Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Review: Maybelline Master Drama Cream Pencil in Midnight Master

I actually purchased this liner at CVS a while back just for my own personal use, without thinking that I was ever going to review it on the blog. Longtime readers might recall that the lovely Katie from My Lips But Better did a guest review of this liner when it first debuted back in the summer of 2011.

However, after I used it a few times, I realized that there were some good and bad things about this particular liner that I thought might be worth sharing. So...here's my review!

 Maybelline Master Drama by Eyestudio Cream Pencil in Midnight Master
(retail: around $8, .01 oz)

My full review, after the jump...



This is a standard automatic pencil that twists up but, unlike some other automatic liners I own, this one doesn't contain a sharpener on the opposite end of the pencil (not a deal-breaker for me personally because I very rarely use those types of sharpeners). Also, I'm not sure if I bought a faulty pencil or if this is the case with all of them, but once you twist up the "lead" in the pencil, it does not retract.
Liner after several uses.

First let me show you what this product looks like after my standard "rub test". For this test, I drew a thin line and a thick line, let them set for about five minutes and then, with my index finger, I rubbed the lines as hard as I could, back and forth, for about five seconds:



Not bad at all. Very, very light smudging, but I'm impressed considering how intense this black is (it looks a little bit lighter in my pics but in person it's a very deep, dark, true black). Usually black liners this dark and pigmented can smudge like crazy, so again this one surprised me.

As for ease of use, this liner is true to its claims. It glides across the lids effortlessly with absolutely no tugging or pulling. It's a rich, creamy liner and, again, the pigmentation is superb.

Now for why I'm writing this review: 

I had heard from some of you, as well as from some other bloggers, that this liner was excellent for the waterline. As many of you know, after trying every drugstore liner that's been raved about as "the best liner ever for the waterline", the only liner that truly works for me and stays put on my waterline for eight hours or more is my beloved Palladio liner. But I'm always interested in automatic liners for the waterline because, well, I'm lazy. I love my automatic liners!

The first time I used this liner, I applied it right before going out to dinner. I used it on my upper lashline and also on my waterline. After four hours, I checked the mirror and EEK! That was all I could say. This liner had found its way to my lower lashline (remember, I hadn't applied any liner to my lower lashline; only to my upper lashline and waterline) and it had smudged so badly that it looked like I had been crying. As for my waterline, I could only see very faint traces of it--I really had to look closely to see any remnants of this liner on my waterline after four hours.

This just further supports my opinion that there will never be one eyeliner (drugstore, mid-level or high-end) that truly works for everyone. For some of you, this is probably a Holy Grail product. I can't even use my oily skin as a reason for why this liner didn't work for me, because I've heard from people with skin just as oily as mine who love this product. What it really comes down to is body chemistry, what moisturizer(s) you use, what foundation, concealer, shadows, primers, etc. you use, and how all of those things interact with each other before you apply your liner (and of course don't forget about your climate, temperature, humidity, etc., which all play a vital role in the staying power of eyeliner). For me, this eyeliner didn't work for any other area but my upper lashline. But for you? Who knows!

FINAL VERDICT: After over a dozen applications, I can say without a doubt that this product didn't work for my waterline and I haven't been compelled to use it on my lower lashline given how easily it smudges and runs when applied to only my upper lashline and waterline. However, I've heard from many, many people who love this liner, so I would never try to talk you out of purchasing it. Just be sure that you buy it at Walgreens, CVS or Rite Aid because you can return used beauty products there, no questions asked. Try it, see if it works, and if it doesn't? Exchange it. I do think it's at least worth a try, because the pigmentation is superb, and it also glides across the skin effortlessly. Two big pluses for sure. And a third plus? Maybelline goes on sale just about every other week at one of the big three drugstore chains, and you can always find coupons for Maybelline products to combine with a sale. In fact, there's a printable coupon available at the time of this post for $1 off any Maybelline eyeliner.

Do you own any Maybelline Master Drama Cream Pencils? If so, please share your experiences with us!
SHARE:

25 comments

  1. I have this liner & really love it, but I've recently discovered the LOreal Voluminous Smoldering Eye liner & that stays put better for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! I love love LOreal Voluminous Smoldering Eye liner it's amazing, haha.

      Delete
    2. I keep hearing how great that liner is...you two are definitely making me want to try it! Thanks! :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the heads up! I have given up on finding anything to stay on my waterline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried this liner earlier this year and it didn't work for me either. The eyeliner wouldn't even twist up for me..not sure if I just got a bad one, so I returned it. Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I totally forgot to mention that I have trouble sometimes with twisting it up too. Not every time though...just sometimes. :/

      Delete
  4. I agree that I don't like that it doesn't retract. But the both times I've purchased it, the cap itself cracked to the point that I couldn't cap the eyeliner and I wasn't pushing that hard. Did that happen to you? I used this for my waterline and it didn't work for me either, and I live in humid San Antonio, TX weather. I like the Master Drama Gel Eyeliner; better staying power on the eyelid. I'm trying out NYC Waterproof Eyeliner Pencil for the waterline and I got better results. I also recently purchased Avon Glimmersticks Waterproof eyeliner to try for the waterline, since it was on sale for $2.99.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That hasn't happened to me (yet) but it's sounding like there are some design flaws with these, huh? :(

      Delete
    2. Yeah, and this is the only eyeliner that has done that to me. When I first bought it, I thought it was a fluke. Then I purchased it at another location (First bought at Walmart, second time CVS), and it did the same thing!!! They need to make a sturdier cap.

      Delete
  5. I can't even get expensive eyeliners like MUFE Aqua Eyes to stay on my waterline. One eyeliner that I do feel has great staying power - Sonia Kashuk eyeliners. They come in some pretty colors and stay all day for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have had the same reaction after looking in the mirror and seeing this liner smudged around my lower lash line! I actually really love the purple shade of this liner and use it almost every day. Never had a problem with it smudging and it is a great color for brown eyes.

    And as for sharpening, I believe there is a hidden "sharpener" (more like a plastic shaper, I guess) in the cap. As someone previously commented, the cap can crack easily and the sharpener/shaper sometimes comes out with my liner when I take the cap off :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad i'm not alone! And wow, there's a hidden sharpener INSIDE the cap? I tried looking inside mine but couldn't see anything. How do you work it?? Do you just twist up the liner and then put the cap back on and start turning it? Thanks!

      Delete
    2. I don't know if you're meant to work it lol! I think it just helps to keep the dome shape of the liner. I noticed the shaper from my purple one. For instance, I don't retract the liner (didn't occur to me that I should) and just put the cap back on. When I go to use it next time, it's still domed from my previous use. Perhaps it keeps the liner from being smashed by the cap? What's funny is that I accidentally broke the tip of the black liner at some point and it left the tip flat. I don't use it too much so it's still flat lol. Perhaps they forgot it in the black one? haha

      Hope that helps :)

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the review.. I've been trying new liners since our fav Palladio does not come in the colors I want (green and purple, their purple is very pink and not flattering in my wl). Since I only wear in TL/WL 90% of the time.. and have sensitive eyes and oily skin.. it's been difficult. I recently bought UD 24hr in a deluxe sample.. and it's ok- very pigmented but lasts a bit less than Palladio, moves around a bit more, and is harder to remove what is left at the end of the day. All in all I say not worth the money, unless you absolutely adore one of their unique colors or get them in a set. Also NYX slide on liners which were very comparable to the UD (but much cheaper) in case anyone is curious..they do come in some gorgeous colors- I really like Jewel which is a soft warm purple and Golden Olive which is pretty much what it says. I have heard great things about Avon supershock.. but they are not available in the US. Lisa I would love to hear your thoughts on the glimmersticks waterproof once you get a chance to try it, they were next on my list of possibles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey hun, have you tried the Prestige Total Intensity liners as an alternative to our Palladios? They have two shades of green (foresty teal and golden olive). I really love those liners. :)

      Delete
    2. I've never tried the Palladios but clearly I must do so right away! I started having bad allergies with teary eyes the last few years and every single eye liner runs on me. I think NASA could "weaponize" whatever chemical components are in my salty, oily tears because they will break down anything. So far the best has been Urban Decay 24/7 pencil liners (and also Milani Liquefy with exact same formula) but they will run too if my eyes are very teary. Stila waterproof liquid liner, Kat Von D liquid liner, E.L.F. liquid liner, WetnWild H2O-proof liquid liner, Sephora gel liner, Bobbi Brown gel liner, Essence gel liner, MUFE Aqua Eyes liner, Too Faced Perfect Pencil eyeliner, and a bunch of others, I'm sure -- I've tried them all. Most of those, if they are swatched on my hand, they can last up to 24 hours with my washing my hands with soap and water throughout the day. But if I put them on my upper and lower lashline, they will run at the outer corners, both upper & lower, making me look crazy. I haven't tried Nars but a Sephora girl said it ran on her and I haven't tried NYC slide on pencils. I think I've sortof given up and now I'm just trying to grow my lashes. But hey, if you ladies like Palladio, I'm going to give them a try!

      Delete
  8. This also ran and smudged on me. I know a lot of women have had good experiences with them but I definitely did not get the same performance. I do like the texture, color and the way it applies. Just wish it was more long lasting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. G!!! Long time, no comment! :-D

    I have to say, I bought this e/l for the exact same reason as you (rumor that it was awesome for the waterline) ... and while it didn't run down my face, it didn't stay on my waterline, either :-/ *cue the sad trombone wah wah waaaaaah*

    What I DO love about this e/l, however, is that it is THE best automatic pencil (or ANY pencil, really) that I've used -- it's creamy, has great slip, and does not budge from my upper lashline. Once I apply it, it's there for life. I use it to create a winged look, and use a fine tipped angled liner brush (I think from e.l.f.?) to create a polished line. Perfection!

    What I've been using on MY waterline with pretty great success was a tip I picked up from Temptalia's site: I dip my L'oreal e/l (the big fat chunky one that recently came out ... you know, the one whose name I have no clue about? :-p )into my little pot of Maybelline gel e/l, and apply the gel e/l WITH my pencil e/l ... it really seems to work amazingly well! I'd never have thought to do such a thing, but had nothing to lose, so ...

    ... that being said, now I need to go look at those Palladio liners you mentioned, because, apparently, if it ain't broken, I STILL need to try and fix it *rolls eyes at myself*

    And there you have it: feast or famine posting from Le Moi. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  10. G!!! Long time, no comment! :-D

    I have to say, I bought this e/l for the exact same reason as you (rumor that it was awesome for the waterline) ... and while it didn't run down my face, it didn't stay on my waterline, either :-/ *cue the sad trombone wah wah waaaaaah*

    What I DO love about this e/l, however, is that it is THE best automatic pencil (or ANY pencil, really) that I've used -- it's creamy, has great slip, and does not budge from my upper lashline. Once I apply it, it's there for life. I use it to create a winged look, and use a fine tipped angled liner brush (I think from e.l.f.?) to create a polished line. Perfection!

    What I've been using on MY waterline with pretty great success was a tip I picked up from Temptalia's site: I dip my L'oreal e/l (the big fat chunky one that recently came out ... you know, the one whose name I have no clue about? :-p )into my little pot of Maybelline gel e/l, and apply the gel e/l WITH my pencil e/l ... it really seems to work amazingly well! I'd never have thought to do such a thing, but had nothing to lose, so ...

    ... that being said, now I need to go look at those Palladio liners you mentioned, because, apparently, if it ain't broken, I STILL need to try and fix it *rolls eyes at myself*

    And there you have it: feast or famine posting from Le Moi. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this liner, but like you I am not crazy about the way it worked on the upper or lower waterline. I looked like I slept in eye makeup! Haha. I wish Almay would remake my holy grail eye liner the Bright Eyes liner duo in black and white. OMG I miss it! It was so black and smooth and how it stayed on the waterline! Oh well...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I also have trouble with it staying on the waterline..... It disappears within an hour or so and ends up smudged all in the outer corners of my waterline..... I have the best luck with Milani Liquifye pencils for my waterline

    ReplyDelete
  13. I seriously hate this liner, it doesn't work for me at all. I have my hg one (rev colorstay mechanical pencil) but I like to try out new ones but this one! Ugh! It was horrible for me as a contact wearer, it got on my contact and wouldn't come off, I had to go home and change my contacts after I washed off all my hard work. I know for most contact users this was an issue as well

    ReplyDelete
  14. I grabbed this at the drugstore the other day.. back on a TL/WL liner try out. I adore Palladio but there is only one (really awful) Sally's in my town, which is the only place that carries the brand, and they are always out of the black. It's been six hours and it hasn't budged. Not even any slippage at the corners of my eyes, which is my weakest link. Of course I adore the automatic, I detest sharpening.. constantly either breaking off the tip or leaving sharp points on the wood and jabbing or scratching myself.. not fun.

    I have had a lot better performance out of my liners lately though, and I wonder if my new eye priming routine might be helping. First a dab of Milk of Magnesia on the lid, then eye primer from the brow all the way around the eye to include where my concealer is applied. I find that not only is creasing and fading a thing of the past.. my shadow is bulletproof now, no matter what the weather- but my concealer covers better, doesn't crease, and lasts longer- and my mascara is holding up better as well. I think the oil production of the lid is affecting the entire area over the course of the day, and blocking it is the key to solving a lot of the problems I had.

    I also tried the Milani liquid eye (used to be liquify) and I think they changed the formula. I had no irritation at all, and the older version drove my eyes crazy. It too lasted all day and did not budge, but it was a beast to take off, I was scrubbing for several minutes and my eyes were not happy with me by the time I finally got the last of it.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig