Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, January 26, 2014

The Lipstick League – week of 1.20.14




Lipstick League Question of the Week

Do you color your hair? If so, do you do it yourself or do you get it professionally colored? If you do it yourself, what are some of your favorite brands?

G's answer: I am a TOTAL do-it-yourself gal when it comes to hair color. For a few years now I've been loving John Frieda Go Blonder Controlled Lightening Spray, but recently I changed my hair color (I went a bit warmer) so I returned to Wella Color Charm, which I adore. I've had several hair stylists recommend it to me over the years (it's kind of known within the industry for being great at covering gray) and it's often on sale at Sally Beauty, which makes it even better.

Links of the Week

My Beauty Bunny - On a diet? No worries! Get your chocolate fix from the new Too Faced Chocolate Bar palette! With a mix of highly-pigmented colors in both matte and shimmer finishes it's my new fave palette!

Nouveau Cheap - It’s been a while since a drugstore blush has truly rocked my world, but this one is so amazing that I almost want to keep it to myself (but of course I won’t).

Pink Sith - Pantone's color of the year is a hard to define fuchsia-purple-lavender hybrid. Whatever it is, it's called Radiant Orchid and you have so many choices for beauty and accessories!

Prime Beauty - Can't think of a better combination than hot chocolate and makeup and that's exactly what Too Faced has done in their Haute Chocolate Collection. See which confection you like best!

Phyrra - shares the best from NARS Spring 2014 and the Final Cut Collections.

we heart this - our favorite 13 products of 2013 range in price from $3.99 to $415. We are equal opportunity beauty junkies!

EauMG - The results are in! Announcing the winners of Perfume Pals of EauMG Best of 2013! Thank you to everyone that voted.

Gouldylox Reviews - Wondering if the foundation from Allure's Blogger of the Year, MaskCara is worthy of the hype? This might work for you, despite not working so well for me.  Find out why!

Lipglossiping - gets up close and personal with Clinique’s new 16 Shades of Beige Collection… but is it as dull as it sounds?!

 Guest Post of the Week, as chosen by My Beauty Bunny - I love reading and supporting fellow cruelty-free beauty blogs and one of my very favorites is Logical Harmony. Founder Tashina recently cleared up an issue I've been pondering as well: Are Products Sold in Airports in China Cruelty Free?
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. I color my own. Not only is it much, much less expensive.. I have never had it done professionally where they have gotten my color right. It's a deep warm toned red/brown. I use loreal Excellence in 5RB. It does not fry my hair (in fact my hair is softer after), covers grey very well, does not fade (to be fair I do not wash my hair every day, and only use sulfates about once a week.. but I have had other brands fade even still), and does not stain your skin. It also comes with a pretreatment for your ends, a root comb attachment, and nice gloves that don't stick to my hair.. all of which are major bonus points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I color my own! I'm way too cheap, and independent, to pay upwards of $100 for something I can do myself! If you're smart about it (do your research) you can easily do your own and get fabulous bright long lasting color. I've even done my own lowlights and highlights. The bonus for me though is that I actually have extensive color training from Clairol and Loreal directly, from my days as a Cosmetician. And if you speak with a trained cosmetician at certain drugstores, they are trained too, just as I was. That depends on the store though. Even if I'm unsure of a color, I call their toll free numbers (on the box or website) and they will help assign me the perfect color for my specific hair! I've been everything from super light ash blonde to dark copper blonde to light copper blonde to dark brown to red .... lol. Done it all. (My natural color is a dark blonde with red undertones, not an easy color to change). HINT: It is important to know your natural hair color, your current dyed color, and your skin tone (warm or cool). And then you need to research color tones. Example: Ash, Beige, Gold. All the current hair products on shelves have a lot to offer. I've never been a big fan of Garnier, but I recently tried one of their new ones, and I loved it. It did fade out sooner than expected, but I used a hair gloss and it refreshed the color! I typically stick with Loreal. Though I've been hearing great things about John Frieda, Clairol (also a great one that's been around a long time), and Garnier Olia (amazing reviews!), unfortunately these don't have the larger shade range that I need. Their shades are very simple. You also have a choice on the moisturizing properties of the brand or color. You can easily do less damage to your hair than at a salon! And, if your hair is ridiculously fried, the new formulations of demi/semi permanent aka 28 shampoo are fabulous!! You won't even notice it's not permanent! So ... Good luck if you try! Message me if you have any questions!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, and DIY. I've been blonde, redhead and brunette many times over the years but now stick mostly to brunette. Usually I buy whatever looks interesting in a light to medium natural or golden brown, and vary the routine. Sometimes I just mix a few tablespoons and paint a few stripes of a slightly darker or slightly lighter color here and there (or use a few stripes of auburn, but nothing dramatic, just for variety or highlights or lowlights, and I just want small variations, anyways, to add a bit more depth or something). Going the medium brown route is easy to maintain, so definitely DIY. Then I can spend more $$$ on makeup and nail polish...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a huge fan of the John Freida foam hair dye. My hair reaches my waist and I only need one box!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig