Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, March 14, 2014

Reader Swatches: Super Lustrous Lipsticks in Carnival Spirit and Sultry Samba from the Revlon Rio Rush Collection

By now, I'm guessing that more of you have spotted the Spring/Summer Gucci Westman Rio Rush Collection at your local drugstores (click here if you missed my pics of this collection from last month). Since that post, I have heard from several of you that the gold glitter polish in that collection (Gold Goddess) IS a gold flake polish, in the same vein as NYC Top of the Gold and Zoya Maria Luisa. Yay!

Today I have some reader swatches of two of the three lipsticks in this collection (per reader V., the third lipstick in this collection is called Ipanema Beach, and it's a nude shade--thanks for that, V.!). Reader Leeann shared some swatches of the other two lipsticks in this collection--take a look!

image credit: Leeann for Nouveau Cheap
Carnival Spirit (Shine finish) and Sultry Samba (Matte finish)

image credit: Leeann for Nouveau Cheap
Top: Sultry Samba 
Bottom: Carnival Spirit

Leeann said that both shades were quite sheer when she swatched them on her arm above, and that they each required several swipes for what you see above. She also confirmed that Carnival Spirit is sheer on the lips but Sultry Samba has decent pigmentation on the lips. By the way, I am still loving the Shine finish lipstick I reviewed last summer--do any of you love the Shine finishes as well?

Have you purchased anything from the Rio Rush collection? I'd love to hear from you! 

Thanks again, Leeann, for the great swatches and info!
SHARE:

13 comments

  1. Gosh, Revlon has been disappointing me lately. Ever since they discontinued the SL glosses...anytime they come out with new shades they're just not up to par with the quality that I am use to seeing from them. NYX is taking over for my favorite drugstore brand these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you that the new Super Lustrous lipglosses aren't the same as the originals, but I do think that Revlon is KILLING it lately with their jumbo lip pencils. The pigmentation of the ones I own is fantastic and they last for hours on me, whereas the new NYX Butter Lipstick I reviewed barely lasts a full hour. Isn't it funny how different our experiences with lip color can be?

      Delete
    2. those lipsticks look like they match the elf blushes that are right next to them on the right of the site.......hope that makes sense. lol

      Delete
    3. Sorry, but where? I'm not seeing any elf products in these pics...I know elf is coming out w/ a quad of new blushes that look really nice though, can't wait to find that!

      Delete
  2. I bought Sultry Samba, owned it for about 4 minutes and returned it right away. Not only was the lipstick extremely sheer, the formula was just...uncomfortable. It felt like I was rubbing my lips with a crayon. I can't quite explain the feeling; I probably own around 200 lipsticks and I can't say I've ever tried anything like it. I also own most of the old Revlon Matte lipsticks and those babies had major pigmentation and one of the best drugstore matte formulas to date. There are better formulas out there for this kind of color. Sultry Samba = DISAPPOINT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the exact opposite effect. The matte finish was extremely comfortable for me. I have overly dry lips and it went on smooth. I had an 5 minute convo with my boyfriend about how moisturizing it was. To each their own.

      Delete
  3. Just so you know there are 4 in this collection not 3 the other one is called Brazilian Tan#672. Just thought I would add that incase anyone wanted to know :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sultry Samba looks gorgeous, though bolder than what I usually wear (BUT, I am trying to branch out!). Elaine's comment though makes me hesitant. I am wondering if you could let us know how these lipsticks feel if you end up getting them? :) The colors are nice overall, and the fact that they are sheer is a plus for me -- I love lipsticks that are buildable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I purchased 3 of the 4 at Harmons beauty store at central ave, yonkers (NY)... collection was pretty much sold out... I literally lucked out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Confirming there's a second nude lipstick (nude-ish brown) in the collection, "Brazilian Tan." Spotted at Rite Aid.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Confirming there's a second nude lipstick in the collection, Brazilian Tan (nude-ish brown). Spotted at Rite Aid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brazilian Tan is my PERFECT nude! I ran back out to get a backup in the event this is limited edition. It's not specified as such on the tube but with everything else in the collection being LE it's likely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still cannot find these. I live in Chicago and have not seen them at CVS or Walgreens. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig