Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, January 5, 2014

Review & Swatches: Sinful Colors Taupe It Off

Taupe It Off is a new limited edition shade for 2014, and it can be found in the Tough Love Collection at Rite Aid. This collection consists primarily of repromotes from the Leather Luxe Collection from Summer/Fall 2013, but there are also three NEW leather-finish polishes in the the Tough Love Collection (Taupe It Off, Black Cherry and Simply Silver, which you can see here). I'll be reviewing Black Cherry soon as well, but for now let's take a closer look at Taupe It Off:

Sinful Colors Taupe It Off 1328
(retail: $1.99, 0.5 oz)


Below is a macro shot of Taupe It Off. It was difficult for me to zoom in without things becoming blurry but I hope that you can see that the teeny tiny flakes in this polish are not silver (they look silver to the naked eye in most lights). They're actually iridescent flakes, similar to the flakes in Sinful Colors Cinderella:


Swatches:

Pinky and ring finger: two coats (no base or top coat)
Middle and index finger: three coats (no base or top coat)

As you can see, this polish is pretty sheer after two coats--it really requires three. The finish is similar to the Maybelline Vintage Leather polishes from Fall 2013, except that Taupe It Off self-levels quite beautifully, whereas the Maybelline polishes never did level out for me. The ridges you see above on my index finger are caused by the actual ridges on my nail--I haven't buffed my nails in a while and I didn't use a base coat for these pics.

Swatches with top coat:


With clear top coat, this polish definitely takes on a whole different look, and the iridescent flakes are much more vibrant. I feel like this is the closest I'll ever come to a polish that resembles Sinful Colors Stella (which I could never find locally) so I'm quite happy about this. Thanks again to reader Fifilan for first alerting me to this Stella lookalike!

As for application, this polish goes on streaky and sheer for the first coat, but it kind of "goops up" for the second and third coats, so you'll need to have a little patience. It dries quickly (as do most leather finish polishes) and I was VERY happy with the wear-time. I wore this polish without base or top coat for two days before I applied the clear top coat you see above, and I had no chips, peeling or tip-wear.

FINAL VERDICT: If you like taupes and you like iridescence, this polish is for you. I love that you can wear it two different ways, and I actually don't have a favorite way to wear it--I like both ways equally. Even though this is more of a fall color to me, I'm happy to have it in my stash and I think it would even work for conservative work environments due to the size of the flakes--they are quite small and don't translate as glitter to the naked eye--it looks more like a soft, frosty sheen on the nail than sparkle.

Do you own Taupe It Off? How is it working for you?

The products featured in this post were purchased with personal funds. For more information, click here.

SHARE:

11 comments

  1. That's pretty, especially with topcoat! For those who can't find either Stella or Taupe it Off, an extremely similar shade is Nite Owl by Orly, although the base might be a shade lighter and the shimmer is a mix of silver and pale gold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy G. this is so pretty with top coat. Personally I don't like any of the texture polishes on their own. I don't care for texture on my nails in general and perfer shine, sparkle and smooth finish so I top coat the heck out of the few that I have. I generally buy them because I like to color and this included. If I find it at Walmart I will be buying this. My new obsession is nudes and different variations of nude so I think I will have to have this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your review, wholeheartedly! I love that this color can be warm two different ways, and can't decide which i like best. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. G, I'm so glad you got your hands on this. I only wore it with a topcoat because I thought it looked prettier that way and brought out the sparkle in it. I do agree it is probably the closest we will come to Stella unless Sinful releases that one in more stores someday. Like you, I am very happy with this one and it wore like iron on me. I had minimal chipping on day 8.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought this but haven't swatched it yet. I love it with the topcoat. So prett. Now I can't wait to wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it! I think it could work with some nail art too. I have visions of French manis in my brain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a pretty color! Unfortunately, I haven't had the best experiences with sinful colors. For me, the quality is not stellar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried finding Black Cherry at Walgreens today since we don't have Rite Aids in my area. I do have some of the Leather Lux polishes and used Cool Leather and like the texture of it! I may have to try and find the Tough Love collection on Ebay if I can.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was able to find a seller with one bottle of this one, Taupe It Off and bought it! I did ask about the other ones but they said they were out once she listed them, but I did ask to alert me if she gets any bottles of Black Cherry and if she does, I am buying 2 or 3 bottles of it! :) At least I got one so far!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bought this polish without having read this post (because it looked so pretty in store!) and it looks pretty different to me in person. More gray, more matte, and it was fairly opaque after two coats. I wonder why there is variation! I love it, though.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig