Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, November 7, 2013

Review: Salon Grafix Healthy Hair Nutrition Conditioning Cleanser for Oily or Flat Hair

It's been a while since I reviewed a haircare product, and even longer since I reviewed a conditioning cleanser. But when I saw this one at my local Grocery Outlet a few weeks ago, I couldn't resist picking it up, since most conditioning cleansers are formulated for dry/coarse hair. Very rare to find one for oily/flat hair!

You can also purchase this at Walmart and Walgreens, and on drugstore.com and there's store locator on their site here. I found mine for $2.99 at Grocery Outlet, so if you have a Grocery Outlet near you, definitely check there first. This product retails for $7.99 elsewhere.

Salon Grafix Healthy Hair Nutrition Conditioning Cleanser for Oily or Flat Hair
(retail: $7.99, 12 oz)

For those new to conditioner cleansing (aka: "co-washing" or the "no-poo" method), it's a pretty simple idea. Instead of using shampoo, you use a mild conditioner to wash your hair. The goal here is to avoid drying sulfates or other ingredients commonly found in shampoos that may dry out the hair. 

Before there were these fancy "conditioning cleansers," many people used (and still use) plain ol' conditioners to wash their hair. It's better to use a mild conditioner (the $0.99 Vo5 conditioners are very popular for co-washing) because otherwise you can be left with flat, greasy hair. 

There's no big mystery here as to why those with thick, dry, coarse hair might prefer to co-wash vs. using a traditional shampoo. But those of us with oily hair can benefit from co-washing too, especially if you color-treat your hair and want to keep your color from fading. No sulfates = longer time between colorings. So that's why I was thrilled to find a formula specifically geared toward those of us with oily or flat hair:



The scent of this product is Sugared Melon Mint, which actually doesn't smell quite as delicious as it sounds. It's OK, but not my favorite. It's got a very non-sugary melon scent to it, with a bit of mint. So if don't like super sweet scents, you may actually like this one (I just think it's odd that they put the word "sugared" in the title since it's one of the least sweet melon scents I've encountered!).


This product looks like a basic conditioner--it's an opaque, white cream (nothing fancy, so that's why I didn't take a picture of it).

I have been using this product for about two weeks now, every day or every other day. And guess what? I like it. I don't love it, but I like it. In case you're a newer reader, here's a quick summary of my hair: I have long, oily hair that's very oily at the roots but drier at the ends. I color-treat my hair about once a month or so. The texture of my hair is fine, but I have a lot of it. It's naturally wavy and prone to frizz (you can see what it's like at its worst in the "before" picture here).

The thing about all of the conditioning cleansers I've used is that you need a lot of product to coat your hair. The bottle suggests 4-8 pumps. I have pretty long hair, so I need about 10 pumps. As with all conditioning cleansers, your hair needs to be fully saturated with water before you even try to apply this product. Since it's not a shampoo and it's not a heavy conditioner, it doesn't disperse easily through the hair. Once you apply it to the top of your head, it's not going to flow down to the ends of your hair. You really need to coax it through your hair, but I have tip that might help! Once you've worked this product in as far as it can go and it's still not coating all of your hair, quickly dip your head into the stream of your shower, get your hair a bit more wet, and THEN this product will become easier to work through down to your ends.

After working it in for a few minutes, I like to leave this in while I shave my legs, and then rinse. Rinsing is very easy and this rinses clean without any effort at all. Once it's rinsed, my hair feels soft, but not AS soft as when I use a regular shampoo followed by a regular conditioner. It's not dry, brittle or tangly, but it just doesn't feel quite as soft. The detangling properties of this product are pretty good, even though it doesn't have a lot of "slip."

After my hair dries (whether I let it air-dry or heat-style it), my hair is bouncy and it has a nice amount of volume. It's definitely not flat or sad-looking, so that's a huge plus. My natural waves seem a bit "springy-ier" but it doesn't really feel like my waves are enhanced or that my hair is way curlier than usual. In fact, I couldn't really take before-and-after photos for this review because my hair kind of looked the same, to the naked eye, as when I used my regular shampoo/conditioner combo.

I also want to mention that I deliberately went without washing my hair for three days before I first tested this product, just to see how it would perform on very oily, dirty hair. It actually did a very nice job of cleansing! I didn't feel like my hair was still dirty or greasy after using this product, which is another huge plus.

The thing I don't like about this product is that I do feel like I need an additional leave-in conditioner when I use it. My hair just doesn't feel as soft as I'm used to when I use this conditioning cleanser, so I feel I need to compensate and add a bit of softness to it. But that's just a personal preference, and if you don't mind your hair perhaps not feeling as soft as usual, you could be OK with this. I also don't like that my hair looks and feels a bit greasy again less than 24 hours after I've used this product. For example, if I wash it at night before bed, my bangs look a bit greasy by dinnertime the next day. But to be fair, this happens with most conditioning cleansers I've tried.

FINAL VERDICT: Hair products are extremely subjective and what may work for me may be a total bust for you. But if you have oily or flat hair and you want to try a conditioning cleanser that's formulated for people like us, you might have luck with this one. Conditioning cleansers are not an everyday thing for me--they're something I reserve for when my ends are feeling extra dry or if I'm trying to preserve my hair color a bit longer. So I like that I now have this option in my shower, but it's certainly not taking the place of my regular shampoos and conditioners.

Do you co-wash? If so, what are some of your favorite products? I'd love to hear from you!

The products featured in this post were purchased with personal funds. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. I have never encountered anyone who describes their hair as having a lot of fine hair. I have the same type!!! This is really exciting to me. lol. I'm going to read all your reviews on shampoos and conditioners. I might even try a cheapo conditioner bottle of VO5. Thanks a lot for this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so funny, this also describes my hair! No lie, I actually had a hair cut today and my stylist actually said, "you're hair's fine, but you have a lot of it!" I'm so amused by the timing of this post :).

      Delete
  2. Seeing anything geared towards oily hair IS a shock. It's annoying how everyone goes on and on about dry hair but here I am, washing my hair every other day with shampoo only (I've given up on conditioner because it makes my hair oilier quicker). I'm trying out the Tresemme Keratin Smooth shampoo now because my hair tends to get frizzy with humidity. It's okay, not amazing. I might try the volume one next. Buuut yeah. =-= If I see this in the store, I might give it a try. Thanks for the great review as always. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have thin straight hair that can get oily after 1 day (sometimes by the end of the day my roots are oily). This may be a good product for me to try. I'm currently using the Nioxin system and it's working ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i use wen tea tree and wen fig for my hair and i love it my hair has completely changed since i stopped using shampoo, with wen you can also use a small amount as a leave in conditioner which does a pretty good pretty job. maybe you can use a little of this as a leave in conditioner too. a lot of people may disagree with me but stop wasting your money on drugstore shampoo and buy the good stuff it does make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the same type if hair, very fine and lots of it. (Also wavy and snarls easily :( )

    ReplyDelete
  6. How funny, I too have the same hair type as you and the other respondents. Your "before" pic looks like my hair if I let mine airdry with no product. I'm definitely going to back through your blog for hair product recommendations. That Moroccan oil one made your hair beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the review. I have seen this brand on the shelves and have wondered about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for review, definitely interested in trying this for myself! I have oily, stick straight, fine hair, and not an abundance of it. I am using the topstyler clips to create waves/curls and fake more body and volume. So despite my color, which is way overdue for a touch up, I am using Clear volume shampoo and conditioner on work days, as it seems to easily cut thru all the styling products. This might be another good one for going easier on my hair on weekends...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ive tried this product too....and not a fan only because ive had better luck with the loreal conditioning cleanser...but I always need like 12 pumps! So when pantene came out with a couple conditioning cleansers, I had to try. I LOVE the Pantene version and use it every day now. I notice that I have way less hair fallout during washing. Even with my fine hair, I still have nice body.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this stuff but cant find it anywhere in San Diego does anyone know where to find it

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig