Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, October 13, 2014

Review: NEW Revlon Photoready Eye Art in 060 Peach Prism

In the beginning of October, I showed you the new Revlon Photoready Eye Art and Kajal Eye Pencil display (click HERE if you missed that post). Right after I posted those pics, I actually found the display at my local Bed Bath & Beyond and purchased one of the Eye Art shadow duos and one of the Kajal Eye Pencils. I'll be reviewing the Kajal Pencil very soon, but today I want to share my thoughts about Eye Art duo with you. So let's get right into it!

Revlon Photoready Eye Art in 060 Peach Prism
(retail: around $7.99, 0.2 oz total; 0.1 oz per side)

After carefully examining all of the shades in this display, I decided on Peach Prism. If you haven't seen these shadows in person yet, the tubes are exactly like Revlon's Nail Art tubes (the polish tubes are made of glass though, while these tubes are made of very thick plastic). All of the cream eyeshadows are metallics (I was hoping there might be a few mattes but no such luck) and the glittery shades are all quite different from one another. I chose Peach Prism for two reasons: 1) the champagne shadow looked very versatile and 2) the glitter side of this duo seemed a bit more unique than the other glitter combos in this range.

Cream eyeshadow side


In the pic above, you can see that there's some iridescence to this shade.

Glitter side


The glitter in this formula is square-shaped and it's a mix of iridescent glitter, gold glitter and pink/rose-gold glitter. The base is tinted but it's a very sheer peach.


The wand on the cream shadow side is very flexible (not stiff or hard to work with).


The wand on the glitter side actually contains a small brush that makes it pretty easy to line the eyes. The only issue I have with this brush is that it's already starting to splay a little bit (you can kind of see that in my pic above).



My camera isn't the greatest for capturing glitter, so below is a swatch in lower lighting where you can see the glitter a bit better. Please note that in person, the glitter is very sparkly and very visible on the eye. In person, there are some beautiful shades of pink, rose and gold that come through, in addition to the iridescent glitter.



In this first pic above, I applied the cream shadow from lashline to crease using just my fingers. I also lined my upper and lower lashline with the glitter side of this duo (again, the glitter is VERY visible in person; you just can't see it in these pics--sorry about that).


In the pic above, I decided I wanted to apply a darker powder shadow to my crease to give this look a little bit more dimension. Using an eyeshadow brush, I applied one of the darker brown shades in the Maybelline The Nudes palette to my crease. It wasn't too difficult to apply a powder shadow on top of the already-dry cream shadow, but it didn't blend very easily (it required some work to blend).


The above photo was taken about four hours after application. If you look to the outside corner of my eye, you may notice something... 


Above is a closer look at my eye after four hours. Notice that the areas on my upper lash line where I applied glitter are starting to pucker and flake. Here's a closer look:


I was hoping that the first time this happened, it was just a fluke due to the hot weather on the first day that I was testing this duo. Sadly, this flaking and puckering occurred every time I tried to wear the glitter on top of the cream shadow (and yes, I followed the directions and allowed the cream shadow to fully set before applying the glitter).

I have also tried wearing the glitter without any eyeshadow underneath, and it performs A LOT better that way for me (you can see that the glitter I applied to my lower lash line is not flaking at all in my pics above). I think that less is more when it comes to this product. If you're trying to get an intensely glittery look on your upper lash line, I think that's when you might encounter the problems I had above. But if you're just using it for accents (a few dots on the lower lash line or inside corner of the eye) you might not have any issues at all. Also, I wasn't able to apply this glitter over a traditional eyeliner (pencil, liquid or gel) without it smudging my eyeliner.

As for using this glitter on my lashes, I'm afraid I couldn't do it. I use washable mascaras and the moment this product comes in contact with my mascara, it runs like crazy and ultimately ends up making my mascara disappear. I would strongly suggest that you use a waterproof mascara if you plan to dot the tips of your lashes with this product--I don't know if that will work because I don't own any waterproof mascaras at the moment, but I know that washable mascaras don't work with this glitter formula.

On the plus side, this glitter does not migrate, no matter where I apply it. It stays within the base and doesn't end up under my eyes or on my cheeks by the end of the day. If it didn't peel and pucker for me, I would be very happy with the performance of this glitter, and the combination of glitter in this particular duo is truly gorgeous in person.

As for the cream shadow side of this duo, I'm very happy with how it has been performing for me. There's enough play-time to blend it out before it sets (I just use my finger, although I have used a brush and it works nicely both ways) and the formula is easy to work with. It's a thinner formula, which makes it easy to spread across the lid, but I'm quite happy with the pigmentation even after blending.

I can get about 5-6 hours of wear (applied to bare skin--no primer underneath) before I start to see some creasing/fading. I can get slightly better results if I use primer first, but what's odd is that this shadow actually worked better without primer on certain days (it really depended on which primer I was using on that given day). This is something you might need to play around with, but I definitely recommend trying the cream shadow both on bare skin and over primer, because you never know.

FINAL VERDICT: I'm torn about this one. On the one hand, I'm happy with the cream shadow and it's a great all-over type of color that you can apply quickly and easily using just your fingers. On the other hand, the glitter side of this duo just isn't a good fit for me. Granted, I don't wear glitter all that often, but if I were wanting to use this on a special occasion such as New Year's Eve, I would be very hesitant because I wouldn't want it coming off in sheets before the end of the night. I think that applying this glitter strategically to tiny areas, and NOT over the cream shadow, is the best way to go. But that's kind of a bummer because I really like how it looks over the cream shadow (before it starts to peel). I think that if Revlon were to sell just the cream shadow side of this duo on its own, I would be more inclined to purchase additional shades. But your results could vary--I would love to know if any of you with normal/dry skin have better luck with the glitter!

Do you own any of the new Revlon Photoready Eye Art duos? I would love to hear about YOUR experiences.

The products featured in this post were purchased with personal funds. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

13 comments

  1. Oh man. I think I saw these on display and thought nail polish. Now I'm curious. The cream shadow is super pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! That's easy to do since they look so similar. :) I'd love to know what you think if you give these a whirl, Heidi.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this review. I've been waiting for a review/swatches ever since these were spotted. I love cream eyeshadows so I am going to get a few of these for sure. I think you're right, we'll just have to play around with them and see what works best for each person. But those colors looks gorgeous! Can't wait to see these in person! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome, Carol. And yep, they definitely require some playing around and hopefully not everyone has the same results with the glitter side. That glitter is so gorgeous...I'm really hoping it doesn't peel for you! Keep me posted? :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for your thorough review! I really love the eyeshadow portion of this duo but the glitter makes me nervous. Glitter always seems to end up in my eyes/contacts. I might have to pass on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome! :)

      I didn't have any issues with the glitter particles actually detaching from the base, so you might be good with these if they don't peel for you!

      Delete
  4. I haven't found these yet and I think it looks beautiful on your eyes. Too bad it's not performing that great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Agata!! The cream side is really nice...just wish the glitter worked a bit better for me. :(

      Delete
  5. Completely agree with you about the shadow side - I tried the glitter side but it stayed wet too long and I just didn't have the patience to wait for it to dry. That would be so great if they could sell only the shadow side - but given that Rite Aid has Revlon products for 40% off this week, I bought them all anyway - except the green shade that Olivia is wearing in the display - that was sold out :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, the glitter peeled off for me as well. I wear black liquid eyeliner and do a subtle cat eye with it as my daily look, and latelyI've wanted to add a splash of glitter eyeliner above my liquid eyeliner (gearing up for the holidays)!... and when I saw the Revlon shadow/glitter combo I was pumped! I got the Topaz Twinkle which is kind of a bronze gold and the glitter was gorgeous. Raced home and applied the glitter right above my liquid liner and within about an hour it was peeling. Granted, I may have gotten carried away and applied too much.... so I'll try again with a lighter hand. But I mean it peeled off in one giant long thin sheet. I haven't tried the eyeshadow yet, so hopefully that will hold up better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I applied the glitter over my L'Oréal Liquid liner pencil. (it's a Kohl pencil that looks like a liquid liner) n it held up Just fine. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The color is really nice it's too bad that it peels off

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used this same exact one a while back. I have fairly oily lids and I found that after several hours the glitter flaked off as well. I want to try again using a finer coat of glitter to see if that makes a difference. I have 9 of the 10 in the line and I'm happy with most of them. Don't care for Green Glimmer, Fuchsia Flash, or Lilac Luster. I thought they might be fun colors to do a cute tutorial or would come in handy for Halloween, but they just perform pooey. =(

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig