Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Maybelline ColorSensational Vivids Neon Red vs. Vivids Limited Edition Pop of Cherry

By now, I'm sure that most of you have seen the PERMANENT Maybelline ColorSensational Vivids Lipstick collection at your local drugstores. And if you read my blog last week, you know that Maybelline just released some Limited Edition shades in the Fashion Week Spring 2013 Color Goes Electric Collection.

I've been hearing various reports about these LE shades. Some of you have said that they're a bit more pigmented than the permanent collection shades, while some of you have said that the colors in the LE collection are so similar to those in the permanent collection that you probably don't need both. I've also heard that the LE shades have a different flavor/fragrance, so I finally just said to myself, "I need to do a comparison and get to the bottom of this!" 

So I purchased the permanent shade Red Neon, and a very similar-looking shade (in the tube at least) from the LE Color Goes Electric collection called Pop of Cherry. Here's a comparison for you:

Maybelline ColorSensational Vivids in Neon Red 
Maybelline ColorSensational Limited Edition Vivids in Pop of Cherry
(retail: $7.99 each, 0.15 oz)


Keep reading to see the comparison...


 Neon Red (left), Pop of Cherry (right)

Looking at these shades in the tube, it's clear that Neon Red looks like more of a true red, while Pop of Cherry looks like more of a tomato red.

But as they say, DO NOT JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER. Because as you're about to see, the tube shades are far from representative of the shades you'll see on your lips!


  What!?!?!

It turns out that Neon Red (the shade that looks like a blue-based red in the tube) is actually a tomato red on the skin, while Pop of Cherry (which looks like a warm tomato red in the tube) is more of a blue-toned pinky-fuchsia! What a mind-scrambler, right?



Today was a minimal makeup day for me but I wanted to show you a quick, end-of-the-day pic (most of my makeup has already worn off) wearing Pop of Cherry:

 Gross, end-of-day face made tolerable with one swipe of Pop of Cherry!

The reason why I'm showing you this yucky pic of myself is to illustrate that just the one pop of color you get from Pop of Cherry is enough to wake up my entire face. The shade is even prettier in person--I can't really put it into words, but YOU KIND OF NEED THIS LIPSTICK.

I'm actually not that crazy about Neon Red, but only because I have so many other shades in my collection that resemble this color. But Pop of Cherry? That shade is really something special--you MUST try it on to see what I'm talking about. If you spot it at your drugstores, I would seriously consider grabbing it while you can since, once again, this one is Limited Edition.

OK, enough raving...let's get back to the comparison:

The Maybelline Vivids are known for their intense, one-swipe pigmentation. But as for the opinion that the Limited Edition shades are a bit more pigmented than the permanent collection shades, I actually think this may differ on a case-by-case basis. For example, I find that Neon Red (permanent) is actually a touch more pigmented than Pop of Cherry (Limited Edition). That's not to say that Pop of Cherry is weakly pigmented--no, no, no! Pop of Cherry is crazy pigmented, but Neon Red is just a touch more pigmented.

As for the flavor of the permanent vs. Limited Edition shades, I think they actually taste identical. However, the fragrance of the LE shade that I own (Pop of Cherry) is noticeably stronger and has a more dominant vanilla note. Smelling them side-by-side, it's almost as if the permanent shade (Neon Red) doesn't have any fragrance at all, because the vanilla fragrance of the LE shade Pop of Cherry is so dominant.

Do you need both Neon Red and Pop of Cherry? Well, if you love bright, bold shades and you love both tomato reds and blue-based pinky-fuchsias, then YES, you do need both. These lipsticks are all kinds of amazing and the pigmentation is stellar (bonus: they wear down extremely evenly and leave a beautiful, soft stain behind).  But if you normally gravitate toward one or the other (warm reds vs. blue-toned pinks) then at least now you'll know exactly which one to grab if you spot these at the drugstore! I personally wish I could buy each and every one of you reading this right now a tube of Pop of Cherry. That's how much I love it. But that's just me...

Do you own any permanent or Limited Edition Vivids lipsticks? I'd love to hear which ones are your favorites!
SHARE:

36 comments

  1. This returns me to my dilemma with Flash of Fuchsia and Electric Fuchsia! I have a feeling I'm going to cave in and buy the LE anyway the second I see it, though. T_T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't think they are available in Australia yet. Will definetly check out though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was contemplating purchasing Pop of Cherry this week! What a coincidence! Does it compare to Cherries In The Snow from Revlon?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vivid Rose looks a lot Fifth Ave Fuchsia in the promos...I will have to check these out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have both Vivid Rose and Fifth Ave. Fuchsia and they do not look alike. Vivid Rose is definitely brighter and more pink whereas Fifth Ave. Fuchsia is deeper and more plumy.

      Here's my swatches of them next to each other (as well as a comparison of Brazen Berry and Revlon's Berry Haute: http://tinypic.com/r/rhvpyu/6

      Delete
  5. Same here, Nikki. Does anyone have a swatch comparison of those two yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally found "Electric Fuchsia" and bought it (of course lol) so I was able to do a comparison myself. I have pictures on my blog if you're interested but, in a nutshell, the two are extremely similar (to me at least). If anything, "Fuchsia Flash" is just a tad brighter than "Electric Fuchsia."

      Delete
  6. Pop of Cherry is lovely on you! I can definitely see why you like it so much :) However, it looks like the kind of shade that would turn bright pink on me - quite a lot of pink-based reds do, unfortunately. So, Neon Red is probably more my style. Thanks for the great review and swatches!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks fabulous on you honey!! well..now I that's one more thing I have to look for..lol..you are bad for my wallet!!
    xoxo
    Ann-Marie

    ReplyDelete
  8. i also have both and was afraid that they would be too similar, but neon red is also orangey on me whereas pop of cherry is neon coral pink on my lips :0

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so pretty! I don't know why you don't show your face more. :) Love the color by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I understand the desire for anonymity, though.

      Delete
  10. Pop of Cherry is lovely on you! I'm afraid of wearing it. Red lipstick, really bright vibrant red lipstick, scares me and I never wear it. I can do sheer reds but opaque reds...it's not that they don't look good on me, it's that I'm afraid of wearing them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i just figured out the Vivid line is permanent based on the display at my CVS- hallelujah, I LOVE this line but I want to spread out buying every colour- and this comparison is so interesting and well done! thanks G, you really have our backs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, man. I have been avoiding buying lipstick. But now I have to run out and get Pop of Cherry!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha! It's one of those fine examples of "things don't always seem as they appear~~" Crazy how that happens for some lip products in general! Anyway, I'm not quite sure how Neon Red would look on my light medium skin, but I know I would love Pop of Cherry on me. That said, I better go out and get this shade before it's gone. x)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pop of cherry looks amazing on you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I actually bought Pop of Cherry a few days ago thinking that it would be a coral-y red type color, but waited for swatches online before I wore it (so that I could return it if it turned out to be an unflattering color). After seeing this swatch I exchanged it for Orange Edge since fuchsias and blue-based reds look awful on me. Not quite sure what Orange Edge looks like either, so I'm patiently waiting for swatches of that one too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depending on where you buy makeup, Xerodi, you can return it with a receipt, even if you've used it. I've done that for face creams with too much fragrance, lipsticks I didn't like the shade of, and so on. Most stores are pretty good about it.

      Delete
    2. Return policy is actually pretty bad where I live. The only places around to buy regular drugstore cosmetics are Walgreens and Walmart, neither of which accept returns on used cosmetics even though they do in the states. There's a CVS an hour away, but I'd rather wait than drive over there, lol.

      Delete
  16. Wow, the tube appearance vs. the swatches, it's the opposite of what I'd expect. Love the Neon Red, though. But it reminds me a lot of the Revlon Lip Butter in Candy Apple, albeit a bit more opaque.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wonder how this would work on me? Hmmmmm... Thanks G!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I got Pop of Cherry today based on this rave and I really love it. It's so vibrant and really unlike any other color I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Is the smell of these different from the original Maybelline ColorSensational Lipsticks? I've never had any from the "Vivid" line before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very slightly different, a little more "floral" smelling, but also less strong.

      Delete
  20. Your photo is most certainly NOT yucky!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I literally just got back from my closest Walgreens after stalking them for daaaays! In the LE display, they had 3 "Pop of Cherry" and I grabbed 2! Grabbing Limited Editions is not a game but a sport! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  22. G, this color is so far outside my comfort zone, but you haven''t steered me wrong yet, so I bought it today. Now if I could only get up the courage to wear it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just got the Pop of Cherry yesterday and it looks like an electric, neon, fuchsia on me. :(

    But I may be able to use it to brighten up paler lip shades I have.

    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm having such a hard time finding this collection in North San Diego County any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just got Pop of Cherry and mine leans much more orange - very interesting! I will be watching for other swatches to see if there seems to be multiple versions!

    ReplyDelete
  26. mary katherine: yeah I'm looking at other swatches online and they all seem to show pop of cherry as far more orange or coral...weird...

    ReplyDelete
  27. pop of cherry looks crazy neon pink on me, especially after it wears off. not saying it's a bad thing, just unexpected from the color of the bullet. i have all but am just missing 1 LE color from vivids! crazy >_<

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig