Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, January 5, 2014

The Lipstick League – week of 12.30.13


Lipstick League Question of the Week

What do you think is going to be the biggest beauty trend in 2014?

G's answer: I actually was talking about this on the Nouveau Cheap Facebook page the other day and, as it pertains to drugstore beauty, I definitely think that cleansing oils, face primers, mattifying powders and lipstain/lipgloss/liquid lipstick hybrids are going to be big in 2014. I also think we're not even close to seeing the end of the nail art invasion at the drugstores, and I think many more glittery top coats are in our future as well. I think that 2013 was definitely The Year of the Chubby Lip Pencil, but I'm sure we'll see even more brands release them this year (as well as chubby eyeshadow pencils) and of course more BB/CC Creams.

PS: Now what do I WISH would be a big trend this year? Powder foundations! I adore powder foundations, and it seems that every year, fewer and fewer drugstore brands make them. I swear they're going to be obsolete at the drugstore eventually, which makes me very sad.


Links of the Week

EauMG - says goodbye to 2013 with her best (and worst) list of perfumes launched last year.

Gouldylox Reviews - What worked and what flopped? Did your favorite make the list? Read The Year in Beauty to find out!

My Beauty Bunny - Tis the season to rock a scarlet pout! Unsure about red? We share the secrets on How to Find the Perfect Red Lipstick for all skin tones.

Nouveau Cheap - The new Wet n Wild Fergie Centerstage Collection for 2014 is now hitting stores, and there are some intriguing new products in this one!

Prime Beauty - is tired of the the overly sweet floral fragrances on the market. Dolce and Gabanna takes her out of her comfort zone with The One Desire and sweeps her off her sexy stilettos!

Phyrra - shares her Best Beauty Products of 2013! Are any of these must haves for you?

we heart this - shares their three favorite beauty tutorials from 2013; including the secrets to getting that doe-eyed Zooey Deschanel look.

Guest Post of the Week, as chosen by EauMG - The Non-Blonde shares her makeup tips for adult women who are just beginning to wear makeup in their 30’s or 40’s. It’s never too late to start playing in pigment!
SHARE:

14 comments

  1. I love anything matte, matte lipstick, matte primer, etc. haha because I am oily as well. But it would be so amazing to see Powder Foundations at the drugstore. I've been using NYX Stay Matte But Not Flat Powder Foundation & it's good but nothing beats MUFE Duo Mat for me, I <3 IT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! It would be so nice to see more of these at the drugstore, especially since my Holy Grail powder foundation from Physicians Formula went bye-bye from CVS and Rite Aid last year (you can only get it at Ulta now, or online). :(

      Delete
  2. I hope you're right on the cleansing oil trend. I would love to try one! I know you had the review on DHC cleansing oil which seems like I will probably love.

    One thing I think that might pick up more is sulfate free shampoos. I do love sulfate free shampoo. I have been using sulfate free shampoos for over 3 years now. I refuse to go back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you see my review of the new Garnier cleansing oil? That might be an alternative for you (it wasn't my favorite but others seem to love it):

      http://nouveaucheap.blogspot.com/2013/12/review-garnier-clean-nourishing.html

      Delete
    2. I did! I have just about the same skin type as you so if you don't like something I usually don't like it as well. I also broke out after using two different Garnier face products so I'm afraid to try any other face products from them.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the link love. Much appreciated xo

    You're right about the chubby pencils. They were everywhere (and I kept buying them, sometimes against my better judgement). I also agree about hybrid textures. This is probably one of the most interesting development in cosmetics. I'm curious to see what's next.

    The oils may be part of the Japanese invasion. I see many cosmetics enthusiasts (and brands) looking East and adopting elements from Japanese skincare. I'm not well-versed enough in drugstore products, but I know that Hada Labo, which I used to buy at my local Japanese market is now at Ulta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Gaia.I really enjoyed that post--so incredibly helpful!

      And yes, I buy every chubby lip pencil I see...it's a sickness.

      I was so excited to see Hada Labo at Ulta as well! And it's also interesting that big cosmetic brands like Maybelline are bringing their products from Asian markets over here (i.e. Baby Skin), which is absolutely wonderful. No need to order from Sasa anymore (well, for *some* things).

      Delete
  4. I have to say that the oil trend is a hit. But I have extremely oily skin. So I did do some research on using oil. I'm a cosmetologist and the old saying goes color removes color. If you get it on your skin take the hair color and rub it on your skin. Same with oily skin I use extra virgin olive oil on my face and it does help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cleansing conditioners and primers!

    And Just unique products of any type!

    *hopefully* they will have some acne fighting Bb creams coming out in 2014...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope a trend is more matte eye shadows. I'm so tired of almost every drugstore eye palette being a glitter bomb.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Diy hair extensions! I see tutorials for it everywhere

    ReplyDelete
  8. Diy hairextensions and diy hair color..... I think were going to see a lot more diy products for the hair.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with your predictions, G. Hopefully some more affordable oil cleansers hit the market. I love the DHC one but it's pricey, and Garnier is too fragranced for me. I also agree with some folks' comments, regarding mattes and hybrids and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love for cleansing water products to be more available at drugstores. I can get Vichy cleansing water at Walgreen's (or is it CVS?) and Caudalie at Blue Mercury, but in my dreams, an American company starts selling a knock-off of Bioderme's for $8.00 a bottle!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig