Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Review: L'Oreal Limited Edition Project Runway Fall 2012 Nail Color in The Temptress' Power

I'm not quite done with my L'Oreal Project Runway Fall 2012 coverage yet as I've still got a few polishes to show you, which I picked up at my local Rite Aid a few weeks ago. If you'd like to see my review of some the eyeshadow quads from this year's Project Runway collection, click here. And you can see my review of one of the lipglosses here and one of the lipsticks here.

If you haven't been able to find this collection in drugstores near you, you can purchase most of the collection on the Ulta website (NOTE: as of the time of this post, the eyeshadow quads are on sale for $6; regularly $8.99).

Let's take a look at this polish, which was actually the one polish I wanted the most after see the early press photos of this collection:

L'Oreal Limited Edition Nail Color in The Temptress' Power
(retail: around $5.99, 0.39 oz)

Swatches, after the jump...


This polish is sort of a warm tan color, but it also contains a "veil" of seafoam green shimmer that is more pronounced at certain angles and in low lighting (see pic above). I wouldn't really call this a duochrome polish because the seafoam green shimmer is always present, unlike duochromes which truly change color depending on the angle/lighting.

I was really hoping that this would not be a super-sheer polish but, alas, it is. I needed three coats for what you see in my swatches below (I also did one coat over a black creme polish, just to show you what it looks like when used as a layering polish):


In the pic above, you can see that I've still got some VNL (visible nail line) after three coats. Also, over the black creme, The Temptress' Power just turns into a mostly frosty teal green. Not nearly as gorgeous or multidimensional as I had hoped.


Indoors:


I don't know if it's just that warn tans don't generally look good against my skintone or what, but I'm not feeling this color one bit. The seafoam green shimmer isn't a sharp enough contrast to the tan base color to make it truly eye-catching, but if you like subtle shifts in color, this could be perfect for you. 

Do you own any of the Project Runway Fall 2012 nail colors? What's your favorite? I've got one more polish to show you from this collection--check back for it soon if you're interested!
SHARE:

22 comments

  1. It's magic for layering though...especially over greens. Really dazzling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to try this over green because I just don't like it over black. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I was at the dentist this afternoon and needed a script filled ASAP so I went into the ghetto Kroger I never shop and stumbled upon a full, untouched display of this collection. *success fist* And it was all on sale (polishes $3!) The one good thing to come of this bloody toothache. Anyhoo, I had to have The Temptress' Touch and it is the best (unintentional) Halloween color of the season. It's a glowing, ghoulish green with a shimmering pumpkin flash. I can't stop looking at my fingertips. Don't pass this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I own all of the polishes, and my favorite so far has been the darker purple of the Mystic colors. It's apparently also great for stamping, being a near one-coater for a regular manicure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It figures that I passed that one up. Lol!

      Delete
  4. Totally agree - looks great over blues & purples too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually think this looks great! I really like it over black ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been pretty disappointed with this year's collection. Nothing has won me over the way Owl's Night did last year. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely been hit or miss for me.

      Delete
  7. i picked this up a week or so ago and have to say i was disappointed with it as well. it really clashed against my fair skin tone and the visible nail line was annoying. i layered it over a few different colors and havent come up with a way to wear it yet. i have three others from the collection and theyre all gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad i'm not alone! I really don't like how this looks against my skin either. :( Hopefully we'll both find a good base color for it. *fingers crossed*

      Delete
  8. This is the only recent L'Oreal that's caught my attention, but I'm not feeling the color on its own, either. It's just the duochrome quality that looks great. Maybe you can try layering it over a color like Kalahari Kiss or an orange like Citrine? I'd be interested if you can find a way to make this color work for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh thanks for both of those recs! I'll definitely try both and let you know! :)

      Delete
  9. Ooohh that colours stunningg!

    Jazz x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got this one, too, and almost took it back. Then I tried it over several polishes and loved it over the coppery ones (fave was Finger Paints Artists Inspiration, a dark copper).

    ReplyDelete
  11. SO disappointing! I meant to do a blog post on them but I never got around to it :P I took bottle shots of all of them and was going to compare them to the promo pics here: http://news.instyle.com/photo-gallery/?postgallery=125255 And this was one of the collections that my crazy self totally stalked until I found it...then I didn't buy a single one. So bummed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wonder what it would look like layered over like a tan or camel creme, so it wouldn't alter the shade as much as the black? Like maybe the 2nd from the right in your most recent SH CSM post?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmm, have you tried using over white or just a plain brown? If you use the brown alone from one of the Moon Candy polishes, maybe it will work that way. And with the white, what about the Wet N Wild you mentioned or even Snow Me White from Sinful?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've got it on right now layered over tan (St. Tropez from Essie), and the green shimmer is actually dominant this way. It's a unique color, for sure--I think this is the look you were hoping for. It actually behaves like a true duochrome, even though it isn't, turning pale terracotta at the angles that it shows tan. Try it!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig