Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Saturday, October 26, 2013

Review & Swatches: OPI Holiday 2013 Mariah Carey Collection Nail Lacquer in I Snow You Love Me

CIRCLE GLITTER! CIRCLE GLITTER! Need I say more?

OK...I'll say a little bit more. When I saw the OPI Holiday 2013 Mariah Carey Collection in person the other day (at a local beauty supply store), nothing jumped out at me until I saw I Snow You Love Me. I honestly cannot think of another mainstream polish brand that has given us circle glitter lately, can you? I'm not sure why hexagonal glitter is in 99.999999% of all mainstream glitter polishes, but it's like a breath of fresh air whenever I see square, circle, heart, star, etc. glitter instead of hex glitter.

And circle glitter that's also holographic? Well you know it had to come home with me...

OPI Holiday 2013 Mariah Carey Collection Nail Lacquer in I Snow You Love Me
(retail: around $8.99, 0.5 oz)

Circles. Glorious circles.

I decided to go simple and layer this over two coats of Revlon Urban, which is one of my favorite dark blue cremes. I topped this with two coats of NYC Grand Central Station (clear):



I LOVE this glitter topper. It's even more stunning in person when the light catches the holo glitters...aaah!

Application is tricky, because this is certainly not the type of glitter topper than you can just brush on and go. You need to dab the glitter onto your nail, piece by piece. The good news? You don't have to go "fishing" with your brush to pick up the glitter; when I pull the brush out of the bottle, there are always at least three or four pieces of glitter stuck to it (sometimes much more). The bad news? The clear base is thick and a bit goopy. So you'll have to scrape down the sides of your brush against the bottle opening while managing to keep some glitter on the brush (it's actually easier than it sounds once you get the hang of it). 

I had plenty of time to dab and push the glitter around on my nail before the base started to set, so that's a plus as well. Dry time wasn't excruciating given how thick the base is, but of course I use NYC Grand Central Station and that cuts down on dry time immensely.

FINAL VERDICT: If you love holo glitter and you love circle glitter, this one's a no-brainer. It's not a snap to apply but if you're already a glitter nail polish lover, you know the drill and this one shouldn't cause you any extra frustration. This is one polish that, in my opinion, is definitely worth the trouble.

The products featured in this post were purchased with personal funds. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

25 comments

  1. It looks like it would be a real challenge for clumsy me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easier than you think, K.!!!

      Delete
    2. Just dab some out on a plate or piece of paper and use a dotting tool to place the glitter! :)

      Delete
  2. Yes, this is on my list to get too. It is very pretty....Jen over at the Polishaholic swatched this and recommended pouring a little out on plate or something and use a dotting tool to "place" each piece of glitter where you want it so that's what I plan on doing because this is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so funny... I linked to Jen's post at the top of my post, but forgot to mention her technique! Thank you, Carol!!

      Delete
  3. That's beautiful! But the displays never make it to me...do you guys know if JCP salons get the LE displays? That's the only place I haven't checked now that I think of it :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I have no idea. I'm assuming Ulta will get it eventually, and there's always online!

      Delete
    2. My JCP Salon always gets them! And if you wait long enough they go on sale for 2/$12, but then sometimes the colors you want are sold out... So It's better to just get the ones you really want full price and check back to see what's leftover later. XD

      Delete
    3. Thanks so much! I'll definately check that out! :)

      Delete
  4. Just saying, your nails are looking long! I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the new Sinful Colors Full Spectrum, I sound this same glitter hiding! It's funny because I've worn it several times since I got it a few weeks ago, but i only just spotted it last night... lol. Yay for mainstream circle glitter!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's circle glitter in Full Spectrum???? Thank you so much for this tip!!!

      Delete
    2. I wish it wasn't so hard to photograph! I just spent a while fishing for one and finally found another one, but it's too glittery for my phone camera to handle or I'd send you a pic! They must have only put 30 in there. Lol.

      Delete
  6. These glitters are stunning! They add such a fun pizzazz to the nails!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best thing? Dotticure without a dotting tool!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this one so much! The glitters look like sequins! I plan to just use a toothpick to put the glitter on, and then swipe some base over it. Your nails are looking really great right now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This one's on my list for sure! Can't wait to play with it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I have a glitter polish like that, I apply it to a makeup sponge and then dab it onto my nails. It works really well to make sparse looking glitter more dense (:

    ReplyDelete
  11. I swear, G, I'm thinking we have a psychic connection in the mani part of our brains. I'm currently sporting OPI ISNYLM over China Glaze Blue Year's Eve. It's weird because I was wearing SC Gilded as a manicure the day that you posted about that one. Get outta my head, LOL!

    I was inspired to try this one out after subscribing to the comments on the Polish Insomniac's post. One good tip that I think bears repeating is to store the polish upside down before using it, so the glitters won't be sunk at the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can honestly say that this is my favorite OPI glitter yet! My nails look like I glued sequins to them! Looks awesome over the new silver Mariah Carey Sand

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig