Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, August 15, 2013

Review: Black Opal Even True Conceal & Brighten Under-Eye Concealer

I'm a long-time fan of Black Opal which, for those of you unfamiliar, is a very affordable beauty brand that's geared toward women of color. I am not a woman of color, but I've used lots of color cosmetics from Black Opal (as well as some skincare) over the years. I've always wanted to try some of their face cosmetics, however they're generally available in shades that are too deep for my NC20 skintone.

But then, about a month ago, I noticed that there was a shade in their new Even True Concealer line that looked like it could work for me. Sand is the lightest shade in the range, so you better believe that I immediately bought it when I saw it at Rite Aid:

 Black Opal Even True Conceal & Brighten Under-Eye Concealer in Sand
(retail: $8.95, 0.35 oz)

The Even True Conceal & Brighten Under-Eye Concealer range contains six shades. This product originally came in a box, but I somehow lost it during my testing of this product. You can see what the outer packaging looks like here.


Ingredients:
Water (Aqua), Cyclopentasiloxane, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, Butylene Glycol, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, PEG/PPG 18/18 Dimethicone, Silica, Dimethicone, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Stearic Acid, Aluminum Hydroxide, Acetyl Tetrapeptide-5, Oligopeptide-68, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Curcuma Longa (Tumeric) Root Extract, Acetyl Glucosamine, Magnesium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Chloride, Zinc Chloride, Lysine, Tocopherol, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Nylon-12, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Sodium Oleate, Phytantriol, Hexyl Laurate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Potassium Sorbate, Nylon-12 Fluorescent Brightener 230 Salt, Polyvinylalcohol Crosspolymer, Sodium Hyaluronate, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Phenoxyethanol, Hexylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol, May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499)

This concealer has a silver roller-ball applicator:


One swipe of Sand on my arm--notice there is no shimmer or sparkle to this product:




1) My eye with absolutely no makeup (aside from a mascara that I was testing at the time)
2) After "rolling" the Black Opal concealer on my eye area
3) After patting the concealer onto my skin
4) After applying a setting powder on top of the concealer

As you can see, this concealer is very yellow-toned, but I was able to make it work for me since the consistency is so thin. It's very easy to blend out, and applying setting powder and/or foundation on top of it definitely helps tone down the yellow for me.

Comparing picture #1 with picture #4, you can see that this product definitely brightens my entire eye area, but it does not fully conceal the darkness under my eyes.

This product is thin and easy to blend, and it dries down to a slightly powdery finish. Because of the thin consistency, it does not settle into my fine lines throughout the day, however it also doesn't last me a full eight hours (I have very oily skin and I tested this product during the summer, so your results may vary). I can get about 5-6 hours before I feel that this product has completely faded from my under-eye area.

This product has no noticeable fragrance.

FINAL VERDICT: If you have normal to dry skin and you're looking for a non-shimmery concealer that can brighten up the eye area, I think you might be pleased with this product. If you're looking for serious concealing of dark circles and/or your have very oily skin, this might not be the ideal match for you. The packaging is nice (I love roller-balls for eye products) however be sure to follow the instructions and press down (on the back of your hand) and squeeze before you start to roll this product under your eyes. You have to get the product to the surface of the roller-ball first because once you start applying, unless you're holding the tube in a completely vertical position, the product won't come to the surface. Overall, my favorite things about this product are that it does not settle into my fine lines, and that it truly does brighten up my entire eye area. However, because it doesn't last a full eight hours on my oily skin and it doesn't cover my darkness enough for my liking, I'm not sure I would repurchase.

Are you a Black Opal fan? Have you tried anything from the new Even True line? I'd love to hear from you!

The products featured in this post were purchased with personal funds. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Their Invisible Oil Blocking powder is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm currently using the foundation from the Even Tru Line, I have noticied any evening of my skin yet because I just started but I tried it out because I love the quality of the foundation stick but it is too much for my oily skin. I wanted a similar coverage without feeling like t was sliding off my face.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig