Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, July 26, 2013

My All-Time Favorite Jelly Nail Polishes

Ever since I wrote my "What is a jelly polish?" post, I have received requests to do a round-up of my favorite jelly polishes of all time. I'm so happy that several of you are as excited about jelly polishes as I am, and I'm thrilled to share my favorites with you (and honored that you'd ask!).

Some of these might be harder to find in your area, but you asked for my FAVORITES, so I didn't hold back. These four polishes are my absolutely favorites, for very different reasons. I was only going to choose three, but I could not narrow it down between these four, so here you go...

LA Girl Fruity Scented Nail Polish in Zesty Citrus
Ruby Kisses Neon Green
Pure Ice Once Again
(retail: $1.99; discontinued)
Zoya Roxy


Two coats of each polish (no top coat):

LA Girl Zesty Citrus, Ruby Kisses Neon Green, Pure Ice Once Again, Zoya Roxy

LA Girl Zesty Citrus: First of all, it smells like lemons! But scent aside, this is the color I used for this star jelly sandwich and that's the precise moment when I fell hard for this polish. It's a bright yellow jelly with tons of glass flecks, and it applies so smoothly without any streaking, even on the first coat.

Ruby Kisses Neon Green: Loooongtime readers might recall that I used to talk about how much I hated this polish years ago. That was before my love affair with jelly sandwiches and jellies in general. When I bought this polish years ago, I was expecting it to look as opaque on my nails as it does in the bottle. Well this baby is sheer, but I didn't appreciate how beautiful that could be until a few years later. So now it's an absolute favorite of mine (you'll see why in second).

Pure Ice Once Again: At first you may think that this is just a clear polish with lots of iridescent glitter. Just like with Neon Green, I was originally expecting Once Again to be that beautiful blue on my nails and, it wasn't, so I hated it for a long time. To my eye, this polish borders on "milky jelly" but the tint isn't super milky. You know I have a thing for light blue polishes, so it's logical that a light blue jelly is on my favorites list, eh?

Zoya Roxy: What is there not to love about a deep, dark burgundy jelly with fuchsia glitter bits? It's like blackberry jam, in polish form. Divine.

A closer look at Once Again and Roxy:


Since this is a post about my all-time favorite jelly polishes, you know I have to show what all four shades look like in a jelly sandwich, right? Right!


For my jelly sandwiches, I selected one of my top three glitter polishes of all time: NYX Girls Enchanted Forest. This polish looks like a jelly itself, but the base is actually clear once you get it on the nail:


Four jelly sandwiches:


For these jelly sandwiches, I applied two coats of jelly polish, one coat of glitter polish and then one additional coat of jelly polish (plus clear top coat to lock everything in).


Look at all those glass flecks...

Quiet possibly my favorite jelly sandwich combo of all time.


To me this looks like sea glass frozen in a lake...so ethereal, yet so blingy at the same time!

 I love how the glitter looks so suspended in the jelly (especially near the bottom of my nail)

So there you have it! My all-time favorite jelly polishes. Some are easier to find, some are more difficult, but in my humble opinion, they're ALL worth owning. 

What are YOUR favorite jelly polishes?

The products featured in this post were purchased with personal funds. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

23 comments

  1. I love jelly polishes. Thanks for sharing ur faves.

    Once Again and Roxy are super pretty! ^^
    Loving the jelly sandwich w/ Enchanted Forest and Once Again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that yellow one is GORGEOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NYX Enchanted Forest is my favorite glitter. I found a bunch of dupes at Forever 21 and bought back ups. My favorite jellies are Wet N Wild 2% Milk and OPI Care to Danse?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! Will definitely have to track these down.

    On a side note, does the name "jelly sandwich" kind of confuse anyone else? I feel like it should be called a glitter sandwich, named for the polish that is between the two layers...like, you don't call a turkey sandwich a "bread sandwich" (for the two outside layers), etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You MUST try Revlon Colorstay's Sunburst if you haven't yet! My fave - such a gorgeous deep orange!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Sea glass frozen in a lake"...love that, the sound, the idea, and the look! Kinda regret not picking up one of those fruity LA Girl shades, I always picked up the yellow and orange and then put them back in the display after choosing other things. I'll cruise RA to see if there are any marked down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just bought my 1st to jellies last week. Rite Aid has the L'Oréal on clearance. I cannot wait to make a sandwich!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoops, forgot my faves:

    WNW 2% Milk, the Loreal Jellies, the China Glaze Sunsationals (even though the formula is terrible), OPI Bubble Bath

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just came in here to say that I love Roxy and I love Enchanted Forest. When I saw those giant holo hexes in Enchanted Forest, I knew I had to have it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A brand called NY Summer puts out a line of jellies that are gorgeous and they're really really cheap. My favorite is Hot Rocket Pink. I also love the OPI Ballet collection jellies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a helpful post G! I love the way that green looks, and the combo with the glitter is so gorgeous!

    xoxo aly

    ReplyDelete
  12. actually, I saw once again, or something like it, at my walmart, but maybe SC is behind the times, lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh man i love jellies! roxy is definitely a favorite of mine too :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. G, is there a trick to having the squishy look without your nail line showing when using jellies? That's the only big turnoff I have when using them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could lay down a coat of a corresponding creme shade first, but then that would turn the overall look into more of a crelly vs a true jelly. Or you could use a milky jelly like WnW 2% and just apply multiple coats. :)

      Delete
    2. You could also try putting down a coat or two of whatever polish you can find that is closest in color to your nail bed. I think an opaque polish for that first coat would be OK, since the effect you are trying to achieve is a smooth, even, bare nail color that extends all the way to your tips *before* you lay down the squishy jelly. Just make sure that it dries all the way before you add the jelly, so that it won't get picked up along the way and muddy up the jelly effect. Maybe a clear topcoat in between would help prevent that. This is also something I want to try, now that I've thought of it. I'm not a fan of visible nail line myself, so I usually just apply way too many coats of the jelly. :-)

      Delete
  15. Southerngirl, I had a thought that I think I want to try, too. What about a modified jelly/glitter sandwich, with the glitter only on the tips? You would have the pure squishiness above the tip, and the suspended in space look of the glitter below that. Could be very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, on paper this sounds GORGEOUS!!! I would just be sure to use a glitter that's small and doesn't require a lot of dabbing. Otherwise, I can see my tips getting super goopy and thick.

      If you do this, PLEASE let me know how it comes out? :)

      Delete
    2. I will!

      And...I found another pretty jelly at Dollar Tree that you may want to check out. It's one of the Nail Pops/Cutie Girl polishes that my local DT has started carrying regularly, and it's called Tangerine Blossom. And...tangerine pretty much sums up the color. To me, it looks a lot like the Ruby Kisses jellies.

      Be aware that for some reason, the color names for these polishes are on the cardboard backing to the package, but *not* on the bottles. Since I have trouble remember what I do or don't already have, I've started stickering these bottles and writing the color names on the stickers. This is where polish hoarding and OCD intersect. :-)

      Delete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig