Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, May 3, 2013

Review & Comparisons: Maybelline Limited Edition Summer 2013 Color Show Nail Color in Poolside

Continuing my coverage of the Summer 2013 Color Show polishes I purchased at Bed Bath & Beyond a while back (click here to see the display) today I'd like to show you some swatches of the shade Poolside, with some comparisons to other light blues in my stash.

If you'd like to see my post about the Summer 2013 shade Mint Mist (with comparisons), click here.

 
Maybelline Summer 2013 Limited Edition Color Show Nail Lacquer in Poolside
(retail: $2.99 at Bed, Bath & Beyond, 0.23 oz)

975 Poolside

Two coats, no top coat:


Poolside is a very pale blue creme and, unlike Mint Mist, this one only took two coats for the opacity you see above. Overall, this is a much easier polish to work with than Mint Mist, but there were a few self-leveling issues that you can see if you look closely (again, these can be remedied with a good top coat). Dry time on the first coat was great, and decent on the second coat. The formula is a touch thick, but not bad at all. I love this color, but it does bring out the lobster claws (red skintone) in my fingers.

Some comparisons:

Sally Hansen Air, OCC A.V., Maybelline Poolside, Pure Ice Bikini

I have A LOT of light blue polishes, but I specifically chose these three to compare to Poolside because they're some of the palest blues in my collection. I know that OCC A.V. is actually more of a pale gray but in certain lights it can look blue, so that's why I threw it in there.


As you can see, Sally Hansen Air is warmer and also has subtle shimmer. OCC A.V. is much more gray, and also contains fine glitter (which actually just looks like texture when on the nail). Pure Ice Bikini (which is new for 2013--you can see my review here) is the closest to Poolside, but it's a shade darker and a bit cooler. And if you're curious, Sinful Colors Cinderella is warmer and darker than Poolside, plus it has that pretty shimmer.

FINAL VERDICT: If you like very pale blues, Poolside would be a nice one to pick up. It's got a decent formula that's easy to apply (especially for a light-colored creme) and opaque in two coats. I'm happy I purchased it because, as you can see, I don't have a clear dupe in my collection. I think this color would look amazing on deeper skintones and it also would be fun to layer with glitters.

You can now find the Maybelline Limited Edition Summer 2013 Color Show polishes at Bed Bath & Beyond, Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid and other retailers that carry Maybelline.

Do you own any of the Summer 2013 Color Show polishes? Do you have any favorites?

The product featured in this post was purchased with personal funds. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

5 comments

  1. Thank you for mentioning Cinderella. I immediately thought of it when I saw Poolside on your nails. Thanks for the comparison swatches. I own SH Air, and I love it much more than Poolside now that I have seen them together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this color. So glad I picked it up. Can't wait to try it this summer with a tan...think it'll look pretty. Thanks, G for the review ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. How does Poolside compare to Sally Hansen Barracuda? It looks a bit softer and more grayed out but, it's hard to tell in photos. Barracuda seems to be a bit more green with less white.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder how this would compare to Essie Borrowed and Blue...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous color. My next $5. extrabucks is coming soon for 10 Rx's (we take a lot of medication in my house!), so I hope they don't sell out. I do have Cinderella and love it, too. Can you tell I'm not a fan of pinks?

    Now, if only my darn nails would stop breaking.....

    G, or anyone reading this, can you recommend an affordable product to stop my nails from breaking at the corners and tips, please? Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig