Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Review: Three nude polishes from Sally Hansen

When Sally Hansen relaunched their Complete Salon Manicure line back in November of 2012, I didn't really notice these three shades in the display. You know me--my eyes always go to the sparkly and/or "nontraditional" colors and I often skip right over the nudes.

But let's rewind back to Oscar Night 2013 and this post that I did about the Complete Salon Manicure polishes that some of the celebrities attending the event wore on their nails that night. I was sent the three CSM shades featured in that post for review, and I have to say that I'm happy these were given to me because I usually walk right past these on my weekly trips to the drugstore, There are a few really nice, work-friendly colors here--take a peek:

Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure Nail Colors in Almost Almond, Sheer Ecstasy, Mudslide
(retail: around $7.99 each, 0.5 oz)

Let's start with Almost Almond:

(three coats, no top coat)

 Almost Almond

Looking at this one in the bottle, I immediately thought "OK, it's your basic soft beige creme." But once I got it on the nail, I realized why this is called Almost Almond. It's not quite almond, but it's also not just a regular beige. It's got this lovely, soft shimmer that looks pinkish-golden when the light hits it just right. In person , this color has a soft, glowing look to it. Granted, it's sheer (you can see some streaks and visible nail line in this photo) but in person, I find that application flaws aren't as visible to the naked eye--it's like the shimmer sort disguises the flaws or something? I don't know how else to explain it. Anyway, it's a lovely shade and I can see it working on a variety of different skintones as well. Dry time was very good on the first coat, good on the second coat and average on the third.

Next up, Sheer Ecstasy:

(three coats, no top coat)

Sheer Ecstasy

I'm no expert at applying sheer, nude shades (given my tastes when it comes to nail colors, you can obviously understand why!). I had some issues with leveling and you can also see a few streaks even after three coats. That said, if you're used to wearing sheer, nude shades, you might have better luck with this polish. I do love the look of it, however I definitely suggest applying a quick-dry top coat when you're done because, after three coats, this one took a long to dry on its own.

Last but not least, we have Mudslide:

(two coats, no top coat)

 Mudslide

I'm the first one to admit that dusty rose and mauve shades are not high on my list of polish must-haves. Generally speaking, those types of shades feel very dated to me and bring me right back to the 80s when the drugstores were flooded with them. However, something about Mudslide feels modern to me, and I think I finally figured it out. It has less pink to it than other shades of this nature, yet it's not all the way into the terraccota end of the spectrum. It's like it's walking a razor's edge between dusty rose and terracotta, and I think that's a difficult feat to accomplish! Anyway, I am totally surprised by how much I like this shade, and bonus: it's a one-coater! But of course I applied two, just because I don't ever feel right wearing one coat of any polish. The formula on this one is buttery and a dream to work with. Dry time is great as well, even on the second coat. I'm actually wearing this polish right now and, on day three of this manicure, I haven't even come close to growing tried of it. Weird, right??

FINAL VERDICT: If you're in the market for some new work-friendly nail polishes, I say give Almost Almond and Mudslide a look the next time you're at the drugstore. They're surprisingly lovely and they both feel like fresh, modern takes on classic colors. I wouldn't recommend Sheer Ecstasy unless you are a pro at applying sheer, nude colors. Otherwise, you might get frustrated by the self-leveling issues and streaks, even after three coats.

Do you own any of these Complete Salon Manicure shades? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.Blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

15 comments

  1. I love mudslide. Perfect nude color for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Sheer Ectasy and Mudslide.. the funny thing is.. I HAVE Mudslide and haven't come around to wearing it yet!! I have so many polishes..but I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another one that I think is great, for us cooler-toned folks, is Gray-t Escape. Very easy application, full coverage, a cool-toned pink-nude.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Almost Almond reminds me of that oldie but goodie OPI Figi Wee Jee Fawn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the pearly finish of almost almond!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Almost Almond is lovely! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mudslide is surprisingly nice. A "granny shade" some might say, lol. Glad I passed it up though bc it looks just like the batch of Revlon Top Speed in Cheers that I have. I said batch bc looking up swatches online will have Cheers appearing more pink in some pics while in others looking more like Mudslide which is how my bottle is. Maybe its just some peoples camera settings? G. I totally remember when polishes like Mudslide where all the rage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, too, passed up Almost Almond and Sheer Ecstasy, since I'm a blue/green/teal girl. Funny enough, I owned a bottle of Mudslide before they revamped the line and hated the way it looked on me. Could be my very fair skin. Anyway, I will hunt down Almost Almond next time my CVS $5 extrabucks coupon prints (which will be this weekend, given the number of scripts I have in trying to control my asthma and allergies this spring!

    Thanks for pointing these out, G! You always hit the mark when it comes to products that are affordable AND terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to say that I really love the brushes on this brand even though alot of people don't. I find myself gravitating to them often.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have sheer ecstasy and you did a much better job with it than i did. I think i may have to try almost almond next. I LOVE the csm line but i had a hard time leveling out the color on sheer ecstasy as well. you have to have the exact perfect amount of polish on the brush for each nail and i don't have the time or patience for that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are all pretty. Especially Sheer Ecstasy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Also wanted to mention that I like the new CSM brushes. They help me cover the nail in one swipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mudslide looks beautiful, kind of like essence's english rose <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have Wet n Wild Megalast polish in Sugar Coat- it looks like a perfect dupe of Sheer Ecstacay, but 1 coat instead of 3.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig