products featured in this post were purchased with personal funds. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. There is a website for a company that reformulates discontinued perfume. I don't know if you want to do that, but sometimes if it is a fragrance you can't live without, its the next best thing. I've never used them, but they are scent matchers (dot) com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing. I miss my Pacifica "California Star Jasmine."
      Pacifica's marketing is not loyal-customer friendly, alas.

      Delete
  2. Aw, too bad you're not a fan :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad I read this G., while not a huge fan of the Pacifica scents, it was on my radar because of the lime. I think I will pass on this. I do love Bay Rum on guys, I don't think I would love it on me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Bay Rum and I love sugar cookies, so this sounds interesting. But I think Bay Rum and sugar cookies can stand quite well enough on their own. I'll probably try and give it a sniff at Ulta and see if my nose agrees with your nose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi :)
    Try kuumba made fragrance oils. I believe they carry a Tunisian jasmine. They're usually sold at whole foods and are amazing and pretty low on synyhetics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pacifica has a talent for eliminating some of their classics scents.
    Not too long ago, they discontinued California Star Jasmine, leaving many long-time loyal customers in the lurch on a favorite fragrance. Think Chanel getting rid of its signature No. 5, or Jean Patou eliminating its classic, Joy.
    For those of us who love fragrance but must wear so-called Vegan products, the disappearance of California Star Jasmine felt like a betrayal. And Tunisian Star Jasmine is no replacement: It's loud with lime and smells like a cheap after-shave. Nothing subtle, complex, or inviting about it, more like: hand me a towelette to wipe this off.
    Pacifica's Sparkling Star Passionfruit is another dismal fragrance that missed the mark. Neither sparkling nor smelling of passionfruit, the top and bottom notes are sugary and sickening sweet like cheap candy in an artificial fruit flavor.
    To think Pacifica got rid of proven, enduring winners to come up with Tunisan Jasmine Lime and Sparling Star Passionfruit begs the question: what were they thinking/drinking?
    Sometimes, accepting loyal customer accolades and repeat purchases by leaving well enough alone is the smartest strategy.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig