Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Saturday, August 18, 2012

Saturday is Jelly Sandwich Day

It's the weekend, so once again it's time for me to bust out my non-work-appropriate manicures! As promised, I'm going to show you two jelly sandwiches today, and I'm curious to know which one you like better.

NOTE: for those of you unfamiliar with the term "jelly sandwich", please click here for a full definition with photos of one of my previous jelly sandwiches.

First up, I like to call this one Lemon Shooting Stars:


For this jelly sandwich, I used the following two polishes in this order:

1 coat of LA Girl Fruity Scented Nail Polish in Zesty Citrus
1 coat of NYX Girls  CN240 (discontinued)
1 coat of LA Girl Fruity Scented Nail Polish in Zesty Citrus

And that's it! The LA Girl polish is so wonderfully pigmented that I really only needed two "slices" of  "bread" in this jelly sandwich. Super easy. If you don't have the NYX Girls star polish, any large, chunky polish will do (the multi-colored stars in the Fergie Wet n Wild collection would look awesome with this). Just make sure that the glitter you select is in a clear base, so it doesn't interfere with the color of the jelly polish you're using (unless you want it to, of course).

PS: All of the LA Girl Fruity Scented Polishes are on sale over at Cherry Culture right now. If you want to see bottle shots to see which shades are jellies, click here.




Next up, I like to call this one The Foggy Mermaid:


For this jelly sandwich, I used the following two polishes in this order:

2 coats of Revlon Sheer Seafoam (limited edition from the Gucci Westman Summer 2012 Escapism Collection)
1 coat of Jordana Cosmic
2 coats of Revlon Sheer Seafoam
(I definitely recommend a layer of quick-dry top coat with this one, otherwise it's going to take a while to dry)

Back in April when Revlon Sheer Seafoam first came out, there were a lot of people who were terribly disappointed with it due to its sheerness. This was totally understandable because you just can't achieve the color in the bottle on your actual nails, no matter how may coats you use. BUT, I still wanted to buy it, because all I could see in this sheer blue polish was a jelly sandwich. Sheer Seafoam is definitely sheer, but I love the subtle, hazy, glazy look it gives the glitter in Jordana Cosmic.




So, which of the two jelly sandwiches do you prefer? Or are jelly sandwiches just not your thing? Either way, I'd love to hear from you!

Some of the polishes featured in this post were given to Nouveau Cheap for previous reviews.
SHARE:

29 comments

  1. They both look terrific! But since I can't stand scented polishes, I'm going to have to go with the blue. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the lemon stars-- it looks neat and I've never seen anything like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not into jelly sandwiches so much myself, but of these two, I prefer the Foggy Mermaid because of the awesome green. I love greens, especially light seafoamy green and teal (as I may have mentioned)! I also have come to like sage and olive shades on my nails. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks! LOL ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely love Lemon Shooting Stars. It reminds me of a lemon jelly roll. Yummy and perfect for the remaining summer days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huh... I never thought to do this. Well, I need to get myself some jelly polishes and try this one out myself. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the yellow one because it's different. And I'm really into stars right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Lemon Shooting Stars! Normally I'm not too much into yellow polish, but this one is a pretty lemon yellow. And I love anything with stars! I just got Zoya Katherine and I'm looking forward to experimenting with some jelly sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both are really nice, and I love the names! I never thought to name my mani creations! I think my favorite is Shooting Stars, but I prefer the colors of Mermaid. :) I really to get some more jellies, and perhaps the WnW star polish. Thanks for the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh, they all are super cute and I'd wear them all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both are super pretty and well done - if I had to choose, I'd pick the yellow - I love the sparkle!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look so fun! I think my fave jelly is the first one, this reminds me of lemon, sugar covered gelèes and the stars are cute on the nails!
    Great job!!!
    xoxo
    ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the Lemon Shooting Stars! It looks really cute and fun. And it looks super jelly-like.

    You definitely make me wanna try jelly sandwiches too~ :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never done this before but will have to try it now if I can figure out which of my polishes are jellies. I like the nice lemon one best--such an unusual colour for nails and so cheery!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love jelly sammiches! The Foggy Mermaid is more my style,because yellow polish doesn't look good with my skin tone :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love them both! I can't get enough of the jelly sandwich look right now :) I have Zesty Citrus so I may just have to make a sandwich with it after seeing yours. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love both. Love the jelly sandwich look.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous! I absolutely have to have that Sheer Seafoam. Need to keep an eye out for it in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love both but the way the stars look suspended in Lemon Shooting Stars is so awesome!

    I didn't know Saturday is Jelly Sandwich Day but ironically I tried out my first one today, and it's my recreation of your Sanrio Little Twin Stars mani. :]

    ReplyDelete
  19. Both are very pretty but really liking the yellow with the stars!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Both look great but I absolutely love Lemon Shooting Stars! I wish I could recreate it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  21. They are both so darned gorgeous!!!!! There is no way I can pick a favorite! So creative G! Great job on both!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have the orange and peach of the LA Girls. I got them at Gordmans for $3.50 or so. This was a few months ago, but they may still have them. Really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi G! I love your jelly sandwiches, and have tried versions of them many times myself with mixed results. The glitter polishes for the sandwiches aren't an issue, but I have problems with my "bread". I can't seem to find good jelly polishes to use that aren't either too dark/bright or too light. The deeper colors while gorgeous on their own just overpower any glitter I try, and the pale colors just look like clear polish or milky polish. I would love it if you could do a post with your favorite jelly polishes so I have a list to work from!

    ReplyDelete
  24. OH These are to DIE FOR! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh these are TO DIE FOR! Great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig